A band saw is an equipment used for making curved cuts and, most commonly used for making undefined or irregular shapes. This equipment also used to make thinner chops and slabs.
When equipped with a special class of blades, this saw used to cut through metals and other non-wood materials. The use of a bandsaw spreads across 3 major workshop areas which are: woodwork, metalwork, and lumber jobs.
Also, Check the buyers guide for Best pruning Saw, Best chain saw machines, Best circular saw machines, Best Oscillating saw, Best chop saw machines, Best jigsaw machines, Best miter saws, Best scroll saw, Best coping saw, Best reciprocating saws, Best table saw Machines, Best hacksaws & Best Pole saws.
In the handling of materials that are three inches or more in size, where a handsaw will not be efficient or usable, a bandsaw can be used. In this article, we are providing you with some of the best band saws along with a comprehensive buying guide.
Best 5 Band Saws in India
Buyers Guide – Band Saw
A bandsaw can be a piece of very important equipment for professionals and workshop owners. It is, therefore, crucial to pay extra attention to the type of bandsaw to obtain.
Here are some factors to keep in mind when planning to buy a bandsaw:
- Firstly, the type of bandsaw required should consider in terms of size and purpose as this will narrow down the list.
- The difference between a vertical and horizontal bandsaw is in the cutting of curves and the method of the blade and work-piece interaction.
- As earlier stated, the size of the required bandsaw is considered as there are large bandsaw models and there are portable and benchtop models.
- Importantly, the motor power must be considered since the larger the work, the larger the required motor power.
- A bandsaw of 2HP can cut easily through wood with a diameter of 4 inches.
- Despite the importance of motor power, factors like blade size, speed, and maintenance should carefully be observed as well.
- In conclusion, when obtaining a bandsaw, not only should blade size and strength be considered, but also the motor power
- Because the blade capacity will be useless when present without complementing motor power.
Features of Band Saw
A bandsaw may range in size from a table-top portable bandsaw to a large workshop bandsaw. And with the variation in sizes, varies the efficiencies and features.
Like every workshop equipment, the bandsaw is made of adjustable and replaceable parts that enable it to perform its duties effectively.
Just consider below-mentioned features while choosing a bandsaw:
- This is the part of a bandsaw responsible for holding the band wheel in place.
- Modern frames are made from steel welded sheets that can also be folded.
- The strength of frames in a bandsaw determines partly the alignment of the band wheel boxes.
- This part of a bandsaw is extremely important to the consistent cuts made during operations.
- The blade tension helps to keep the blade in place during cuts to obtain a straight and precise cut.
- This is the means through which the power produced in the motor is transferred and harnessed by the blade.
- The balance of the bandsaw wheels determines the stability of the equipment during operations, especially in vibration control.
- The blade guide helps to control the blade movement to keep it on track and to avoid twisting during use.
- And the blade guides can be adjusted for blades of differing sizes.
- This is one of the most important parts of a bandsaw.
- It can be considered the “heart of a bandsaw” as most bandsaw functions are directed by its motor.
- When obtaining a bandsaw, the hardness and type of material to be worked upon should be considered to determine a suitably-powered motor.
Types of Band Saws
Bandsaws are classified under two headings that are based on purpose and based on size or shape.
Based on purpose, they are classified as a metal bandsaw, wood bandsaw, benchtop bandsaw, and meat bandsaw.
Majorly, the bandsaw is classed based on the size and shape that are as follows:
Horizontal Band Saw
- This type is more popular and widely used due to its feature of cutting harder materials
- And the ability to cut through many or larger material quickly.
- This bandsaw, however, can’t make irregular shape cuts.
Vertical Band Saw
- In this equipment, the blade has a fixed movement and the materials to be cut are directed at the blade for the cutting to occur.
- Thus, the operator majorly controls the shape of cuts made.
- It designed to make curved cuts easier.
Combination Band Saw
- This equipment is a hybrid of the vertical and horizontal bandsaw.
- It optimized to cut curves or irregular shapes, or not.
- This allows versatility, but unlike a dedicated class, it is not as efficient in performing both duties.
Portable Band Saw
- Often called a handheld bandsaw, this is a light and flexible bandsaw.
- It is usually used for home and garden use.
- Also, they are optimized for chops and slab sawing.
How Does Band Saw Works?
How a bandsaw works is dependent on a variety of factors, most importantly, its type. For a vertical bandsaw having a fixed blade. How it operates in the cutting of material differs from a horizontal bandsaw where materials to cut are fixed while the blade cuts through them by moving in its plane.
- A bandsaw used in making a variety of irregular shapes.
- Particularly, the vertical bandsaw where materials are fed to the bandsaw blade.
- The bandsaw cuts materials with is blade teeth which determine the diameter and the tension experienced during cutting operations.
- One of the first procedures in working a bandsaw is setting the proper blade tension.
- The extent of tension application depends solely on the size of the blade – a higher blade tension recommended for a larger blade otherwise the tension could cause the blade to break.
- Once this procedure executed, then the next part to work on is the blade guide.
- This part of a bandsaw keeps the blade in line with its cutting pattern by acting as a guide.
- In conclusion, it is important to note the blade is stirred by a wheel that you can manually calibre to confirm the alignment of the bandsaw blade to ensure a straight and precise cut.
List of Top 5 Best Band Saw Machines to Buy Online in India
Now you know the features, the buyer’s guide, and the types of band saws on the market. But you probably don’t want to spend all your day looking for a good one.
So, to make your selection easier, here you have a top 10 list of the best band saws available in the market along with their features, pros, and cons.
1. DEWALT Compact Band Saw DCS371N-XJ:
This bandsaw produced by Dewalt, a popular manufacturer of saw products. It designed to cut through metals and hard materials. This hand equipment is easy to use and carry. Its dimensions 38.5 cm x 30 cm x 28 cm & the weight is 3.9 Kgs.
- Dewalt Band Saw made with a blade tracking adjustment system that increases blade life by providing better blade tracking.
- This optimized to work creating little to no sparks during its operation.
- It is efficient against cutting metals
- And it has little or no spark during operations
- It is a piece of compact equipment and not suitable for heavy operations
2. MAKITA Scroll Saw AUTHORIZED DEALER ASMA 50W:
The Makita product cut up to 45 degrees left and 15 degrees right. This equipment also cut through metals and built to absorb vibration and maintain stability during cutting. Its dimensions are 64 cm x 32.5 cm x 39 cm & the weight is 15.5 Kgs.
- Makita ASMA Scroll Saw made with sturdy cast iron base for less-vibration cutting & stability.
- It comes with a tool-free blade change system & quick adjustment of blade tension.
- This equipment used to cut through metals easily
- It’s cheaper compared to other equipment.
- It has a small tablespace only
3. Metabo Precision Band Saw BAS 261:
This large bandsaw equipment has a cutting height of 103mm and a speed of 735mm/min. It weighs 32.5kg and equipped with a quiet motor feature for easier operation and requires low maintenance.
- Metabo Band Saw made with the swivelling grey cast iron saw table for inclined cuts.
- It comes with restart protection that prevents unintentional start-up after power supply interruption.
- This has a LED light feature for illumination during operation
- It is stable during operation and is highly precise.
- It works quietly and stably even when cutting through metals
- It is very expensive
- Also, it is heavy
4. Makita 2107FK Portable Band Saw with 6.5 Amp, 4-34-Inch by 4-34-Inch Capacity, Variable Speed & Case:
The Matika bandsaw as the name suggests portable and easy to use. It is durable and weighs 9.8kg which means it is mobile friendly. And its dimensions are 53.3 cm x 22.9 cm x 22.9 cm.
- Makita 2107FK Band Saw made with quality materials.
- This is lightweight and easy to use
- It is efficient for most workshop purposes.
- Also, this is portable & durable as well.
- It is expensive
5. Makita LB1200F Band Saw in Blue & Black:
This heavy 81.2kg equipment produced by Makita can cut through materials of a thickness of 6.5 inches and has a blade speed of 800-1000m/min. It designed for heavy tasks and cuttings. And its dimensions are 61.5 cm x 160 cm x 77.5 cm.
- Makita Band Saw made with LED lights for illumination during cutting.
- It optimized for heavy-duty work and suitable for large workshops.
- Also, you will get 6 months of warranty on this product.
- It is an expensive one
Finding the right band saw is hard, but with the right guide, it’s always easier. I hope this guide helps you to find a perfect band saw for your works.
All the above options make it easy for you to make a good choice of the best band saw machine for your requirement along with valuable benefits.
1. For what a bandsaw used for?
A bandsaw used for making irregular cuts and shapes in wood and metal.
2. How do bandsaws work?
A bandsaw works by cutting through materials with the velocity generated by the band wheel. For vertical bandsaws, the work is fed to the equipment and vice versa for horizontal bandsaws.
3. How much does a bandsaw cost?
The price of bandsaws varies by size and quality. It can range between 20,000 rupees to 60 000 rupees.
4. How dangerous is a bandsaw?
A bandsaw very dangerous if it mishandled. Operating a bandsaw requires in-depth research on how to use or used by a professional. But if all precautions strictly adhered to, it can be very safe.
5. Can a bandsaw replace a table saw?
No. Though a bandsaw and a table saw have overlapping functions, they are not a replacement for each other.
6. Why did it call a bandsaw?
They called bandsaws because they made up of a continuous metal band referred to as the bandsaw blade.
7. What is the difference between a wood and metal bandsaw?
The difference between them is the speciality for cutting through materials. Also, the metal bandsaw specifically designed and optimized for metals but the wood specified for woodworking activities.
8. Can I cut metal with a wood bandsaw?
Yes, but only for cutting non-ferrous metals like aluminium.