A water testing kit is a suitable one for measuring substances in water that contribute more to compare the standards with local authorities. Another thing is that it allows people to implement preventive measures against hazards and other problems caused by drinking water.
If you are looking for how to measure water quality then you may follow the useful points from this post. Water is mandatory for the survival of any life form in the world. Water is the source of all life. However, water can also cause harm if it is contaminated with harmful chemicals and pollutants.
The current article provides some of the key indicators for measuring water quality, recommended water quality standards, best water testing kits, and the importance of water purification by using water purifiers.
Best 5 Water Testing Kits in India
Buyers Guide – Water Testing Kit
The process of choosing a water testing kit involves several challenges and one should get more ideas from various sources. Anyone who buys a product should follow the below steps which can help to meet essential needs.
1)Brand: Brand is the most important thing to consider while buying a new product from the market. One should compare the brands in detail which ultimately gives ways to choose the right product according to needs.
2)Functions: It is important to focus more on the features when buying a kit. This, in turn, paves ways to test water based on various parameters and indicators for generating a detailed report.
3) Prices: The price is another factor to consider in the water kit buying process and customers can compare rates offered by different manufacturers that can help to select a product at estimated budgets.
4) The Number of Tests: Customers should know the number of tests provided by a test kit before purchasing a product from the markets.
5) Product Reviews: It is necessary to read product reviews online that can help to buy a high-quality product based on the choices.
6) Purpose: A water testing kit is available for a home, pool, aquarium, and other applications. It is necessary to determine the purpose before buying a product.
Key Indicators of Water Quality
There are many key indicators in testing the quality of the water. Many people are worried about water quality and they are thing about how to measure water quality.
The following are the key indicators of water quality:
- Water that is high in mineral content is known as hard water.
- Calcium and magnesium are the two most common minerals which when present in excessive quantities, make the water hard.
- The degree of water hardness is directly proportional to the concentration of calcium and magnesium in it.
- Water needs to be treated with a water purifier to remove water hardness and make it healthier for consumption.
- pH levels of water denote its acid-base equilibrium.
- It is generally controlled by the carbon dioxide-bicarbonate-carbonate equilibrium system.
- This means that an increase in CO2 concentration in water will lower its pH, while a decrease in CO2 will increase the pH levels.
- The pH level of 7 is neutral, anything above 7 is alkaline, and below 7 is acidic in nature.
- And the recommended pH levels for safe drinking water should be in the range of 6-8.5.
- pH levels below 4.5 and above 9.5 are highly unfit for consumption.
- pH also impacts the solubility of organic compounds, metals, and salts.
- Low pH levels can also make the water corrosive and dangerous for human consumption.
Level of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS):
- The concentration of total dissolved solids (TDS) in the water denotes the amount of dissolved material in it.
- It represents the inorganic salts and small amounts of organic material present in water.
- TDS usually include minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium cations, hydrogen carbonate, potassium carbonate, chloride, sulfate, and nitrate ions.
- Natural weathering, industrial waste, sewage, and agriculture are major sources of TDS in water.
- The high degree of TDS makes the water unsuitable for drinking purposes.
- Very low concentration of TDS also results in the undesirable taste of drinking water.
Level of Metals:
- Metals can be found in water either due to the natural weathering of rocks and soil or from industrial waste.
- Some metals like copper, manganese, and zinc are required to be present in small quantities in water for ensuring a biochemical process for sustaining life.
- However, the excessive presence of these metals can cause harm to humans or animals if they consume them.
- Dissolved metals are usually more toxic than metals bound in complexes with other molecules.
- Heavy metals like lead, arsenic, etc. are also dangerous for human consumption and need to be removed or filtered from the water to make it safe for drinking.
Level of Chemicals:
- Water can also be polluted by industrial wastes.
- Some industrial wastes like polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are extremely dangerous and make the water unfit for human and animal consumption.
- Consuming water contaminated with PCBs can lead to many health issues and can impact the immune system, reproductive, nervous, and endocrine systems.
- PCBs have highly stable which makes them difficult to break down.
- Due to their resistance to degradation, they are difficult to remove from the water.
Recommended Water Quality Standards
The World Health Organization (WHO) lays down the global standards for water quality. The regulatory bodies and governments in different countries have their own specific water quality standards. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) specifies water quality standards in India. The IS 10500:2012 quality standard prescribes the quality of water in India.
Measuring Water Quality:
According to this standard, the pH value of water should range between 6-8.5 for making it fit for consumption. Total hardness (concentration of CacO3) should not be more than 200mg per liter while the iron content should be within 0.3 mg/liter. The TDS content should be 500mg/liter while the taste and odor of the water should be agreeable.
Side Effects of Excessive Fluoride in Water
When fluoride is present in an excessive concentration in water, it can lead to health issues in humans. Most of us can take fluoride in small quantities up to 20mg per day without any side effects or health problems. The high concentration of fluoride in water can cause dental fluorosis which can cause small white specks on the enamel.
Though this does not directly affect dental health, it can cause discoloration. Excessive fluoride content in water can also cause skeletal fluorosis which causes the bones to become hard and less elastic, thereby increasing the chances of fractures.
Excess fluoride can also damage the thyroid gland and cause uncontrolled secretion of parathyroid hormones. This can cause depletion of calcium from the bones and make them weaker and vulnerable to fractures. Some studies have indicated that high fluoride content in water can impact the cognitive abilities of children.
Need for Filtered Water from Water Purifiers
The water contaminated with PCBs need to be purified using high-quality water purification systems for making it fit for human and animal consumption. Water purifiers can clean and purify the water and make them suitable for human consumption.
The following are the need for filtered water from water purifiers:
Water purifiers are excellent appliances that remove any form of contaminants and impurities from water. It removes TDS, hard metals, chemicals, etc. from water and makes it perfectly healthy for your drinking purposes.
Keeps You Energized:
A glass of filtered and purified water keeps you hydrated and energized throughout the day. It is much healthier than consuming tea or coffee to keep you energized as they may dehydrate you and leave you jittery.
Water purifiers clean water and make them nutrient-rich which aids considerably in the digestion process. The filtered and purified water helps to break down the food you consume better and allows your body to absorb the nutrients from it.
With a good quality water purifier, your family can enjoy pure and safe drinking water. This protects them from different water-related health problems and helps you save money on the cost of medication. Your appliances will also have a greater lifespan due to the removal of minerals that can otherwise cause them to malfunction.
Testing Kits for Evaluating the Quality of Water
Water is an important source needed for everyone to live a healthy life. At the same time, it is necessary to test the quality of water with special attention for preventing health risks to a large extent. There are several sources available for this purpose and one should know more about them in detail that can help to get more ideas easily.
The first step is sending a sample to a nearby laboratory that enables people to know the test reports. However, it takes more time to get a report from a laboratory that requires an alternate solution.
Those who want to know more about water testing kits can search for the details from different sources that can help to make a better decision. The kit is very small in size and one can immerse the same in water easily that gives ways to determine the quality with accurate results.
Why Water Testing Kit is Important?
The water testing kit plays a major role in testing water quality. So don’t worry anymore about how to measure water quality. The drinking water may contain several contaminants which can lead to health problems.
A high presence of metals such as lead, copper, zinc, chromium, and mercury in water will affect the living standards of a person that needs special attention.
Having a water testing kit may result in many advantages and some of them include:
- Allows users to find the percentage of contamination levels
- Helps to know whether the water contains contents of legionella bacteria or not
- Enables users to evaluate the results in quick turnaround time
- Gives ways to analyze the hardness, alkalinity, and chlorine levels of water
- Lets users to protect health from illnesses and other problems
How to Use a Water Testing Kit?
Most water testing kits usually come with a package of strips that contain reactants. They will change colors that allow users to know the presence of various contaminants in water.
A water testing kit displays the following results after immersing the device:
- Presence of heavy metals and PH levels
- Hardness of water
- Presence of bacteria and cyanuric acid
- The water testing kits are compact in size
- Easy to use with simple instructions
- Quick and accurate results & no need for dilution
- Requires no lubrication
- Allows users to test water under several parameters
- Multipack options
- Single & multiple tests
- It comes with TDS features for a home
- These are easy to maintain & available at affordable rates
- Prevents health hazards with the latest features
- Some products don’t come with manual instructions
- Certain kits are highly expensive
- Need extensive research before buying a product from the markets
List of Top 5 Water Testing Kits in India Buyers Guide
Water testing kits help to determine the quality of water with the best results and also come in various forms. These kits enable users to test water that complies with local jurisdictions.
1. Konvio Neer Imported TDS Meter Waterfilter Tester for Measuring Tds/Temp/Ppm RO Water Testing Meter with Digital LCD & Carry Case:
This is from the Knovio Neer brand and it comes with an LCD display along with a carrying case. You will get 6 months of warranty on this product. This product dimensions are 7.6 cm x 7.6 cm x 12.7 cm.
- Konvio Neer Water Testing Kit made with Auto-off function that turns it off after 10 minutes of inactivity.
- It is a highly efficient and accurate product.
- The most significant advantage of the product is that you will get instant results and no need to take readings and calculations.
- It comes with an inbuilt digital LCD display with proper graphics to symbolize every measured value.
2. Aquasol Digital TDS Water Testing Conductivity Meter:
This testing kit is from the Aquasol brand and it’s a portable Pen Type meter. Also, it is a cost-effective product and comes in an encased protective carrying pouch.
- Aquasol Water Testing Kit made with a compact single chamber design.
- It comes with an Auto-Off function for the protection.
- This is a reliable handheld pen-type meter & easy to use.
- It gives accurate readings with the help of its built-in temperature sensor.
3. HM AquaPro TDS Digital Water Quality Tester AP-1:
This testing kit is from the HM brand and it comes with an easy-to-read LCD screen. You will get this product in a retail-oriented package.
- HM AquaPro Water Testing Kit made with data-hold function, auto-off function & low-battery indicator.
- It comes with a large LCD display screen that includes simultaneous temperature reading.
- This has water-resistant housing & automatic temperature compensation(ATC).
- Its sleek design is perfect for the modern kitchen.
4. GLUN Water Quality Testing (Ppm) Pre-Calibrated Pen Type TDS Meter with Digital LCD:
This testing kit is from the GLUN brand and it shows the inorganic salts and organic matter in a liquid. The TDS range of this meter is 0 – 990ppm (mg/L) with an accuracy of +/- 2%.
- GLUN Water Testing Kit made with Digital LCD in a pen-type model.
- This product build quality is good compares to other models.
- It is a great tool for home and professional use to determine the ppm in the water.
- This product needs 2x LR44 batteries for the operation.
5. Shapure Ph & TDS Meter Pen Style Ph-Meter Set Combo with ±0.1Ph 0.6 inches LCD Mini Digital Display:
This TDS meter is from the Shapure brand and it’s a combo of PH meter and TDS Meter for water purity testing. The operating temperature range of this device is 0 – 50Â°C (32 – 122Â°F). The dimensions are 15 cm x 3 cm x 1.5 cm & weight is 65 grams.
- Shapure Water Testing Kit combo made with Digital LCD display to check the pH & TDS of the water.
- Package contents include 1 TDS Meter, 1 PH Meter, 1 Screw Driver & 1 Carry Box.
- These are ideal instruments for school laboratory, aquarium, swimming pool, fishing industry, food & beverage, etc.
- You can calibrate the device using the buffering solution that is included in the box.
Finally, you have successfully checked the article on how to measure water quality and its importance. Also, get the importance of water testing kits online. I hope this article helped you select the best water testing kit.