A glucometer is simply a glucose-measuring instrument and its main purpose is to determine the concentration of glucose or sugar levels in the blood. Using the design principles, the meter assesses a small sample of blood.
Then it gives out a numeric value for the glucose content which can be evaluated against the expected values. The best way to keep track of your health is probably through consistent monitoring coupled with corrective measures.
One of these conditions that require regular checks is diabetes. The meter was developed in the early 60s by American scientists in an effort to get well ahead of the disease and give patients a fighting chance.
Of course, the efficiency and accuracy go way beyond design features and can be compromised by conditions such as blood constituents and general cleanliness of the device. Here we have also listed buyers guide for best Blood Pressure Machines to check the bp levels at home.
Best 11 Glucometer Brands in India
Buyers Guide – Glucometer
To ensure the quality of the meters, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has a set of regulations that regulate the device’s accuracy levels which is in the ±15% range of tolerance.
Having a glucometer in the house is therefore critical especially for individuals who have been diagnosed with any type of diabetes in order to facilitate corrective action depending on the findings of the analysis.
- The best meter should provide accurate readings in a timely manner to avoid prolonged processes since it involves blood.
- Sufficient supplements must be available to smoothen the process.
- Such as alcohol swabs and cost-effective strips yet at the same time without a quality compromise.
- The best glucometers must provide alternative power sources.
- Such as rechargeable batteries or solar provisions to promote portability and usage versatility.
- The use of domestic glucometers has since been found to improve the management of diabetes.
Types of Diabetes
Diabetes itself is a condition whereby the body fails to produce enough insulin or inefficiently resulting in an inability to extract the blood sugar and utilize it accordingly for body energy provisions, subsequently resulting in high concentrations of glucose in the blood.
The disease comes in several variations which are unique as per their symptoms& occurrence:
Type 1 Diabetes:
- The condition whereby the immune system perceives the cells that produce vital insulin as foreign bodies or harmful elements and hence attacks and destroys them.
- Once these cells are destroyed, the body is left without any source of insulin and can therefore no longer process sugar.
- The reason for the onset of this condition remains a mystery to scientists however it is believed to be triggered by environmental conditions.
- Type 1 diabetes is usually easier to diagnose compared to other types due to its unique and drastic symptoms such as sudden weight loss.
- Thus this type afflicts mainly the younger generations.
Type 2 Diabetes:
- This variety results from a body’s inability to utilize the insulin produced from the beta cells.
- The organ responsible for the production of the insulin, the pancreas, therefore, overwork in an effort to cover up for the body’s inefficiency.
- Hence end up ‘exhausted’ and producing less than enough of the insulin.
- Also, it is more common in elderly demography approaching their 50s.
- This will once again lead to high sugar levels in the blood.
- While the causes of this type of diabetes also remains a mystery.
- It is believed to be genetic and more common in obese individuals or people who do not partake in regular exercise.
- Type 2 diabetes has a few unique symptoms such as dark patches in the softer regions of the body.
Such as the neck coupled with an abnormal feeling in the feet that gives a numbing sensation although the condition is way more complicated to identify without proper testing.
This type of diabetes is found in pregnant women and is caused by hormones produced during this condition which unfortunately blocks the insulin produced by the pancreases from performing its duties.
General Symptoms of Diabetes
Keep in mind that you need to have knowledge of sugar testing levels & testing kits. There are several indicators of diabetes common throughout all the types of the condition.
These symptoms include:
- General fitness is also essential in promoting the body to process its insulin better.
- Impaired or diminished vision outside of the normal or regular vision experienced by the patient.
- A suddenly irate or dry skin, usually accompanied by wounds that seem to take longer to heal.
- An uncharacteristic and repetitive urination urge.
- Feeling sudden and intense thirstiness or hunger.
- An inexplicable feeling of fatigue or disorientation.
The progression of diabetes can lead to more serious health complications such as sight challenges, skin conditions, and damage to the kidney as well as possible loss of limbs. The disease is combatted by rigorous monitoring and the use of insulin to assist the body in processing its sugar.
Types of Glucometers
While the initial meters were simply composed of strips that would simply change color, further, improvement has enabled precise indications that can actually quantify digitally the sugar levels in any blood sample.
Glucometers come in several types. The generic ones require a prick on the finger to obtain the blood sample for evaluation.
Below are the main glucometers categories in use or under development:
The Self-Monitoring Types:
- The best glucometers are self-monitoring.
- They can provide a reading within a few seconds using detectors.
- That works with the strip to give very accurate readings at the initiation of the patient either on a regular schedule or when suspecting diabetic symptoms.
Continuous Monitoring Types:
- This type is a permanent or semi-permanent fixture to the body of the patient
- Alos, it provides continuous evaluation as suggested by the name.
- The glucometer actually implanted just under the skin of the stomach region.
- It’s a more extensive type of monitoring to evaluate an individual’s patterns of sugar levels.
The Non-invasive Types:
- These meters are still under development but the principle is to avoid the use of blood to test sugar levels.
- That should be a welcome relief for patients from the pricking and constant blood handling.
How to Use the Glucometer?
The glucometer conveniently provides instant analysis of blood sugar levels at home which is quite convenient especially when determining whether the symptoms being experienced are linked to diabetic tendencies.
- The regular meters come with handy operational instructions lancets & strips.
- Therefore, be simple to use but generally one needs a cleaning agent like alcohol supplements, the strip, lancet, and of course the notebook for record tracking.
- It is essential to record the results in order to have a traceable history that can highlight patterns.
- After making sure everything is clean, simply select a region on the body for extracting the blood sample, commonly the fingertips.
- Then switch on the device and insert the test strip and wait for the machine to prompt for the blood sample.
- Once prompted, prick the finger (or wherever desired or directed) and let the blood get in contact with the strip.
- The type and degree of contact are usually specified for each machine depending on the design.
- And the meter should give a reading within a short while too.
- Make sure you clean up the pricked point to avoid infection and if the bleeding doesn’t stop immediately, cover up the wound.
List of Top 11 Glucometers in the Market
The best innovation that used to monitor the blood sugar levels is the glucometer. While there are lots of products on the market, below is a list of some of the best devices and supplies that can cater to domestic needs in an efficient and reliable manner.
1. Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One Glucometer Combo with 50 Strips in Multicolor:
This is from the Dr. Morepen brand & it comes with 50 strips. But these strips require quite minimal blood samples in order to work as well as no coding at all.
While the strips only intended for single-use, they provide quite effective testing abilities destined to give accurate results on the glucometer.
- Dr. Morepen Glucometer made with BIOSENSOR Technology & Auto code monitor.
- It comes with a large memory along with Lifetime Warranty.
- Also, it comes with 50 Strips of either black or white color.
- You can get quick results within 5 Secs.
- Only 0.5uL blood sample is enough for the testing
2. OneTouch Select Plus Simple Glucometer with 10 Free Strips:
This is from the OneTouch brand & it offers top-quality testing equipment, evidenced by the thousands of user reviews across the globe. Included strips ideally provide the best results when used with the same brand’s glucometer. It is very simple to use, no setup & no coding required.
- OneTouch Glucometer made with the latest International Standards of ISO 15197:2013.
- It comes with 10 free test strips & only 1ul blood is enough for the test.
- You can get easy to understand test results along with audio signals.
- The strips require a very minimal blood sample for testing & help to test sugar levels in the blood.
- It provides sufficient soaking abilities that promote accurate readings on the glucometer.
- The strips are for single-use only to overcome misleading results.
3. Dr. Trust (USA) Glucometer Machine Automatic Blood Sugar Testing with 60 Strips:
This product is from the Dr. Trust brand and it comes with 50 top quality test strips as well as a convenient lancet set. Despite being for a once-off use, the strips require no coding at all to generate results. It has a smiley indicator happy smiley indicates good health & sad smiley indicates bad health.
- Dr. Trust Glucometer made with LCD along with a backlight display that is easy to read at night.
- It comes with the strip ejection button feature that minimizes the risk of contagion.
- Also, it comes with a Remainder alarm to take measurements from time to time.
- This works in 3 modes
1. General Mode: Blood can be taken at any time of the day
2. AC Mode: Blood can be taken in the early morning on an empty stomach
3. PC Mode: Take the blood after having meals.
- The strips specially designed to work with minimum sample blood and the lancets provide a sufficient sample with a minimized prick.
4. Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Monitoring Meter Kit Vial of 10 Free Strips:
This product is from the Accu-check brand and it is one of the most accurate systems. Also, it is an ISO 15197:2013 certified product. You can view an average of your test results from the last 7 or 14 or 30 or even 90 days.
- Accu-Chek Glucometer made with a built-in USB port for transferring test results to a computer ea.
- It comes with a 10multi colored strip uniquely designed for the best reading minimized of errors
- This device utilizing the barest minimum blood sample & a non-coded operation.
- During the process is handled correctly as instructed on the kit label.
- The strips come in a contamination-free pack so that it provides top-notch contamination prevention and marginalizes any risk of infection.
5. BeatO Glucometer Sugar Levels Testing Machine with 10 Strips:
This product is from the BeatO brand and it is an ultimate selection for determining blood sugar levels. The developers also ensured compatibility with the BeatO app for convenience. This product comes with an impressive 5-year warranty.
- BeatO Glucometer made with an integrated auto alert system that can interpret the results for the amateur users.
- It comes with 10 Strips designed to operate with a minimum blood sample without any compromises on the result.
- The device utilizes top of the range technology to accurately detect the glucose levels.
- Also, it gives off a digital display value with minimal errors, clinical accuracy & very marginal fluctuation between successive readings.
- The device is a lightweight & efficient product.
6. Apollo Sugar Smart Glucometer Blood Glucose Tester with 25 Gold Plated Strips:
This device is a classic innovation from the Apollo brand. The pack comes with 25 assorted strips for a diabetes test. A wireless facility even communicates the data recorded to selected medical facilities for evaluations, record keeping, or assistance services.
- Apollo Glucometer designed to sense sugar levels from a very minimal blood sample using the test strips.
- It is very portable and comes with replaceable batteries that make its usage convenient and reliable at all times.
- The device itself comes in a clinical white color that enhances hygienic practices.
- It provides efficient and accurate readings of blood sugar levels in a very short space of time.
- The accompanying user manual gives very simple and clear instructions on usage and operation without any medical staff at all.
7. Contour Plus One Blood Glucose Monitoring System Glucometer with 25 Free Strips:
This digital glucometer is from the Contour Plus brand and it is pretty accurate and reliable for domestic use. It features top of the range detection technology that can produce timeous results with very minimal error tolerances. This product ensures a reliable evaluation of sugar levels every time.
- Contour Glucometer designed to meet all regulations and conforms to the error tolerance range.
- The pack comes with 25 Free Strips of various colors which facilitate the reading using very minimal blood samples in a once-off use setting.
- The device is quite user-friendly and comes with a set of clear-cut instructions easily deciphered by end-users.
- It offers other impressive features such as an alert system for abnormal readings.
- This has reminder settings to make evaluations or set up appointments with medical personnel or facilities.
- The memory feature can take up to 800 readings which makes history tracking much easier.
8. Smart Care Glucometer with Lancing Device, 10 Lancets, 10 Smart Care Test Strips & Carry Case:
This product is from the Smart Care brand & supplementary test strips come in a 25 strip pack to test sugar levels. Only a small amount of blood sample 0.7 µL requires for the test.Easy to Use: This diabetic starter kit is easy to use and no coding is required.
- Smart Care Glucometer kit comes with diabetes meter, lancing device, 10 twist off lancets (30g), 10 test strips, batteries for the meter & carry case.
- It provides reliable testing features using a very small blood sample which still retains the highly accurate results from the glucometer.
- The strips conveniently packed to avoid any undesirable contamination and they promote quite time-efficient readings.
- It comes with alarm reminders along with 450 memory sets, date & time.
- These strips also deemed to perform better with their same brand glucometer.
9. ContourPlus Blood Glucose Monitoring System Glucometer with 25 Free Strips:
This top-quality glucometer from the ContourPlus brand & it is designed to obtain accurate results from a very small blood sample in a very short space of time. It can operate with capillary or venous whole blood depending on the convenience of the individual.
- ContourPlus Glucometer utilizes the latest detection technology with minimal errors well within the tolerance ranges.
- It comes with 25 Free Strips multi-colored for convenience and requires absolutely no coding to operate.
- Only 0.6µl blood sample is enough for the test.
- The device can be used for capillary or venous whole blood too
- This features a convenient alert system for any anomalies that may require further medical attention.
10. AccuSure Glucometer with 25 Free Test Strips:
This is from the AccuSure brand and it provides complete home care solutions for testing sugar levels in the blood. You will get expert advice on a diabetic diet.
- AccuSure Modern Glucometer offers the best technology for blood sugar levels detection.
- Also, it provides quantification on a convenient digital display.
- The device comes with 25 Test Strips of various colors
- It utilizes a very minimal blood sample without at all compromising the results.
- The product well-reviewed and a thoroughly tried and tested solution to home health devices.
11. JSB GS05 Round Glucometer Universal Lancing Device:
This product is from the JSB brand and it works with all glucometer lancet types.
- JSB GS05 Glucometer is a universal type device that is compatible with all lancet types.
- This product is quite standard and efficient for all home requirements.
- It comes in a pristine and hygiene-enhancing white color.
- Also, it comes with safety features like seals to ensure uncontaminated procedures.
At present, you have successfully checked the list of Best Glucometers in India. So that it should be easy for you to determine which sugar testing device best suits your requirements.
Now you are familiar with the features of the most popular glucometers which are available in the Indian market along with a good buying guide. As a result above options make it easy for you to make a proper choice.