Coping saw is a very beneficial tool for carpenters. It is also used by jewellers for making designs in jewellery. They can also be used for crafting other materials. These are the hand saws that are used to cut wood in curves or angles.
It has a narrow blade that is attached to a U-shaped frame. The blade of this saw is delicate because it is made to design the wood for creating joints. It cannot cut wood having a thickness of more than an inch. Also, Check the buyers guide for Best pruning Saw, Best chain saw machines, Best circular saw machines, Best Oscillating saw, Best chop saw machines, Best jigsaw machines, Best miter saws, Best band saws, Best scroll saw, Best reciprocating saws, Best table saw Machines, Best hacksaws & Best Pole saws.
This is very useful saw because you can also cut the wood from the centre of the wood by drilling it and placing the blade where you want to cut the wood. In this article, we are providing you with some of the best coping saws along with a comprehensive buying guide.
Best 10 Coping Saws in India
Buyers Guide – Coping Saw
Coping saw is used to curve wood both externally or internally. The best kind of saws has pins at the end that stop it from slipping while working.
When you are looking for a coping saw, you must consider the following points:
- As you know, the blades are changeable and so is the harp.
- So, if they are difficult to change, you can get hurt.
- Therefore, go for the option in which blades are easily changeable.
- Check the rotation of the blade – whether it is smooth or not.
- The blades are made of different materials.
- They can be bi-metallic or can be made of carbon steel.
- Bi-metallic blades are hard while carbon steel blades are flexible.
- Check the material and depth of the frame.
- It must be strong and the material should be of good quality and rust-free.
- Deep frames are better than shallow ones.
- The handle must be comfortable and durable.
- The material of the handle is also very important and they are usually plastic or wood.
Features of Coping Saw
Coping saws have thin blades that are attached to a frame that is made of metal. The blades are attached to the frame with the help of small pins present at the end of the blades. Also, these have some common features as mentioned below.
Just consider below-mentioned features while choosing a bandsaw:
- Coping Saw blades are adjustable at certain angles.
- The blades are delicate so they will not be suitable for carving thick wood.
- These blades are mostly made of high carbon steel or tungsten carbide that are used for cutting ceramic material.
- The blades cut items with the help of grooves or teeth present on it.
- Mostly 12 to 20 teeth are present per inch of the blade in coping saw.
- Teeth are small in size to cut the wood neatly.
- Coping hand saw also has a frame that is U-shaped.
- The blade is attached to the frame with the help of screws.
- And the frame is made up of steel but sometimes, it is plated with nickel or chrome to prevent rusting.
- Another important part of the coping hand saw is the handle.
- It can be of plastic or wood.
- The handle can be cylindrical or straight.
How to use Coping Saw?
- Coping saw is used for cutting or carving wood 1 inch or less in thickness.
- If you are carving or cutting the middle part of the wood, it is very important to make the design with a pencil first.
- Then remove the blade from the frame.
- Make a hole in the wood where you want to make the craft by drilling.
- Pass the blade from the hole.
- Then fix the blade to the frame and tighten it with the help of a screw.
- Now when it is done make the design by applying strokes.
- Again, open the blade and remove it from the place.
- Clean it and store it safely.
List of Top 10 Coping Saws to Buy Online in India
There is a variety of coping saws in the market with important features. But before buying them, please note the points made below that may help you make an informed decision.
1. F-O-M Thermo Adjustable Coping Hand Saw Made of Steel with 75mm Inner Height 144 Piece Blades:
The coping saw has an internal height of 75mm and comes with 144 pieces of blades. It is suitable to cut any type of material having a thickness of less than an inch. The dimensions 10 cm X 10 cm x 10 cm.
- FOM Thermo coping saw blade is very sharp and can easily cut steel and iron nails.
- It is suitable for cutting plastic, clay, metal, and wood.
- The length of the blade is adjustable with the help of clamps available at the end.
- The blade is too fragile and is easily breakable
2. F-O-M Coping Saw with Thermo Steel Fix & 144 Piece Blades:
The coping hand saw from F-O-M also comes with 144 pieces of blades, but the length of the blade is fixed. It is a professional jeweller’s saw but can also be used for crafting other materials.
- F-O-M Steel Coping Saw made with mild steel material.
- The internal height of the saw is 70 mm which is considered to be standard & suitable for a variety of purposes.
- And the blades are very thin so suitable for detailed crafting on wood or jewelry
- The quality of the saw is very good
- As the blades are too thin, it can break easily
3. OSCAR Brand Jewelers Nice Decorative Style Coping Hand Saw with Small Size, 144Pc Blades & 2 Adjustable Screw Cutting for Steel, Jewellery Tools:
It is an adjustable coping with 24 pieces of blades. The blades are very sharp and long. When adjusted to the maximum length the blade will be 124-inch-long.
- OSCAR Coping Saw used for jewellery and key making.
- It used for cutting wood. Good for cutting metal and steel pipes
- This is best for jewellery makers and watchmakers etc.
- The blade is fragile
4. Johnson Tools Brand Jewelers Small Size Coping Hand with Nice Decorative Style, 144Pc Blades & 2 Adjustable Screw Cutting for Jewellery Tools:
It is one of the high-quality hand saw. The dimensions of this coping hand saw are 27 x 10 x 2 cm and the weight is 249 grams. The maximum length of the blade is 124 inches.
- Johnson Coping Saw is small size hand saw & frame has a nice decorative style.
- This is very light and the best for decorating wood and jewellery etc.
- And the package comes with 144 blade pieces and 2 screws for adjusting the length of the blade.
- No negative reviews by existing customers
5. Aven CopingSaw with Powder Coated Frame Blade & Fitted Wooden Handle:
It is suitable for heavy-duty tasks. The handle made of wood and gives good adjustment to the blade. The blade of the Aven coping saw powder-coated.
- Aven Coping Saw specially designed for cutting wood in shapes.
- The pack comes with 50 different blades.
- This equipment cuts the wood neatly.
- The blades can be sharper
6. F-O-M CopingSaw with Thermo Steel Fix & 144 Piece Blades:
The frame of this hand saw is capable to hold all types of jeweller’s blades. Internal height from frame to the blade is 150mm. The weight of this coping saw is 259 grams.
- Thermo Coping Hand Saw can be used with all types of jewellers saw blades including spiral & flat.
- The quality of the frame is pretty good.
- There are screw clamps used to secure the blades.
- The blades not included in the package
- It is only suitable for small cuttings
7. F-O-M Thermo Made of Steel Coping Hand Saw Only for Cutting Jewelry, Metal, Wood, etc Used by for Jewelry Making, Woodworking Etc:
This coping saw best for any type of metal, wax, wood, and plastic. The depth of this saw is 70mm and great for sawing metal and other hard materials.
- FOM Coping saw made up of mild steel and the frame suitable for fixing any kind of jeweller’s blades.
- The quality of the product is very good
- This is a budget-friendly product.
- The blades are not available with it
8. F-O-M Thermo Adjustable Coping Hand Saw Made of Steel with 75mm Inner Height 144 Piece Blades:
The jeweller’s saw blade used for making any design on jewellery, crafting, and woodworks. The depth of the saw is 75mm. A total of 144 small pieces of the blades also come in the package.
- FOM coping saw is the best for small and light work.
- Thumbs screws are present to adjust the length of the blades.
- It cannot cut wood or any other hard things
9. F-O-M Thermo Adjustable Coping Hand Saw Made of Steel & 75mm Inner Height:
This is also one of the best coping saw you can find online. This is an adjustable coping saw that can fit different sized blades in it. The internal depth of the saw is 75mm.
- F-O-M Thermo Saw made with mild steel material.
- The quality of the coping hand saw is very good
- No negative reviews by existing customers
10. OSCAR Jewellery Hacksaw Frame with 144 Pieces Blades and 2 Screws:
This Oscar coping hand saw used for cutting plastic, wood, metal, wax, and jewellery. And the internal depth from the frame to the blade is 70mm.
- OSCAR Coping Saw is best for coping metals and other hard materials.
- The quality of the saw is great
- Reasonably priced product
- No negative reviews by existing customers
Finding the right coping saw can be hard, but with the right guide, it’s always easier. I hope this helps you to find a perfect coping saw for your works.
All the above options make it easy for you to make a good choice of the best coping saw for you along with valuable benefits.
What is the use of a coping saw?
A coping hand saw used to curve wood both externally or internally. These curves help to fix joints and give the job a professional look. Some small copingsaws used to design jewelry.
Why is it called a copingsaw?
It is derived from the word “coped” which means handled. At first, the saw used to make coped joints that involved two molding strips. One strip having a curved end and the other flat. Curved strip fits over the flat strip to make a joint.
What is the difference between a coping saw and a hacksaw?
The saw blades designed inwards facing the handle. And in a hacksaw, the blades facing away from the handle. Copingsaw used to make curves or designs while hacksaws used for cutting metal and wood in regular cuts.
How do you use a copingsaw safely?
Hold the saw firmly and place it where you have to cut. Cut the wood by applying small strokes. Turn the frame to cut according to the mark.
What are the best copingsaw blades?
You can check the list given above to make a decision based on your needs.