A weed killer is a chemical agent for weed control and removal. Also known as herbicides, weed killers are used in gardens and farms to control the spread of weeds. The reason weed killers are important in farms and gardens is that weeds often compete with plants for nutrients.
Keeping a good, clean, and healthy garden or lawn requires a good weed killer as weeds are usually infested with fungus and insects that lead to stunted growth in normal plants and fruits. These unwanted plants are hardy and also tend to spread faster and have a longer life cycle than normal crops.
Weeds are essentially plants without any value that can deny important plants of necessary nutrients by using most of the nutrients for themselves.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Artificial Grass Mat, Gardening Scissors, Grass Cutting Machines, Garden Fencing, Brush Cutter Machines, Lawnmowers, Angle Grinder machines, Drill Machines, Hammer Drill Machines, DeWalt Power tools, Matika Power Tools, Sanding Machines, pruning Saws, chain saw machines, circular saw machines, Oscillating saws, chop saw machines, jigsaw machines, mitre saws, band saws, scroll saws, coping saws, reciprocating saws, hacksaws, & Pole saws in India.
Top 10 Best Weed Killers in India
Buyers Guide – Weed Killers
The importance of a weed killer in garden and lawn maintenance cannot be trivialized. Its role is in assisting in maintaining a healthy, clean, and good lawn.
Purchasing these chemicals is thus a very important step for gardeners and lawn keepers since many factors should be considered for personal and lawn safety.
- Considerable efforts must give the first map out a concise plan for the lawn or garden, your mode of application, the problem at hand, and necessary measures to take.
- There exist various types of products that serve as weed killers and getting one that is safe and of good quality can sometimes be challenging.
- There are selective and non-selective classes of the weed killer and the mode of application of this agent will determine which is suitable
- Since the selective type due to its selectivity may pose no threat to some adaptive weeds but the non-selective weed killer kills every plant it comes in contact with.
- So, for a newly starting lawn where no valuable or not much valuable grass is present, the non-selective would be suitable.
- But in a standard and established lawn, using a non-selective weed killer is dangerous and can ruin years of hard work.
- Some weed killers also affect land productivity and should be avoided if the removal aims to use the land for further planting or crop production.
Features of a Weed Killer
The compounds in a weed killer are optimized to incapacitate weeds by restricting their growth. One variant has compounds selectively geared towards only killing weeds and plants having no agricultural or economic value whereas the other variant kills all plants.
Just consider the below features while choosing a weed killer:
Chemicals and Reagents:
- Weed killers are made from various chemicals or reagents distinguishing their various abilities and potency.
- The commonly used 2, 4-D is a selective chemical compound used against garden or lawn weeds and provides optimum protection against weed growth.
- Chemicals used include glyphosate, atrazine, etc.
- Some killers contain synthetic plant growth hormones like auxins that are efficient in controlling plant growth and germination.
- Naturally, plants contain growth hormones which they use in controlling their growth
- These hormones when synthesized by man manipulated to work against some other plants and thus providing safety against weeds.
Types of Weed Killers
Selective weed killers are targeted to affect only the growth of weed while the valuable plants are left unbothered but the non-selective type eliminates all plants it comes in contact with.
There are three types of weed killers based on the timing of the application & these are:
1. Pre-plant Weed Killers:
- These types of herbicides are applied to the farm or garden before the planting of crops or grass.
- They inhibit weed growth before they emerge from the soil, but once growth has occurred another type of killer called pre-emergence herbicides is used.
2. Pre-emergence Weed Killers:
- Pre-emergence weed killers are used once the seed or grass planted
- And the seed is yet to germinate, thus having the advantage of neutralizing the weed before its seedling emerges from the soil.
- Examples of these killers include Dithiopyrand Pendimethalin.
- However, weeds that emerged from the soil before the killer was applied were not affected by its activity thus bringing us to a new type of weed killer, the post-emergence weed killer.
3. Post-emergence Weed Killers
- This set of killers used effectively against weeds has emerged successfully out of the soil surface.
- These killers are not applied when rain is imminent as their activity is neutralized or reduced by rain activity, an example of this type is the 2, 4-D.
Finally, another important classification given to weed killers is whether they are selective or non-selective.
How Does a Weed Killer Work?
From hindering DNA synthesis which is required for growth in a plant to introducing pathway inhibitors into some plants, a weed killer operates in various mechanisms.
Weed killers are applied in two methods – either foliar application or soil application. This set of methods determines the volatility and photolysis processes that occur in the plants to hinder and suspend growth.
Weed killers are inhibitors of weed growths and work by the following mechanisms:
- Some sets of inhibitors are designed and synthesized to affect the cell membrane production by altering the process of lipid synthesis in the meristems of these plants
- Thereby controlling the growth of these unwanted plants.
- In ALS inhibitors, for example, inhibition of the ALS is a mechanism of weed killer actions as this intermediate is responsible for amino acid synthesis in plants.
- Weed killers containing these inhibitors are safe for animals since this pathway or reaction only occurs in plants.
Use of Synthetic Plant Hormones:
- Plant hormones like auxins and gibberellic acid are useful as the plant’s regulator to control and manage its growth.
- This set of hormones, when synthesized, is manipulated systematically to hinder weed growth.
List of Top 10 Weed Killers in India Buyers Guide
Getting a safe chemical that is not hazardous to human or animal health should also be of priority when considering the type or class of weed killers to purchase.
1. Spectracide Grass & Weed Killer Concentrate in 32 Ounce:
This product weighs about 1.1kg and is designed for weed and grass killing. That means it is not a selective type of weed killer and eliminates or kills every grass it comes into contact with. Like every other herbicide, take precautions when using this product and adequate concentration used.
- Spectracide Weed Killer kills any type of grass
- It shows effectiveness within a few hours of application
- It is not suitable for home or garden lawns
- It only kills grass or weed on the foliar side i.e. above ground level
2. money-saving Weed Control Liquid for Garden & Lawn Caution-Spray:
This product is a non-selective type of weed killer. It takes effect in about 3-7 days and is used at a recommended concentration of 50ml/1L.
- Money-saving weed Control is effective against unwanted plants
- It is not selective and kills all plants it comes in contact with
3. Money-Saving Weed Liquid For Lawn and Garden:
This weed killer is optimized for garden and lawn weed control. It is mixed at 50ml/1L of water for safety and effectiveness. Its effectivity is noticeable between the 3rd to 7th day of application and total plant destruction may take up to 30days during rainy conditions. It is a post-emergence weed killer.
- Money-Saving Killer Liquid is effective against grass control at the recommended concentration.
- It is not selective and can kill lawns if directly applied
4. Agro Plus Pesticide Weed Killer:
This pesticide is optimized as an antibiotic suitable for neutralizing garden and farm weeds. This pack weighs 200g and is also used on small and growing plants with proven effectiveness. However, since these weed killers have chemical agents, dangerous and necessary clothing precautions are maintained while using the same.
- Agro Plus Weed Killer is very effective as an antimicrobial against plant infections
- It is applicable and suitable for around the house as it does not stink
- It may not be effective on some plants without other chemical additives
5. Money-Saving Weed Killer with Advanced Technical Formulation Liquid for Lawn and Garden:
This product is present in a liquid form and used for weed killing and lawn control. Its recommended level or concentration for application is 50ml in 1L of water. In handling this weed category, proper precautions should be maintained.
- This weed killer is affected by rain or wet soil moisture
- Its very effective against unwanted plant growth
- It’s not plant-sensitive and hinders the growth of any plant when sprayed on
6. Money-Saving Weed Killer Liquid for Garden & Lawn in 500 ml:
This liquid weed killer is designed to contain weed growth and is suitable for lawn and garden applications.
- Money-Saving Weed Killer is an odourless product usable in the home area.
- Not very well designed or packaged
7. Bayer Advanced 704130 All-In-One Lawn Weed And Crabgrass Killer:
This product contains as its active ingredient an amine salt 4-D Dimethylamine salt to neutralize different kinds of weeds. The spray liquid is sold ready to use and requires no mixing or dilution. It weighs about 2.27kg.
- Bayer Weed Killer is effective against tough weeds like crabgrass
- It is easy to use and does not require mixing or self-dilution
- The spray is inconsistent and features a short pipe
8. Bharath Agencies Weed Killer in 500 ml:
This 500ml volume product is designed to function against weed growth. The concentration recommended for use is 50ml/1L. This product is optimized to kill weeds even after just a single application although more may be required for mature weeds.
- Bharath Agencies Weed Killer is suitable for garden maintenance.
- It exists in two forms either as a concentrated or ready-to-use
- It May is not as effective as described
9. Bharath Agencies Weed Killer in 1000 ml:
Available in a 1000ml package, the product is designed to get rid of weeds in gardens and lawns. The liquid spray weed killer was used at a concentration of 50ml/1L.
- Bharath Agencies Weed Killer is mobile and easy to use
- It is expensive
10. Great Indo Gardens Weed Killer Herbicide with Overkill-80 2, 4-D Sodium Salt for Broadleaf Weeds:
This 500g package of sodium concentrate salt is designed to combat lawn or garden weeds. It is a post-emergence type of weed killer that is very effective against annual and perennial or persistent weeds. Also, it is systemic and selective in its plant-killing actions.
- Great Indo Gardens Weed Killer is a selective weed killer although not as effective as the 2, 4-D
- It is cheap
- It is not very effective
At the present moment, you have successfully reviewed the list of the top 10 best weed killers in India. So, it should be easy for you to determine which one is best for you.
All the above options make it easy for you to make a good choice of the best killer for you along with valuable benefits.
1. What is a weed killer?
A weed killer a chemical compound targeted at controlling gardens or lawns by incapacitating or killing them.
2. What are the types of weed killers available?
These are divided into three basic kinds: pre-plant, pre-emergence, and post-emergence weed killers.
3. Is weed killer available online?
Yes, weed killers are purchased online from platforms like Amazon, Flipkart, and more.
4. Is weed killer poisonous?
A weed killer is poisonous if it comes in contact with the eyes or mouth. Often medical assistance is required in these cases as it may be fatal.