A feeding pillow specifically designed for nursing mothers to make breastfeeding. It is convenient and comfortable curbing challenges in breastfeeding especially when nursing more than one baby. It is also known as a nursing pillow.
However, in some other cases, they were used to prop up babies who were not ready to sit on their own. They come in a variety of designs and styles, such as others designed with adjustable straps used for good positioning, others fitted with poaches for milk bottles. Also, check the buyer’s guide for Manual Breast pump, electric breast pump, baby diapers, baby diaper bags, baby sleeping bags, Baby carry bags, baby walkers, baby swing, baby cradles & baby rockers to buy online.
These all depend on the choice of the nursing mother and also their cost. These are providing efficient support of the baby and proper positioning and mostly what all nursing mothers want comfortability.
Also, they can be used as multipurpose, such as props for babies who have not yet learned to sit upright. In this article, we are providing you with some of the best feeding pillows along with a comprehensive buying guide.
Best 10 Feeding Pillows in India
Buyers Guide – Feeding Pillow
Feeding pillows help nursing mothers ease the strain and avoid injuries such as back pains, hand and wrist injuries, and also back pains. But you need to follow a few things before taking a decision on choosing the perfect one.
A nursing mother should consider below a few things when deciding to buy a feeding pillow:
- The size of the nursing pillow determines the comfortability of the nursing mother hence they should choose fitting pillows and thus avoiding the pillow to slip.
- The shape of the pillows come in different designs and their own benefits.
- For example, the crescent-shaped pillow is suitable for supporting the baby’s head while the “o” shaped pillow is good for back support and prop-ups.
Kind of Fabric:
- The kind of fabric used is a major key to deciding the type of nursing pillow to buy, since infants have sensitive skin which might cause skin rashes and irritation.
- Examples of synthetic materials such as polyester.
Other things include:
- Stain resistance of the feeding pillows should be considered since babies are messy. Consider an easy to wash pillow and wrinkle-free. Some nursing pillows come with covers, these just increases the cost price
- Portable nursing pillows are convenient when travelling and feeding on the go such as the Nursie Slip-on breastfeeding arm pillow.
- Transitional nursing pillows are best for their multipurpose functions, such as they can be used by pregnant mothers to provide them comfort in bed.
- And extra support during the pregnancy period and later used as a feeding pillow once the baby is born.
Features of a Feeding Pillow:
One of the best features of the feeding pillow is it comes with adjustable straps & belts for a secure fit. If you consider the features of feeding pillows well, then you will get the perfect one for your baby.
Main features of these pillows are:
- Mainly the nursing mothers should be concerned with the size and shape, to make sure the feeding pillows fit on their body.
- The nursing pillows come in a variety of different designs too.
- Many of the feeding pillows come with the adjustable straps so as to support the baby’s head and neck in the right position.
- And also avoid the nursing mothers from straining to breastfeed the baby.
- They come in different shape, most have a “u” shape or a crescent shape, these are designed to wrap the side of the body thus not efficient to be used as a pop-up
- However, they are adjustable and can be used to fit different sizes and others are “o” shaped.
- These wrap around the entire body of a child and can be most efficient to use as a prop up.
Types of Feeding Pillows
As days go by, feeding pillows have made a bullish impression due to their demand from day to day nursing mothers. These have given challenges to the manufacturing industries to uphold their client’s demand and thus have designed the nursing pillows with different specifications.
Some of the types include:
The Boppy Nursing Pillow and Positioner:
- It is the most common feeding pillow, known for its firmness, flexibility, and soft texture.
The Twin Z Pillow:
- It was specifically designed for feeding twins.
- This is by alleviating pressure on the stomach of the nursing mother.
Best Friend Nursing Pillow:
- This is recognized as the best one for its best provision of perfect support.
- Their uniqueness comes with the stylish pockets designed on the sides of the pillow used to keep milk or water bottles’ or other items.
How to use a Feeding Pillow?
Keep in mind that you need to have the knowledge of feeding pillows in order to use these effectively. Feeding pillows are used to support the arm of the nursing mother to prevent straining rather than support the child.
- It doesn’t matter whether the selected one has adjustable straps or not but the positioning of the child is matters.
- For the nursing pillows with adjustable straps or a clasp, they are inserted sideways so as to adjust the pillow to the right and fitting position.
- Then position it to the breast level for the baby to get a good grip of the breast and prevent the nursing mother from leaning over.
- Use free hand to swaddle the baby or adjust the baby’s position and if the baby doesn’t have a good latch on the breast, add a pillow underneath the nursing pillow.
Top 10 List of Feeding Pillows in the Market:
Now you know the features, the buyer’s guide, and the types of feeding pillows on the market. But you probably don’t want to spend all your day looking for a good one. So, to make your selection easier, here you have a top 10 list of the best feeding pillows available in the market along with their features, pros, and cons.
1. Chicco Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover & Cream Life Tree in Multicolor:
This is specially designed to provide ease in breastfeeding through relaxation of the nursing mother’s neck, back, and shoulders preventing discomfort and tiredness. It also supports the development of the newborn’s coordination by supporting the baby while lying on their tummy. This is a fine cocoon for a baby to relax, these help in digestion and avoids regurgitation or jerks.
- Dimensions: 0.1 cm x 0.1 cm x 0.1 cm
- Material: Fibre
- Weight: 1.06 KGs
- Chicco Feeding Pillow made with the Unique Fibre along with soft & compact internal padding.
- It comes with a miracle middle insert to keep the pillow in the shape
- This can also be used to help the baby balance on their own.
- Also, this pillow helpful for them to learn how to sit on their own.
- It is portable & machine washable too.
- It is an expensive one
- Also, it has no external cover to protect from stains.
2. The TWIN Z PILLOW – 6 in 1 for Tummy Time, Breastfeeding, Reflux, Bottlefeeding, Support & Pregnancy with Blue Cuddle DOTS:
This pillow provides great back support to nursing mothers with twins and also provides a close bonding time between the babies and the mother. It’s a 6 in 1 pillow for Tummy Time, Breastfeeding, Reflux, Bottlefeeding, Support & Pregnancy.
- Dimensions: 96.5 cm x 63.5 cm x 12.7 cm
- Weight: 449 Grams
- Twin Z Feeding Pillow made with the Cuddle Blue DOTS surface.
- It’s a 6 uses 1 feeding pillow for babies.
- This is suitable for supporting two babies
- It is portable and easy to carry as well.
- This is easy to clean due to its soft fabric
- Quite expensive
- Has no external covers, thus affected by wrinkles
3. Kradyl Kroft 5 in 1 Feeding Pillow for Babies with Detachable Cover in Multicolor, Columbus 2.0:
This is designed to hook the waist and rest on the lap offering support to the arms of a nursing mother. It has a detachable zipper cover and a hoop belt that offers extra bottom support and also used by the baby to play.
The fabric used makes the nursing pillow allergen-free, thus the newborn is safe from skin rashes and irritation. Also, it is conveniently used for burping the baby after feeding. This pillow has the baby hoop belt used to strap the baby’s bottom to add extra support.
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 7 cm x 5 cm
- Material: Hypoallergenic & TerraFirma
- Weight: 499 Grams
- Kradyl Kroft Feeding Pillow made with the hypoallergenic & firm “TerraFirma” near down microFibre.
- It provides support to the nursing mother’s arm while feeding the newborn to prevent arm & wrist injuries.
- This pillow has a hoop belt for the baby to play.
- It comes with a detachable zippered cover with a baby hoop & a washable cover.
- Also, it has an adjustable wrap & infant hoop belt.
- Should have an attached pillow for back support
- It has a poor quality fabric for example polyester
4. My Brest Friend Original Nursing Posture Pillow in Grey & Yellow Fireworks:
This is the number one nursing pillow support with a convenient pocket that wraps around the baby and nursing mother Prevents the baby from rolling away due to its flat-firm cushion, thus maintaining it securely in the same position. This is specifically designed for the perfect positioning of the baby’s posture to latch-on while supporting the back of the nursing mom.
- Dimensions: 60 cm x 11 cm x 42 cm
- Material: 100% Cotton
- Weight: 699 Grams
- My Best Friend Feeding Pillow made with the Latex Free & 100% cotton material.
- It comes with a convenient handy pouch to keep your maternity supplies.
- Used material is BPA Free, Phthalate Free & Lead-Free
- It has zippered covers, silent-release & adjustable strap along with a flat-front cushion.
- This pillow provides the ideal position for the baby to latch and prevents neck & back pains.
- Also, this pillow keeps a close bond between the baby and the mother.
- Not a portable one
- Quite expensive product
5. Baybee Breast Feeding Pillow Velvet Portable for New Born Infant Support for Baby & Mom Best for Breastfeeding Moms:
This is a 100% cotton pillow designed for ultimate protection, comfortability, and also breathable according to European safety standards. It’s an EN71 certified product and made from 100% fine eco-friendly material.
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 10 cm x 5 cm
- Material: 100% Fine Cotton
- Weight: 200 Grams
- Baybee Feeding Pillow made with the eco-friendly & 100% fine non-toxic cotton material.
- It comes with a gender-neutral nordic black cross pattern.
- Used material withstands years of washing & gets more comfortable after each wash.
- It is machine washable & affordable for everyone.
- This is long-lasting due to its safety standards
- This requires a lot of maintenance due to the fabric
- Not of the best quality due to the fiber strands from the fabric
6. Motherly Baby Feeding Pillow for Breastfeeding & Maternity Nursing Pillow for Mother:
This pillow provides a bonus head position for your babies. Anyone can use this easily and it is 100% machine washable.
- Dimensions: 42.2 cm x 28 cm x 10.6 cm
- Material: 100% Cotton & Polyester
- Weight: 762 Grams
- Motherly Feeding Pillow made with the 100% polyester material along with 100% cotton cover
- This pillow provides the ergonomic position for comfortable bottle feeding & breastfeeding
- It is easy to wash because this product is 100% machine washable.
- This utility pillow provides relief to your arms & back
- This is a little bit expensive
7. Montu Bunty Feeding Pillow 5 in 1 Wear Nursing with Cotton Slipcover:
This is a multipurpose pillow, provides back support to nursing mothers’ and coziness to the babies. It comes in different waist sizes. And it adapts to the nursing mother’s body and doesn’t lose shape.
- Dimensions: 60 cm x 11 cm x 42 cm
- Material: 100% Cotton
- Weight: 699 Grams
- Montu Bunty Feeding Pillow made with the cotton fabric material.
- It comes with C-shape that offers a cozy way to bottle feed babies.
- This pillow is multipurpose, can be used for breastfeeding, propping the baby, and back support.
- It is portable & machine washable
- This provides perfect back support for pregnant mothers during pregnancy
- The size doesn’t fit in newborn babies
- It does not secure the baby’s body
8. Nina Original Feeding Pillow with Silent Release Clasp in Orange:
This is designed especially for nursing mothers who have undergone c section. It has an adjustable wrap to provide arm support providing an ideal position for the baby to latch on.
- Dimensions: 55 cm x 38 cm x 15 cm
- Material: Firm Flat Cushion
- Weight: 531 Grams
- Nina Feeding Pillow made with the complete wrap-around design with arm & elbow rests.
- It comes with a firm flat cushion that prevents the baby from rolling in or away from you during breastfeeding.
- This has a quiet clasp which helps in taking off the pillow quietly without waking the baby up.
- It is portable as well as multipurpose such as baby pop-ups & breastfeeding.
- This pillow provides the utmost comfort to both baby & mother.
- It has a very small size, especially for as the baby grows older, thus the legs hang out of the pillow.
- These make it uncomfortable for the baby.
- It requires less cleaning only.
9. Hoopa Feeding Pillow Infant Carrier Baby Reclined Carrier in Turquoise Blue:
This is designed for babies up to 4 months along with a swaddling style with a strong back and better positioning for easy nursing and burping. Also, it provides security to the baby and protects infants from jerks.
- Dimensions: 61 cm x 27.9 cm x 17.8 cm
- Material: 100% Cotton
- Weight: 395 Grams
- Hoopa Feeding Pillow made with the 100% Cotton fabric along with 100% water-resistant composite material inside the fabric cover.
- It comes with the ergonomically designed curves provide the best position to new-born for feeding & burping provides a sense of security to parents.
- This pillow has a strong back reclined for nursing newborn babies
- It is convenient for new nursing mothers
- This offers support and protection to the baby’s back and neck
- It does not provide the close bonding between the mother and the baby
- Not machine washable
10. MomToBe Feeding Pillow with HD Foam & 100% Cotton Fabric Blue Nursing Pillow with Smiley Print:
It designed to give comfort to pregnant mothers and it’s divided into two variations, the half and the full. It has an undulating surface that offers support and massage to the baby.
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 2 cm x 10 cm
- Material: Cotton
- Weight: 200 Grams
- MomToBe Feeding Pillow made with the cotton fabric material.
- It comes with a pocket to keep burp cloths, water bottles, phones & other items.
- This pillow is affordable for everyone.
- It is multipurpose and used by both pregnant and nursing mothers.
- Also, it has a good fabric thus a quiet clasp as well.
- Not portable & inconvenient for traveling.
- This is not a machine washable
Which feeding pillow is best?
The Boppy Nursing Pillow is generally the best feeding pillow since it offers nursing mothers a variety of positions to feed their baby’s thus flexible, it is machine washable and also provides comfort to both the baby and the mother.
Are feeding pillows useful?
Feeding pillows useful to mothers facing difficulty in nursing their baby, to avoid tiredness, neck, and back pains caused while breastfeeding the baby & unable to latch on. It is convenient for nursing mothers.
What should I look for in a nursing pillow?
While looking for a nursing pillow, check on their flexibility, firmness, and the softness of the fabric.
How do new moms breastfeed?
New moms use the swaddling technique in breastfeeding the baby. These are by supporting the baby’s neck and back with their arms and adding extra support with their wrist on the baby’s bottom.
How can I breastfeed without a pillow?
One can also breastfeed without using a feeding pillow by appropriately positioning the baby on their arm and adding extra support with their wrist on the baby’s bottom.
How long can I use a breast friend pillow?
The breast friend pillow used for babies for up to 9 months.
Do you really need a breastfeeding pillow?
Most nursing mothers don’t use a breastfeeding pillow so as to have a close bond with their baby’s.
Is a nursing pillow necessary?
A nursing pillow is not necessary, only nursing mothers with difficulty in breastfeeding should consider using one.
Is it OK to lean back while breastfeeding?
Leaning back depends on the comfort of the nursing mother and the ability of the baby to latch on.
Feeding pillows are essential for nursing mothers whether looking for comfort or to curb fatigue during breastfeeding. In general, they are efficient for the baby to grow up in the best position and also to the nursing, avoids injuries such as neck and back pains due to straining while breastfeeding. It eases the challenges faced by nursing women.
So if a nursing mother can afford a feeding pillow, it might come in handy & provides comfort. However, the nursing pillows not must for nursing mothers, what really matters, is the position the baby held on for it latch-on the mother’s breast without straining.