Cloves are the flowers, used as the spices in the food. It belongs to the tree in the family Myrtaceae, Syzygium aromaticum. The tree of cloves is native to Indonesia and bears dry and aromatic flower buds.
When cloves turn pink on the trees, they are put on the large sheets to get sundried. Cloves dry under the open skies unless they turn into becoming a brown colour. Cloves are preferable in the whole form. However, some dishes require powdered cloves. Also, check the buyer’s guide to buying the best Black Raisins, Black Cardamom, Cardamom, Khus Khus, Black Pepper Powder, White Pepper Powder, Dry coconut, Cardamom Powders, Cocoa Powder, Cumin powder, Cheese Powder, Turmeric Powder, ginger powder, mulethi powder, Dalchini Powder, Eliachi Powder, Dalchini sticks, Elaichi, Peppercorns, Black Peppercorns, Cumin powder, masala tea powders, Amla Juice, Giloy Juice, Triphala Churna, Tulsi Drops, Aloe Vera Juice, Mishri, Ginger Powder, Anjeer, Badam, Mamra Badam, Walnut, Dry dates, coconut powder, Kishmish, Pista, and Long Peppercorns
So, both whole and ground cloves are used. When the chefs soak the cloves in the water, the cloves become softer and more flavorful. Cloves are available in all seasons as cloves’ harvest seasons vary from one country to another.
Top 10 Best Cloves in India
Buyers Guide – Cloves
Cloves have antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. Also, these are the best ingredient that enriches your food and the body.
You should consider the following facts at the time of buying the cloves in the market:
Size of the Cloves:
- The size of the cloves determines the quality of the cloves.
- And the large size of the cloves has the best taste, flavour, and aroma packed inside it.
Quality of the Cloves:
- You must never compromise on the quality of the cloves.
- To ensure the quality of the cloves, the origin and processing method of the cloves should be read.
The freshness of the Cloves:
- Cloves must be fresh.
- You must buy the packet of the recently manufactured cloves.
- The packets of the cloves should be clean.
- There must not be a little dirt on the cloves.
- Many producers of the clove offer clove at competitive prices.
- So, you must dig a little bit and buy the reasonably priced cloves.
- There are various brands of cloves.
- Each brand packs its unique taste, flavour, and aroma in the cloves.
- After reading proper reviews of the users, you may choose to buy the product.
Colour of the Cloves:
- When cloves dry, they turn into a dark brown colour.
- You should check the colour otherwise, it would have no taste and flavour.
Features of Cloves
- Cloves are antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antioxidant.
- The main determinants of the best features of the cloves are their sources and processing methods.
- Handpicked cloves are pink in colour, which become brown having been sun-dried.
- The cloves are fresh and clean.
- They dried in a hygienic and clean place. After proper drying and cleaning, cloves are packed in tightly.
- Whether in a pouch or a container, the cloves are preserved in a fresh state.
- Cloves are packed with a good many beneficial properties.
- Manufacturers ensure high aroma, strong flavour, and pungent taste.
- The top-quality cloves are large in size and firm.
- They do not break or shrink off.
- The organically produced homestead cloves are the best, filled with natural fragrance.
Types of Cloves
The types of cloves can be based on their place of origin. Cloves are harvested worldwide in different countries.
- If the cloves are harvested in India, it would be termed the Indian authentic clove’s spice.
- Types of cloves can also be divided according to their sizes.
- There are large, medium, and small-sized cloves.
- Large cloves are the finest type of cloves.
- Medium and small-sized cloves have good taste and natural fragrance.
- Indonesian cloves are famous in the world and have a strong flavour and aroma.
- Likewise, cloves are produced in different countries around the world.
- Cloves of different countries are packed with the essential spice flavour.
Benefits of Cloves?
Cloves are used for a variety of dishes as well as purposes. Cloves are used in whole and powdered forms. There are non-culinary uses of the cloves.
- Cloves have medical uses as well as adverse effects.
- When you are intending to use cloves for medical purposes, you should only take the recommended dosage.
- Many studies have been conducted that establish its effectiveness for fever reduction.
- It is also an effective mosquito repellent.
- Cloves have great uses in the dental field also.
- There is strong evidence that suggests that cloves are effective healers of tooth pain.
- Cloves are a traditional medicine as the essential oil, which has great applications in aromatherapy.
- Overuse of the cloves can also cause adverse effects such as food allergies, blood clotting, immune system disorders, liver diseases, etc.
- All in all, clove is the main food ingredient as well as a highly effective medicine.
List of Top 10 Best Cloves in India Buyers Guide
1. Manushree Spices Whole Special Laung 100g:
Manushree is a premium-quality brand, which offers affordable and special whole cloves. Cloves give the authentic Indian spice taste.
- Cloves have the best-quality aroma and taste.
- These do not contain any agents. They are pure and natural.
- Also, these are bigger and reddish in the color.
- This is a non-returnable product.
2. Seeds and Hands Idukki Cloves Whole:
This is a premium and authentic Indian spice. The cloves are homestead produce, which is 100% organic.
- Each clove is cherry-picked to ensure the quality of the cloves.
- Cloves are full of aroma and flavour.
- They are 100% organic cloves.
- This is a non-returnable product.
3. Pehchan E Shahi Fresh & Natural Cloves(Laung)- Pack of 2, 400 Gram:
Pehchan e Shahi brings the best taste and aroma to your doorstep. You get a pack of 2,400 grams of cloves for under INR.
- The natural cloves come in an easy-to-use pouch.
- Cloves bring a warm and spicy taste to the cooked food.
- The cloves are full of a strong aroma and flavour.
- Users have said that it has a strong taste.
4. Amazon Brand Vedaka Clove 50g:
This brand of cloves offers value for the money. The manufacturer produces high-quality cloves across the year.
- Amazon Brand promises not to add artificial colours or additives.
- The Amazon Brand puts through the cloves under stringent laboratory tests to ensure safety and healthiness.
- Workers take special care in packaging the cloves.
- Users have said that these cloves are not as good as the organic ones.
5. WONDERLAND FOODS Premium Quality Whole Laung Sabut 250 g:
Wonderland Foods offer top-quality whole clove spices. They are exceptionally clean as well as long in the size.
- Manufacturers of the product ensure the nutritional value.
- This is a vegetarian product.
- Cloves are pungent and fragrant.
- Users have said that this is not a good quality product.
6. Cape Fresh Spices Whole Natural Raw Dried Clove:
Cape Fresh is a premium-quality brand of cloves. It is popular for its flavour and smell.
- It is a handpicked, sundried and naturally grown cloves product.
- From the hills of the cape of Comorin, it comes packed in an airtight jar.
- Cloves are full of oil, which increases the taste of the cooked food.
- Users have complained that the cloves are dry and bland in flavour.
7. Obbi Fresh Laung Large Size Whole Export:
Sourced from the hills of Kerala, the Obbi brand offers premium-quality cloves. They are brown in the color.
- It is a large-sized clove.
- Cloves have the best-imported quality.
- Also, these preserve freshness in zipper packaging.
- They are not as flavorful and aromatic as others listed here.
8. Mannat Cloves 200g:
The Mannat offers top-quality and long cloves to the consumers. They are flavorful and highly aromatic.
- The aroma of the clove has the perfect fragrance.
- They are available at a competitive price.
- They are delivered delicious and fresh.
- Consumers have complained that they are not edible.
9. Chataka Clove 100g:
Chataka is the best-quality and hygienically packed clove. They add great flavour to your food.
- They are well-dried cloves.
- The Chataka cloves are natural and pure.
- They are affordable at a good price.
- Users have complained that cloves were broken.
10. Urban Platter Whole Cloves (Laving), 100g:
Offered by the Urban Platter, they come fresh to your house from Indonesia. They come packed in the best-quality jars.
- Urban platter produces longer and fresher cloves.
- Manufacturers preserve the original and natural fragrance.
- The cloves have a large size.
- Users have complained that cloves are a bit dry.
Cloves are dried flowers, which have a great aroma, flavour, and taste. These are used around the world due to their specific pungency and sharp taste in food. Also, these have a great many medical applications as well.
They are beneficial for blood sugar levels, liver, stomach ulcers, tooth pain, etc. Also, these fight against cancer.
Is Laung or clove good for health?
Cloves offer a good many health benefits. It prevents the growth of bacteria and maintains blood sugar.
Also, these are full of antioxidant properties that combat radical damage and increase the immunity of the consumer.
What are the side effects of cloves?
There are many side effects of the clove, which cause erection problems, delayed ejaculation, rashes, itching, etc. They are also effective in healing sore gums, tooth changes, swollen gums, mouth irritation, etc.
What are the benefits of eating cloves?
Following are some of the top benefits of consuming the cloves:
- Cloves are replete with antioxidants.
- They contain important nutrients such as fiber, vitamins, minerals, manganese, etc.
- It helps protect against cancer.
- It has antimicrobial properties, which kill bacteria.
- Also, it is beneficial for liver health.
- Compounds in the cloves help to maintain the sugar blood levels.
- It is also effective in promoting bone health.
- Clove is also helpful in treating stomach ulcers.
Is Laung good for cough?
Yes. Chewing a burnt cough is the best treatment for the cough.
Is Clove an antiviral?
Yes. Cloves have antiviral properties.
How many cloves can I eat in a day?
On daily basis, you can consume 2-3 cloves.