During the nineteenth century, a revolution in the field of science and technology happened. Many instruments of measuring and determination came out. The colorimeter was one of them. Mainly, The colorimeters determine the concentration of any particle in a solution.
Any colored particle absorbs colors from the light passing through it that is absorbance. If that particle is present in a solution, the solution also performs absorbance. Beer-Lambert’s law defines absorbance and all of its physical properties. Colorimeter uses the Beer-Lambert law relating the attenuation of light to the properties of the materials. Also check the buyer’s guide for the best Portable Oxygen cylinder, Respirometers & Pulse Oximeters.
The colorimeter is an optical instrument. It is used in physical optics and determines the presence of electrons and protons. It compares the measuring data of attenuation to the programmed data. After that, comparing these data the colorimeter determines the concentration of different materials present in the solution.
Top 7 Best Colorimeters in India
Features of Colorimeter
- Colorimeters come in different strengths, shapes, and applications.
- They can be used for different solid, liquid solutions, and pure liquids.
- It can do the screening of water samples finding all the minerals and particles in them.
- It can determine the usability of the water and approve its use for different purposes.
- The chemical industry is actively relying on the functioning of the colorimeter.
- It can easily find out the purity and quality of the final product.
- Finding out counterfeit drugs and banknotes is also a purpose of the colorimeter.
- The gemstone dealers also use it to find out the range and intensity of different colors in the stones.
- Also, there is a huge use colorimeter to find the plant’s nutrient and in case of doing hemoglobin tastes in blood.
- Finally, the colorimeter is used in the printing industry to replicate and print the colors of a design.
Types of Colorimeters
The colorimeters can be of different types according to structure and function.
- Color densitometers and color photometers are the two basic types of colorimeters.
- Color densitometers can calculate the density of the primary colors and color photometers can determine the reflection and transmission of colors.
- Determining the color density and shades of cloths or other prints, we use a handheld colorimeter.
- Chemical colorimeters determine the presence and percentage of different particles in a solution.
- It can find both colorful and colorless particles in a solution.
- Gran colorimeters can analyze different properties of gemstones like ruby and diamonds.
- Tristimulus colorimeters work with the color density and quality controls of any particle while using the reflection of light from it.
- Spectroradiometer and spectrophotometer use the whole range of ultraviolet rays and visible lights. Then it will determine the absorbance and transmittance of light traveling through a solution.
Buyers Guide for Colorimeter
- A colorimeter can have a huge fluctuation in price depending on its size and strength.
- There are many new and used colorimeters available in the market.
- But first, you have to know your need for buying a colorimeter and approach the market according to it.
- Digital colorimeter or lab colorimeter has its use in the medical fields, clinical diagnosis, biochemistry, environmental testing, and pharmaceutical fields.
- The digital colorimeter uses a specified light source that will emit light of a specific frequency.
- It uses different parameters like light absorbance, color reagents, and color-changing detectors.
- The instrument itself can be of multi-parameters or single parameters.
- The handheld colorimeters are used in printing, graphics, and photo-lab industries.
- Mainly these are single parameters based. On the other hand, chemical colorimeters are used in different labs.
- They are used for substance recognition, chemical attributes detection, and properties of different chemical products.
- These are mainly multi-parameters-based.
How to use Colorimeter?
- Mainly, It consists of three different parts. Firstly, there is a light source.
- Then there will be a cuvette containing a liquid solution.
- Finally, there is a photocell detector that will receive the light signal passing through the solution.
- The frequency and properties of the light emission from the source are fixed. The light can be both ultraviolet and visible light.
- Certainly, the properties of the light depend on the solution to be tested.
- Then the light passes through the cuvette.
- The solution in the cuvette absorbs the light according to its atomic structure.
- Then the detector receives the passing light and analyzes it.
- Beer-Lambart’s law measures the attenuation of light.
- Finally, by analyzing all these results, we can find out all the atoms and their concentration in the solution.
List of Top 7 Best Colorimeters in India
Here is a top 7 list of colorimeters that are available in the market.
1. Lab Junction Colorimeter
A digital and fully automated advanced colorimeter.
– Firstly, it allows a 1ml sample volume analysis in the range of 400 to 700 nm.
– Secondly, it comes with a battery operating option.
– Moreover, it offers smooth touch keys.
– Mainly, the result found, is not reproducible.
2. SKY TECHNOLOGY, STI-404
A digital colorimeter and very compatible for laboratory use.
– Firstly, it has 8 filters in the color-wheel.
– Secondly, it has a 2.5 digit led display.
– Moreover, it operates in the range of 400 to 680 nm.
– Finally, the product comes at a very cheap price.
– Firstly, there is no battery in it.
– Most importantly, the product is not much durable.
3. Sky Technology India, STI -403
An auto colorimeter and comes with 8 filters in the color-wheel.
Pros – Firstly, this is an auto colorimeter and there are 8 different color-wheels for different particles.
– Secondly, it has a different test tube holder to hold the cuvettes.
– Thirdly, it shows the result in a digital screen in 2.5 digits.
– Finally, it gives the result in a range from 400 nm to 700 nm
– Firstly, it doesn’t come with a battery.
– The product doesn’t offer any warranty and this is the only con for the product.
4. Genist Microprocessor Colorimeter
It is mainly a box-shaped colorimeter and comes in a great design for holding the sample.
– Firstly, it has a wavelength range from 400 nm to 700 nm.
– Secondly, it offers a filter disc with 8 filters.
– Moreover, two and a half digit seven segment display.
– Finally, it offers a silicon photodiode as a detector and red led display.
– The product is a great deal at its price and there is no issue without the warranty.
5. LALCO D.P. Lab Instruments Photo Colorimeter
A fully automatic colorimeter has a smart look and shape. Also, it comes with nine different filters.
– Firstly, the product has an exotic look and full digital operations.
– Secondly, the product is completely automatic and offers nine digital filters.
– Moreover, it comes with a 6V Ni-Re-chargeable battery.
– Further, it offers automatic zero settings with finger touch that works in the range 400-700 nm.
– Firstly, this product has a very high price.
– Secondly, no warranty is available.
6. ACCURETA Digital Auto Zero Colorimeter
A small-sized colorimeter that offers a great option for fixing auto zero value.
– Firstly, it has a zero set option auto zero key.
– Secondly, it has an 8 set color filter.
– Further, it has a display of 7 segments.
– Finally, the results reading is 0.00 – 2.00 OD and the wavelength range is 400-700 nm.
– Firstly, the product doesn’t come with a battery.
– Secondly, the product doesn’t offer a warranty.
– Finally, the product is not fully digital.
7. Labgo Deluxe Photo Colorimeter 0024
A small size photo colorimeter and comes with 8 filters.
– Firstly, it has an 8 set glass filter.
– Secondly, 5 mini cuvette capacity.
– Finally, led 2.5 digits and range 400-700 nm.
– Overall, the product is a great deal for its price.
– Firstly, the product doesn’t provide a warranty.
– Most importantly, the product doesn’t include any user manual and information. So, it is very tough to operate the product.
The colorimeter is an essential asset in many fields like biology, chemistry, diagnostic, and the medical industry. Many sensitive works like water screening are done through the colorimeter. So, it is very important to ensure the correct measuring value of the samples. Though the purpose could be different for the instrument it’s most important to select the one with minimal error and maximum correcting value.
What is a colorimeter used for?
A colorimeter is mainly used for finding the concentration of colored particles in a solution. It finds the density of colors, reflection, and transmission of colors in a particle.
- What unit does a colorimeter use?
Colorimeter mainly measures transmittance on a linear scale from 0-100% and absorbance on a logarithmic scale from zero to infinity. The displayed value is in mg/L or ppm which the meter measures from this
value of transmittance and absorbance.