A needle holder serves the purpose of gripping and pushing suturing needles. If you are a medic, there are times when you may need to buy needle holders. They especially help in wound closure operations. Another group of people for whom the needle holders can be helpful is that medical students. Nursing students too can benefit from these holders. Even students who are undertaking courses in zoology and veterinary studies may need the needle holders.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for Lancet Needles, Hand Sanitizer, Surface disinfectant sprays, Best infrared thermometer, Suction Machines, UV sterilizers, Hand wash liquids, Best Disinfectant sprays, Sanitary Pads, Whisper Pads, maternity pads, adult diapers, Disinfectant Wipes, Wet Wipes, Baby diapers, in India.
Top 10 Best Needle Holders in India
Features of Needle Holder
- The most vital feature of a needle holder is the blade length.
- From this, you can figure out which situations the holder would be helpful in.
- This also gives you a hint about the limitations of the usage of the holder.
- Another vital feature is corrosion resistance. Ideally, the holder should not be prone to rusting at all.
- There is also the ratchet lock sturdiness as a key feature. This tells us how safe and convenient to use the holder will be.
Types of Needle Holders
- There are Halsey-type needle holders. Then there are Castro-type needle holders. We also have others referred to as Mathieu-type needle holders.
- The Halsey-type needle holders are small and have a serrated design. They are ideal for use in delicate surgeries.
- The Castro-type needle holders come with flat (catch-spring) handles. They are ideal for use in micro surgeries.
- The Mathieu-type needle holders come with handles that are meant to be held at palm level. They are ideal for use during a wide range of stitching works.
Buying Guide for Needle Holder
- The main usage you intend for the needle holder should be the guiding consideration. This depends firstly on whether you are a student or a professional practitioner. It also depends on the field you are in medical, zoology, vet, and so on. Only buy the right type of holder for your situation.
- Also, consider the needle holder price. Be sure that you are not paying too much for a holder that you would get at a better price.
How To Use Needle Holder?
- The needle holder has two main uses: gripping the needle and pushing the needle during suturing.
- Usually, the holder has a ratchet lock. This is what you control using your thumb and middle finger (with a little support from the index finger). The idea is to ensure that the suture is held firmly and that it doesn’t slip.
- As with all other surgical tools, the holder needs thorough cleaning and sterilization before and after usage.
List of Top 10 Best Needle Holders in India-Buyers Guide
1. Hi-Tech (6 Inch) Needle Holders
Made using stainless steel. Ideal for use in suturing and other surgical operations.
- This is a sturdy needles holder
- versatile (as it is a multi-use needles holder)
- It does not rust
- Cleaning this needles holder fully requires quite some effort
- Blade length is a bit modest
2. Alis 3 Pcs Medical Student Suturing Tool Kit (With Needle Holder and Other Accessories)
What you get here is a needle holder, alongside forceps and scissors. The needle holder is of the 6-inch variety.
- The holder has a design with enhanced safety
- This is a potentially durable holder
- The weight for the holder is just right: not too heavy nor too light
- To get the holder, you also have to buy the forceps and scissors too
- The price for the entire (3-item) kit may be out of reach for some
3. GPlus Stainless Steel Needle Holders and Forceps
This is a set of two items: a needle holder and forceps. Both are made from rust-free material.
- This holder is quite simple to use
- It is designed in a manner that makes it easy to clean
- The price for this 2-item set is not too high
- Only suitable for use in a narrow range of suturing operations
- The finishing for both the forceps and holder could be better
4. Forgesy Instrument Set – Toothed Forceps and Needle Holders
Both the forceps and holder are designed for easy handling. Ideal for use in many types of surgeries.
- The holder is made from stainless steel, which does not rust easily
- Quite easy to sterilize
- The holder’s design is such that it doesn’t easily slip
- You can’t get the holder alone: you have to buy it along with the forceps
- The holder’s joint may eventually become loose
5. IS IndoSurgicals 6-Inch Bozeman Needle Holders
Suitable for use in a wide range of dissections as well as actual surgeries. Made using rust-free metal.
- The holder has the potential to give service for long
- Blade length is quite good
- Its design makes it rather convenient to handle
- The price for this holder is a bit high
- It comes in simple packaging
6. Cambia Olsen Hegar Needle Holders (with pair of Scissors)
Ideal for use during delicate surgery. The material is fully polished steel.
- Designed to minimize the user’s strain
- Comes with a warranty
- Allows for precise movements
- Some may initially struggle with the holder’s weight
- The price for this needles holder may be beyond some people’s budget
7. Hi-Tech 8 Inch Stainless Steel Needle Holders
Suitable for use in gripping and pushing needles while suturing (including in wound treatments). Not prone to rusting (as it is a stainless steel holder).
- This is a rather easy-to-use holder
- Its big blade length makes it suitable for use in a wide range of situations
- The price for this holder is quite reasonable
- It has a dull finish
- Takes quite some time to adequately sterilize
8. CASTRO Micro Straight Delicate Needle Holders
Comes with an 11 mm jaw length. Ideal for use in ophthalmology.
- The design makes this holder quite convenient (and less tiring) to use
- Since it comes with no lock, it is easy to clean the entire surface ease
- The handle design minimizes the risk of easy slippage
- This is quite a costly needles holder
- It is not versatile (but only suitable for the 10/0 suture in eye surgery)
9. FusionKraft 8-Inch Mayo Hegar Needle Holders
Comes with straight jaws. The serrations on its surface have a crisscrossing pattern.
- Its ratchet lock is quite sturdy (which can translate into greatly enhanced durability)
- The 8-inch blade length makes the needles holder ideal for a wide range of real-life uses
- It wouldn’t rust easily (as this needles holder is made using stainless steel)
- The ring-type handles with which this needles holder comes may take a while to get used to
- This is a relatively costly needles holder
10. Arineo Mayo Hegar 6” Stainless Steel Needle Holders
This needles holder is made using 410-grade stainless steel. Works quite well even in relatively delicate suturing situations.
- This is one of the more highly durable needle holders
- The design of this needles holder allows for very easy usage
- Once you open up its jaws, it should be easy enough to sterilize
- For some uses, a 6-inch needles holder like this one may prove too small
- In this case, you only get the needles holder (meaning other suturing accessories like forceps have to be separately procured)
A good quality needle holder is essential for safe and efficient suturing operations. This guide has the info you need to help you purchase the best needle holder for your needs.
How does a needle holder work?
By gripping the needle during suturing and helping in pushing the needle that bears the suture thread.
What is the needle holder called?
Some also refer to it as the needle driver.
What is the price of a needle holder?
Needle holder price mostly ranges from 300 to 800 Indian rupees, depending on their type and quality.