A drum set, also known as a drum kit, is an assortment of various drums along with other thumping instruments. A drum set typically consists of 5 parts – a bass drum, hi-hats, snare drum, tom-toms, and ride and crash cymbals.
The aforementioned parts of a drum set are standard for beginner drummers. For advanced and professional drummers, the extra parts splash cymbal, china cymbal, and cowbell. Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Snare Drum, Acoustic Guitars, Flutes, Dholaks, Damru, Mouth organs, Chimatas, Ghungroo, Keyboard Pianos, Casio Keyboards, MIDI Keyboards, Harmoniums, Karaoke Mics, Karaoke Systems in India.
Drummers are the heartbeat of a band and they use their hands as well as feet for playing the drum set. Also, they are the only members of the band that play the most amount of instruments.
Top 6 Best Drum Sets in India
Buyers Guide – Drum Set
There is a wide range of drum sets available by several famous brands. And drum sets are not cheap. For individuals with space limitations, junior, fusion, and hybrid drum sets are ideal as they require very little space.
Just consider the following factors before taking the plunge:
- The most important thing to consider before buying a drum kit is to determine how many pieces you will be needing.
- For beginner and intermediate level drummers, a 5-piece drum set is an ideal and economical option.
- A 6- to 8- piece drum set along with extra percussion would be a suitable option for intermediate and professionals.
- The size of the drum kit is also vital as there might be issues with installing the kit in the desired area.
- As for those who have no issues with space and sound levels, rock sets are a suitable option.
- The size and comfort level of the stool is also important as you would be spending hours playing and performing on the drum sets.
- The shells of a drum kit are the bass drum, snare drum, and toms. The material of the drum kit determines the sound quality.
- The common type of wood used for making the shells are maple, birch, mahogany, and poplar.
- The maple drum shells are versatile and very common.
- Birch shells produce loud sounds as they are made of hard and dense wood.
- Mahogany shells have a low-end power, they produce a loud but hollow sound & the cheapest form of wood used for drum kits is poplar shells.
- They are low build quality and do not produce the greatest and purest quality of sound.
Usually, most manufacturers sell all-inclusive drum sets, however, it is important to ensure the following are included:
- Hardware set
- High-hat stand
- Cymbal pack
- Snare stand
- Bass pedal
Features of a Drum Set
A drum set is a versatile instrument for playing music genres like jazz, rock, electronic, etc. Purchasing it with the necessary features is as vital as purchasing the right type of drum.
Keep in mind the following points while choosing a drum set:
- An electric drum set is easier to play compared to an acoustic drum as it offers more flexibility and comfort.
- Their versatile characteristics and features make them ideal for recording and playing in music studios and homes.
- Electric drum kits are easier for recording music at studios with the option of editing and customizing music samples, which cannot be done with an acoustic drum kit.
- Acoustic drum kits have the advantage of sound quality, which is more original than an electric drum set.
Types of Drum Sets
Drum sets vary based on their size and type – electric and acoustic. Electric drums come with rubber pads installed onto the kit. Electric drums can produce louder sound when connected to an amplifier.
- An acoustic drum kit comes with metal cymbals, drums, and wood that produces the sound.
- Furthermore, these drum kits are available in a set of 4 or 5 drums.
- A 4-piece set consists of 2 toms, a snare drum, and a bass drum.
- And a 5-piece set consists of 3 toms, a snare drum, and a bass drum.
- The diameter size is another factor that distinguishes the type of drum kits available in the market.
- The most common and preferred size of the snare drum is 14-inch.
How to use Drum Set?
Drummers can customize and modify their kits with additional percussion according to their preferences. The most common parts of all drum sets are bass and snare drums, floor toms, hi-hat, crash and ride cymbals.
- The bass drum, also known as the kick drum, is the biggest drum on the kit.
- Kick drums produce loud low-pitch sounds when hit with the foot pedal.
- Snare drums come with metal springs that produce high vibrating sounds upon hitting against the drumhead.
- Toms or floor tops produce a deep sound when struck.
- Hi-hat cymbals are brass plates that create a high-pitch sound when opened and closed with a foot pedal.
- Drum sets are available with either one or two crash cymbals that make a high crash sound.
- Ride cymbals are thicker and larger than crash cymbals, which create a shimmering sound complimenting the sound created by other instruments.
- Various other percussion instruments are attached to a drum set, however, these are basic components of a kit.
List of Top 6 Best Drum Sets in India Buyers Guide
Purchasing an ideal drum kit was confusing and exhausting, therefore thorough research was conducted. That’s why we made a list of the top 6 products below.
1. Roland Electronic Drum Set TD-1K:
The Roland TD-1K is an 8-piece electronic drum kit. It is suitable for beginner- and intermediate-level drummers. The drum comes with 15 drum kits, a metronome, and a recorder.
- Roland Drum Set comes with 15 studio-quality drums. It is ideal for new learners
- Low noise kick pedal and adjustable sound levels, ideal for playing at home
- Limited built-in tracks for playback
2. Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit Eight-Piece All-Mesh Electronic Drum Set with Drum Key, Play-Along Tracks & Drum Sticks:
This is an 8-piece electronic drum kit by Alesis. It comes with 60 built-in tracks and 40 classic kits to play along with. It comes with a performance recorder, metronome, sequencer, and an AUX input. The kit comes with 8-inch toms, an 8-inch dual-zone pad, and 3 x 10-inch cymbal pads.
- Alesis Nitro Mesh Drum Set has a 4-post aluminium frame rack
- It comes with 1 rubber and 4 mesh pads
- The mesh head size is smaller than the standard
3. Pearl MFH1022PK Mesh Head Pack:
The Pearl MFH1022PK mesh heads made of strong mesh fabric produces a realistic sound similar to a regular mesh head. They are easy to install and make fairly low noise compared to the normal mesh heads.
- Pearl Mesh Pack consists of 5 mesh heads (10,12,14,16, and 22-inches)
- Realistic sound and low noise are ideal for practising and playing at home
- After consistent usage, the bass/kick drum mesh gets damaged
4. Behringer Premium 8-Piece Electronic Drum Set XD80USB:
The Behringer XD80USB is an ideal kit for beginners that comes with 175 distinct sounds and 15 studio-quality drum sets. It comes with an additional 5 programmable and 10 factory default drum sets.
- Behringer Drum Set comes with 8-pieces.
- You can connect with virtual instruments via USB connectivity
- Wide range of 175 distinct sounds and 15 studio-quality drum sets for beginners
- It comes with a 3-year warranty too.
- Not durable
- Uncomfortable when hitting hard on the pads
5. Trinity HD-11 Digital Drum Set:
This is an 8-piece economical digital drum kit that is ideal for intermediate and beginner level drummers. The drum kit features recording options, 15 built-in drum sounds, and play tunes via external sources.
- Trinity Drum Set is easy to install and does not require much space.
- Economical compared to most similar digital drum sets
- Foot pedals might not be suitable for professional drummers
6. Lemon AURZART T-550 8-Piece Electronic Drum Set with Pair of Stick and 1 Stool Throne:
Aurzart provides this 8-piece electric drum set called the Lemon T550. It is featured with 22 default pre-set and 10 user-programmable sound kits. This has a recorder, metronome, and an option to adjust up to 10 tempos.
- Lemon Electronic Drum Kit featured 22 pre-set and 10 programmable drum sounds
- USB and headphones connectivity
- Not suitable for professional drummers
At the present moment, you have successfully reviewed the list of the top 10 best drum sets in India. So, it should be easy for you to determine which drum kit is best for you.
All the above options make it easy for you to make a good choice of the best drum set for you along with valuable benefits.
What is the cost of a drum kit or set?
A standard acoustic drum kit is available in the range of Rs 18,000 to 20,000. However, they can go up to Rs 1,30,000 depending on the type, features, and brand.
What are the drums in a drum kit called?
The kit consists of various drums – bass drum, snare drum, low/floor tom, mid tom, and high tom.
What does a full drum set consist of?
The standard components of a drum set are bass drum, snare drum, low/floor tom, mid tom, high tom, high hats, ride cymbal and crash cymbal. However, they are not limited to these components as more attachments could be added to the drum kits.
What is the cheapest drum set?
Infinity offers the cheapest set of acoustic drums available in India. The price starts at Rs 17,500.
Why are drum sets are so expensive?
The hardware quality, build quality, and finishing applied to them make the drum sets expensive.
Are drums hard to learn?
With 1-2 hours spent daily on practising, you can become proficient in about 10-12 months. According to drummers, learning how to play the drums is easy yet hard to master.