A hand sanitizer is a liquid or gel manufactured to reduce, remove, and kill bacteria or viruses that cause infections and may lead to the weakening of the immune system. However, hand sanitizers are not as effective as handwash soap in killing viruses and certain germs such as clostridium difficile or norovirus.
Compared to soap and water, it is not suitable for removing harmful chemicals. Most hand sanitizers are made with less concentrated alcohol content and, therefore, may not be effective in proper hygiene.
Also, some people wrongly use sanitizer and wipe it off instead of letting the gel dry off. However, alcohol-based hand sanitizers are preferred in healthcare centres compared to soap and water. Also, check the buyers guide for Best Surface disinfectant sprays, Best Handwash Liquids in India, Best infrared thermometer, & Best Face masks Online
This is because they are more effective in reducing bacteria. Also, most of the sanitizers are friendly and gentle to the human skin and recommended by dermatologists.
Best 10 Hand Sanitizers in India
Buyers Guide – Hand Sanitizer
First and foremost, you have to recognize what a sanitizer is. A hand sanitizer aids to clean your hands and does not require water since it is self-drying.
Hand sanitizers either be alcohol-based gel, alcohol-free gel, or liquid, and it can also be in the form of hand wipes.
- Understand when and how to use the sanitizer to avoid unknown injuries such as burns or skin irritation.
- Sanitizers are used for personal hygiene and used anytime you come into contact with materials.
- That may contain harmful microorganisms that are barely visible to the human eye.
- It can be used by people from the age of two years and above.
- Also, it is mostly used in healthcare centres, schools, and homes.
- Hand sanitizers are available in various sizes: mini sanitizers, medium-sized ones, and bulk sanitizers.
- Keep an eye out for features you may require in your sanitizer ingredients such as vitamin E, consistency of the sanitizer, size, and scent.
Features of a Hand Sanitizer
Hand sanitizers can either be alcohol-based or non-alcohol based. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers contain a combination of isopropyl alcohol, n-propanol, and ethyl alcohol containing 60% to 95% of alcohol composition.
Just consider below points while choosing a sanitizer:
- Various compounds such as glycerol are added to help protect the hands from reactions or irritations and prevent the skin from becoming dry and harsh.
- Non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers contain triclosan or benzalkonium chloride; however, they are less effective than the alcohol-based ones.
- Some of the hand sanitizer agents may contain fragrances.
- But they are mostly avoided due to allergenic reactions that may lead to respiratory infections, dizziness, loss of memory, and headaches.
- Some sanitizers are composed of other antiseptics like quaternary ammonium components and chlorhexidine, sporicides like hydrogen peroxide.
- These are used to exterminate bacterial spores in the sanitizer gel, gel components, and emollients.
- These are used to prevent skin irritation and dryness, some also contain small amounts of distilled water.
- Apart from this, sanitizers may also contain colourants, foaming agents or fragrances.
Types of Hand Sanitizers
There are three common types of hand sanitizers: alcohol-based hand sanitizers, triclosan hand sanitizers, and hand sanitizer gels containing quaternary ammonium.
Alcohol-based Hand Sanitizers
- These hand sanitizers are composed of ethanol, which is highly effective in killing fungal organisms and both negative or positive gram bacteria.
- However, the sanitizer does not destroy developed viruses or bacterial spores.
- The purpose of ethanol is to take away the proteins contained in the infectious organisms.
- Please note that alcohol-based hand sanitizers are flammable.
Quaternary Ammonium Hand Sanitizers
- The compounds found in this type of sanitizers are benzethonium chloride or benzalkonium chloride.
- Compared to the ethanol-based hand sanitizers, they are not flammable.
- The fungistatic and bacteriostatic compounds contained in the hand sanitizer fight against positive-gram bacteria and negative-gram bacteria.
- Similar to the alcohol-based sanitizers, they do not kill viruses.
Triclosan Hand Sanitizer
- This is a standard compound used in making detergents, handwash agents, and other antibacterial products such as soaps, mouthwashes, toothpaste, etc.
- Triclosan kills microorganisms by damaging the organisms’ cell membranes.
- However, the compound has a weak effect on negative-gram bacteria like Pseudomonas.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has declared triclosan not safe and might cause unnecessary risks such as affecting aquatic life.
How Does a Hand Sanitizer Work?
Generally, Sanitizers provide a convenient and efficient way of maintaining hygiene when you don’t have access to soap and water. Reviews from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggest that non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers are not effective in destroying bacteria.
- General hand sanitizers are not equipped for destroying and killing viruses.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved hand sanitizers composed of ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, or benzalkonium chloride as the best active agents in killing germs.
- However, the critical ingredient is alcohol. It is an organic molecule comprising oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon, forming ethanol, propanol, or isopropanol.
- Therefore, the alcohol agent breaks apart proteins in the organisms, splitting the cells and destroying the cells membranes.
- Here the concentration of alcohol determines the effectiveness of the sanitizer in killing the germs.
- The added ability of alcohol prevents viruses or bacteria from developing a resistance mechanism.
Top 10 Best Hand Sanitizer to Buy Online in India:
Consider the availability and access of the sanitizer to prevent a shortage. Since it is essential to maintain hygiene and make sure you research the different types of hand sanitizers.
1. Lifebuoy Total 10 Immunity Boosting Hand Sanitizer in 50 ml Pack:
The Lifebuoy gel hand sanitizer is enriched with vitamin E. The sanitizer naturally moisturizes the skin leaving a soft, gentle texture on the hands. Also, this sanitizer is not sticky at all.
- Lifebuoy Hand Sanitizer made with antibacterial components.
- It comes with quality packaging.
- This is a quality product
- Lifebuoy Sanitizer is convenient for travelling too.
- Quite expensive
- Strong scent
2. BoroPlus Hand Sanitizer with Advanced Anti-Germ in 50ml Pack of 4:
The BoroPlus hand sanitizer is an alcohol-based agent & recommended by health practitioners. The sanitizer has moisturizing and antiseptic properties that kill bacteria and also gentle on the hands.
- BoroPlus Hand Sanitizer made with tulsi and neem.
- It is totally gentle on your hands.
- This is an alcohol-based sanitizer
- BoroPlus sanitizer is affordable for everyone.
- Strong fragrance
- Poor packaging
3. Himalaya Pure Hands Hand Sanitizer Pack of 2 500 ml:
The Himalaya hand sanitizer is efficient to use on the go. It is is an effective & alcohol-based that kills 99.9% germs.
- Himalaya Hand Sanitizer is made from natural ingredients such as ushira, hrivera, coriandrol, and neem.
- This sanitizer is gentle on hands.
- Himalaya sanitizer is absolutely safe for regular usage.
- This product is also affordable for everyone
- Strong scent
- Mucky consistency
4. Dabur Sanitize Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer Regular in 500 ml:
This is from the Dabur brand & it is made from 60% alcohol is one of India’s most trusted products. It is available in three different fragrances: regular, strawberry, and lemon. Recommended for regular hand cleaning and also can be used to clean surfaces.
- Dabur Hand Sanitizer kills 99.9% of germs without the use of water & soap.
- And this is not sticky.
- This product is affordable for everyone
- Dabur Sanitizer is an alcohol-based sanitizer
5. Mediker Hand Sanitizer with 70% Alcohol-Based 500ml Pack & Instantly Kills 99.9% Germs :
The Mediker hand sanitizer is an alcohol-based sanitizer, non-sticky, and does not require rinsing. The sanitizer is tough on germs and protects you from infections.
- Mediker Hand Sanitizer has 70% Alcohol for effective germ protection.
- It comes with non-sticky & rinse-free formula that sanitizes hands instantly
- Mediker sanitizer is a portable & quality product
- Also, this is affordable for everyone.
- A quite expensive one
- Damaged & tampered product
6. Himalaya Pure Hand Sanitizers Orange in 500 ml:
This is a herbal alcohol-based sanitizer used in preventing infections and kills 99.9% of germs. The sanitizer protects the skin from damage from oxidants and prevents itching. It has a cooling effect which helps in extracting excess heat from the body.
- Himalaya Pure Hand Sanitizer provides protection on the go without using soap.
- This removes excess heat from the body & provides a cooling effect.
- Himalaya Sanitizer prevents itching & gentle on hands.
- This product is affordable for everyone
- Average quality
- Damaged packaging
7. Mirah Belle Hand Sanitizer FDA Approved 72.9% Alcohol-Based Sulfate Paraben in 50 ML Free Pocket Size Hand Cleanser:
This is an alcohol-based sanitizer that is approved by the FDA. It has a cooling effect on the skin. The sanitizer is non-irritating and moistens the skin.
- Mirah Belle Hand Rub Sanitizer is made from isopropyl, glycerine, triethanol, amine, and carbol.
- This sanitizer is gentle on the skin
- Also, this product is affordable for everyone
- Mirah Belle sanitizer has a nice scent smell.
- Poor packaging
8. Amazon Brand Solimo Hand Sanitizer Gel with 75% Alcohol, Aloe Vera & Tea Tree Oil in 500 ml Bottle:
The Amazon hand sanitizer contains vitamin E, aloe vera, and tea tree extracts. The sanitizer has a non-sticky composition and is gentle on the hands.
- Amazon Brand Solimo Hand Sanitizer made with Tea Tree, Aloe Vera, and Vitamin E extracts that protect your skin.
- It comes with quality packaging
- This product is easy to use
- Amazon Solimo Sanitizer has a non-stick effect
- Quite expensive
- Low alcohol content
9. Mirah Belle Hand Rub Sanitizer Paraben Free Hand Cleanser Best for Men, Women & Children Sulfate in 500 ML :
The Mirah Belle brand approved by the FDA. The sanitizer requires no rinsing, leaves no sticky residue, and has a cooling effect. It used multiple times in a day.
- Mirah Belle Hand Sanitizer made with propyl alcohol, glycerine, carbopol, and triethanolamine.
- It is gentle, non-irritating, and moisturizes the skin.
- This product is easy to use & affordable for everyone
- Mirah Belle Sanitizer helps in improving the quality of your skin.
- Poor quality product
- Not very effective
10. Oriley Waterless Hand Sanitizer with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol-Based Rinse-free Palm Cleaner Handrub in 100ml:
The Oriley waterless hand sanitizer made from isopropyl. This is an alcohol-based sanitizer. Also, the sanitizer is non-sticky, requires no water, and does not irritate the skin. The sanitizer offers long-lasting protection from bacteria and is easy to use.
- Oriley Hand Sanitizer a 70% Isopropyl Alcohol-based palm cleanser that removes germs from your hand.
- This is gentle on the hands
- Also, Oriley sanitizer is easy to use too
- And this is convenient for travelling
- A quite expensive one
- Strong scent
At the present moment, you have successfully reviewed the list of top 10 best hand sanitizers. So, it should easy for you to determine which sanitizer best for you.
All the above options make it easy for you to buy the best hand sanitizer for you along with valuable benefits.
Which hand sanitizer is the best?
Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are best in killing bacteria.
Which hand sanitizer alcohol-based?
Hand sanitizers that contain isopropyl alcohol.
How do you make simple hand sanitizer?
Swirl a mix of essential oils, vitamin E oil, and isopropyl alcohol in a bowl, then add aloe vera to the mix. Finally, bottle the product.
Is Himalaya Hand Sanitizer Alcohol-based?
Yes, the Himalaya sanitizer alcohol-based.
How do you test the alcohol content in sanitizer?
A hydrometer helps in determining alcohol content in sanitizers.
How can you tell the quality of the sanitizer?
Quality sanitizers absorbed when applying due to their alcohol content.
How can I test my sanitizer?
You can try the flame test. But the convenient way is to put a small amount of the sanitizer on your palm and rub it through your hand & in between your fingers. The sanitizer should dry off in less than a minute.
Why is it bad to use sanitizer?
Consistent use of non-alcohol-based sanitizers may damage the skin, cause dry skin, and may lead to antibiotic resistance.