Vehicle tracking systems
Features of Tracking Systems
How the GPS Tracker Works?
Types of Vehicle Tracking Systems
- Data Logger
- Data pusher
- The Data pullers
- Interface Features
Best VTSs; Features, Pros & Cons
- ZAICUS ST-901 GSM &GPS Tracker
- AutowizObdGps Car Tracker
- Garmin GPS etrex10
- LETSTRACK Vehicle GPS Tracking Device
- SAM GPS Security Mini Waterproof GPS Tracker Device
- TrackME G-101 GSM based GPS Tracker
- Trakbond GPS Tracker
- Akari Gt02A GPS Tracker Device
- ZAICUS 4 Band car GPS Tracker GT02A
- G06NW GT-06N GOOME Real-Time GPS Vehicle Tracking
Have you ever wondered how employers keep track of their employees who are out in the field? The modern world has made this pretty easy. It’s pretty easy to be tracked down as long as you have some equipment with you. The latest technological innovations have perfected these tracking techniques. Tracking devices have become quite minute and inconspicuous. The main agenda for all these innovations is vehicle tracking. Vehicle tracking systems enable real-time pin-point location to the administrator usually via GPS systems.
Many people have made quite a stink about the ethical implications of tracking systems. Other benefits however far outweigh this objection. In fact, employers rarely use these systems to track down employee activity. Rather, they provide secure systems against theft and hijacking. Of course, they inadvertently expose any other unscrupulous activities. Advanced systems can easily provide more comprehensive fleet data. This can help in maintenance planning for firms.
Features of Tracking Systems
The typical tracking system doesn’t require much to operate. The main features are usually based on the type of device. For every functionality, there will be a component to facilitate it. More modern devices are however no longer as cumbersome as the earlier ones. The following are some of the key features;
- A power source: gadget designing now comprises advanced tech. Smaller batteries with higher endurance and power ratings are now available. The device can also derive power from a solar system either integrated into the device shell or in a different location. Main vehicle power sources can power up the device whether from the engine generator or the vehicle’s batteries.
- Communications antennae; not all devices necessarily possess this feature. The antennae however the receptor and transmitter of all communications and can even transmit in real-time on advanced devices.
- The server; devices are useless without deciphering of the transmissions. The server is configured to pick up any transmissions either continuously or at designated intervals. It provides an exchange platform for the device and the output interface.
As mentioned, the main utilization for vehicle tracking systems is in fleet tracking systems. This extends from public traffic control to personal fleet monitoring. Businesses use this positioning technology to manage resources. This improves efficiency since operations rarely go as planned. Relying on planned schedules can lead to delays from unplanned inconveniences. A tracing system, however, will help give the actual progress whether its personnel travel or goods delivery.
The public system has also greatly benefited from vehicle tracking systems. For instance, buses and trains can be pinpointed by the responsible authorities. Passengers can also use this information to make travel decisions. It can also help authorities to make performance evaluations based on actual results observed on the tracking system.
For the aviation industry, tracking significantly improves the safety factor of flying. These systems help the traffic controllers to make informed decisions when directing aircraft. In these industries, a higher accuracy level is a must.
Parents have also found these tracking systems to be useful for keeping tabs on their children. This aspect can, of course, be challenged on ethical grounds. It’s however worth noting that this application has saved lives in many instances. Parents have previously fouled abductions and vehicle theft attempts.
Insurance and Policing
Ultimately, insurance and policing recommendations have popularised the use of tracking systems for vehicles. This does not however actually provide physical safety barriers. It however greatly improves recovery rates which will subsequently discourage theft. Most car manufacturers have already started installing these tracking devices on their products. These tracking devices can also help alert the owners as well as the security organs of any unusual activity.
Navigation becomes easier if you can retrace your steps when lost or disoriented. The vehicle tracking system is often equipped with a history display option. Movement evaluation becomes possible there forth.
How many times have you lied to your boss that you are sick? Many employers catch employees off-guard at the beach after feigning illness yet using a company vehicle for other activity. These tracking systems can, therefore, provide effective employee monitoring, especially during working hours.
Vehicle tracking systems can also help in making personal economic and activity evaluations. Most drivers have at some point tried to determine their exact fuel consumption, distance to and from a location and so on. Having a clear record of distance and speed can definitely improve the accuracy and ease of such valuations.
The use of tracking systems has its own downsides. Bad elements can take advantage of tracking data to better eliminate their targets. It can also pose a very grave invasion of privacy risks for employees, children and even important public figures.
How the GPS Tracker Works
The GPS tracker uses radio technology to locate any target. 24 satellites globally make up the system as well as their ground stations. GPS is available for civilian applications after a stint in military applications originally. The system can pinpoint the location of anything with a GPS tracker. The tracker makes use of the Global Navigation Satellite System network. Special satellite signals are transmitted by the system which are received and processed to give location and speed. The orbiting satellites provide consistent radio signal transmissions to the ground. Tracking stations located across the globe help the system to estimate the location to within very close tolerances.
The locating system uses three satellites for each triangulation to detect position accurately. The receiver, therefore, must be able to pick up a transmission from at least three satellites. Devices that can receive signals from more satellites provide better accuracy. This concept has also been in practice for a while using cell phone tower signals. Manufacturers of mobile devices have however since adapted to the GPS systems due to its better accuracy and wider ranges.
Types of Vehicle Tracking Systems
There is quite a variety of tracking devices on the market. The passive and active type are broad categories. The passive types are basically data storage devices that simply record all the activity going on around a vehicle. The data recorded by this type of tracking device is accessed after the vehicle returns to base for analysis. Already, this design poses a lot of loopholes especially when used as a safety device. The ‘black box’ is an advanced version for aircraft. The main purpose is to understand the vehicle’s condition in case of an accident.
The active tracking system is a more interactive type. This system requires installations on both the vehicle and at the base station. These installations will provide a line of communication at all times. It will, therefore, provide real-time tracking. The device on the vehicle records all its designated parameters and transmits it. The device at the station will receive the data and analyses according.
This system provides more effective racking and can identify any anomalies quickly. More advanced tracking devices now combine both active and passive operations. This helps provide real-time tracking while ensuring that data will not be lost in case transmission fails for one reason or the other.
There are several types of GPS tracking systems that can be implemented on vehicles. The differences are mainly in operation principles and therefore provides different levels of convenience for users.
This type of tracker simply records the interval location of a vehicle depending on the pre-setting. This tracker provides a sort of ‘dot-map’. The map can be interlinked to show movement patterns. This type is passive since the purpose is simply to provide route optimization.
This is the most popular type since it provides interval data on location as well as greater interaction features. It is basically a GPS Beacon. The ability to transmit for instant analysis makes it an active and real-time device.
The Data pullers
This type of tracker is an as transponders. They don’t just provide intermittent transmission of location data but rather transmit on request. They are therefore more of demand-based devices. This can perhaps be in the event of theft maybe on a vehicle. The tracker will be dormant unless otherwise remotely activated on request.
There are several factors to consider when selecting the appropriate GPS tracker for use whether for individuals or organizations.
This is the main decider. You simply have to stay within your budget. The devices are usually unique in terms of accuracy based on their receiving abilities. This, therefore, means that the trackers can have the same function yet be starkly dissimilar in pricing.
There are several applications for trackers. The particular purpose for purchasing a tracker will determine the most appropriate type. For instance, if the reason s for security, a passive tracker cannot be used.
The ability to integrate the monitored system with the tracker is pretty vital. Trackers are used to monitoring multiple parameters such as refueling state, door states, and even vehicle performance parameters. This is way more than the standard location and speed tracking features. The tracker must, therefore, be capable of integrating with the system that controls or monitors all these parameters.
These high-tech gadgets will require frequent monitoring and calibration to retain accuracy and efficiency. Ensure that the selected device has reliable customer support that can assist in resolving issues and perform any other after-sales service.
Select a device that is simply easy to operate. The whole GPS technology is quite complex and therefore cannot be easily navigated. The best device must provide a very simplified interface with zero or minimal settings and calibration demands for the user to avoid complications.
Tracking is very much classifiable as a violation. Ensure that the desired track is within the confines of the local regulations and does not violate any right.
Best Vehicle tracking systems Features, Pros & Cons
1. ZAICUS ST-901 GSM &GPS Tracker
- Both motorized and non-motorized vehicles are suitable for this device.
- It features an impressively long-lasting battery. The battery is built-in securely into its body.
- The device is also waterproof to withstand the elements regardless of the selected location on the vehicle.
- It offers several alert systems for over speed and location shifts with very high accuracy levels.
- GPS sensitivity 162Db with location accuracy of 10 meters & 2D RMS
- Battery 150mah,geo-fence alarm, over speed alarm, low power alarm, Waterproof.
- Vehicle tracker Dimension is 3.2cm X 9cm
- Device weight is 81.6gms
- 1 Year free vehicle tracking software app.
2. AutowizObdGps Car Tracker
- This GPS tracker goes the extra mile and monitors car health in addition to location monitoring.
- The device provides top of the range real-time tracking for any size of the device with pinpoint accuracy.
- The car monitor gives critical details of temperature as well as an alert system for extreme conditions.
- It comes with a very handy tracking app
- Vehicle tracker 6.3cm x4.8cm x2.8cm & weight is 49.9gms
- Easy to setup & easily adjustable in cars OBDII Port.
3. Garmin GPS etrex10
- The Garmin tracker offers detailed location identification using an updated and preloaded worldwide base map.
- The system features a clarity enhanced 2.2-inch monochrome display.
- It uses a quick and accurate receiver that offers very reliable location data.
- The device is waterproof.
- It ensures normal performance in wet conditions or locations.
- Dimension- 3.3cm x 10.2cm x 5.3cm & weight is 141 gms
- It comes with a screen display of size 2.2inches
- No External memory but rechargeable battery is included.
4. LETSTRACK Vehicle GPS Tracking Device
- This device comes with a reliable battery for power provisions.
- It features top of the range receivers that can quickly establish locations and make transmissions at regular intervals.
- It is suitable for all kinds of devices and comes with effective attachment features.
- Vehicle Tracking GPS device dimensions 9cmx 4.5cm x1.4cm
- Device weight is 45.4gms
- Vehicle tracking device price is Rs. 4499
5. SAM GPS Security Mini Waterproof GPS Tracker Device
- This portable GPS tracker provides a convenient and inconspicuous monitoring system.
- It fits in all kinds of vehicles without the need for external power.
- The device offers real-time tracking via a cloud server, accessible via its application.
- It can record and evaluate vehicle movement and performance history for later evaluation.
- It also features a security alarm system that can raise an alarm when the vehicle goes beyond set boundaries or performs unusually.
- Maintains driving history & also geo-fence with daily statistics
- Device size is 7.8cm x4.1cm x1.3cm
- Weight is 27.2gms
- 1 Year Warranty
6. TrackME G-101 GSM based GPS Tracker
- The Trackme device offers one of the best monitoring systems for trucks and taxis.
- It comes with a convenient mobile application and a solid battery.
- It sends an SMS or call alert when the vehicle is started, over speeding or out of geo fence limit.
- GPS tracker can also run on both the android system and the IOS system for convenience.
- The tracker can operate both passively and actively depending on preference settings with an optional monitoring alarm system.
- It works with any 2G Simcard
- Dimension is 80cmx 10cmx 10cm & weight is 99.8gms
7. Trakbond GPS Tracker
- This particular device monitors kids in all scenarios.
- It requires no setup, coming with a full-function and accurate live tracking system.
- The GPS locator can monitor children’s activities and give alarms and notification for any unusual activity.
- A help button to device helps to track the kid’s location
- It features durable and rechargeable batteries that will definitely last longer outside the home than your little one.
- The device comes with free subscriptions and an easy to interpret user guide.
- Weight is 299gms
- Device size is- 4cm x4.5cm x2.3cm
8. Akari Gt02A GPS Tracker Device
- This device is suitable for cars, trucks and even cycles.
- It provides real-time monitoring services with very accurate outputs.
- It also provides convenient history tracking with the route details on google map in a large memory base.
- The Akari tracker operates with GPS technology via 2G or better networks and it comes with a fully detailed user manual.
- Device weight is 608gms & size is 29.4cmx 12.4cmx 7.6cm
9. ZAICUS 4 Band car GPS Tracker GT02A
- This real-time tracker is perfect for accurate vehicle monitoring services.
- It is both durable and water-resistant for tougher applications yet maintaining reliable monitoring data.
- It requires a working mobile network to operate and can be fitted with a network provider’s SIM-card for this.
- Vehicle tracker device weight is 141gms
- GPS Vehicle tracker size is 16cm x14.3 cm x 6.3cm
10. G06NW GT-06N GOOME Real-Time GPS Vehicle Tracking
- The GT-069 features top of the range location detection software using multiple satellites for pinpoint accuracy.
- GPS Vehicle Tracking system can operate with Google Map IOS and Android to provide real-time data for both location and vehicle condition.
- The device comprises a memory feature for history tracking. It can be conveniently downloaded or transmitted for analysis.
- GPS Vehicle Tracking size is 14.4cm x7.4 cm x 2cm
- GPS Vehicle tracking device weight 118gms