Black cardamom commonly used in India and other Arabic countries. It has a sweet fragrance and a distinct flavor mainly used in savory dishes. Other people like to infuse cardamom in their coffee or tea and it greatly enhances their flavor.
Both pods and seeds of the black cardamom used in culinary. Also used to make fragrances and incense because of its strong aroma. If you love a savory dish packed with flavor and aroma like no other, it is the best spice that you must try today. Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best masala tea powders in India.
In this article, we will be tackling the features and types of black cardamom and answer the most asked questions about this spice.
Top 10 Best Black Cardamom in India
Buyers Guide – Black Cardamom
If you love Indian or Chinese cuisine and want to try the authentic flavor at home, buying black cardamom is the best decision you could make. It will give your food more aroma and flavor.
You could even add it to your tea or coffee for a great new flavor blend in your drinks. With this said, it is absolutely up to you to purchase the product.
- Before buying, go explore its flavor so your money would not go to waste.
- Experiencing something this unique and flavorful will not only broaden your taste palate but would also transport you to the origins of this spice.
- If you think that it is something you wouldn’t want to waste your money on, then it is okay.
- Make sure you already have tasted food with black cardamom in restaurants because not everybody likes the taste of it.
- It will definitely give you a hint of what their culture is like and someday, you could visit the places where it is harvested.
- If you are one of the few people who loves taking risks, spending money on this type of spice
- And it will definitely be worth the price and you could serve your dishes to friends and family.
So that more and more people get to experience and appreciate such a distinct flavor and strong aroma that not all spices have.
Features of Black Cardamom
- The black cardamom’s aroma is pungent yet when eaten gives off a citrus and eucalyptus flavor.
- It is an herbaceous plant that belongs to the ginger family.
- Also, it grows in pods and those pods together with the seeds are used for spices and other aromatic things.
- These pods are often dry and hard.
- The pods also feature a wrinkly surface that is roughly an inch in length.
- And the seeds are dark in color and very sticky.
- It is most commonly found in the Himalayas or Southern China but these days, 50% of the production is from India.
Types of Black Cardamom
There are two types of black cardamom harvested and produced as a spice.
Below are the two types of black cardamom:
- This variety is the most commonly used black cardamom in India
- Also, Indians not only add this just in food but also in drinks like tea and coffee.
Amomum tsao – ko:
- This is very popular in Chinese cuisine.
- This gives off the fragrance and unique taste of Chinese food.
- Another variety of black cardamom comes from Africa.
- The Aframomum has the same distinct pungent smell and flavor as Amomum sobulatom.
Uses of Black Cardamom?
Using black cardamom in dishes or drinks is very simple.
- If you bought your cardamom as powder, all you need to do is put the desired amount of cardamom into your dishes and let all the other ingredients mix well with your spice.
- If you have it in seeds, it could also be done the same.
- You could even infuse your hot drinks with it to spice your drinks a little and give you a one of a kind experience with the mixing of flavors.
- It is as easy as adding salt and pepper to your dishes but always remember to use it moderately it.
- Because already it has a strong flavor and you only need a little bit each time.
List of Top 10 Black Cardamom in the Market
1. Amazon Brand Vedaka Cardamom:
Vedaka black cardamom is carefully and hygienically packed making sure it is clean and is safe for consumption.
- It is well packaged and safe for use even for vegetarians.
- This brand maintains quality all throughout the year making sure all their products meet the standards.
- Some pieces inside are very dried and have shrunk, leaving only a few useful seeds or grains.
- Package dates are a bit old which means it is not that fresh anymore.
2. SFT Cardamom Black Whole Organic Elaichi Big Size 50 Gm:
SFT products are high quality products from growers all over the world. They always make sure their black cardamom spice is of the highest quality compared to other brands.
- The seeds are huge and worth the price
- They are 100% organic.
- For some buyers, the total weight said on the package was not the same as the content.
- Bit pricey compared to other brands
3. Grandma Argo Black Cardamom (250g):
With only the customers in mind, Grandma Argo Black Cardamom is one of the highest-rated brands in the market today.
- The items are well packaged
- All of the pieces are big and looking fresh
- Since these come in pods, not seeds, some pods do not have seeds which is a waste of money.
4. Nature Vit Black Cardamom, 50 gm:
Their black cardamoms have a very earthy flavor and strong aroma that will make you want to have more.
- They offer good quality and price for a pack of black cardamom
- It is packed fresh and will arrive fresh on your doorstep
- Some buyers stated that the black cardamoms they purchased do not have any flavor
- It can be very dry and will be a waste of money.
5. Pechan-E Fresh & Natural Cardamom 100 grams:
This black cardamom spice is used in both sweet and savory dishes that makes it one of the most versatile spices there is.
- It offers a quick delivery process to make sure customers get only the freshest cardamom right on their doorstep
- The company follows all safety and hygiene standards for packaging to ensure only the best quality products are released
- It is packed raw and cannot be used in such a state.
- There are fewer seeds packed and more of the pods which are also not that useful
6. Chataka Black Cardamom, 100G:
With a weight of 100 grams and a shelf life of up to a year, this pack of black cardamom surely be worth the price.
- The packaging is perfect
- Each pod is filled with seeds and no pod is empty
- There is no distinct fragrance
- The label on the internet and on the packaging is different which is misleading
7. Tulunadu Flavours Badi Elaichi, 250 grams:
Once you open up a pack of this black cardamom, you will be welcomed with a camphor-like aroma that will ensure you it was produced with the highest quality standard.
- It meets all hygienic standards when it comes to packaging
- Also, it comes directly from India making it the best quality product
- The size is small compared to other black cardamom produced.
8. Salz & Aroma Badi Eliachi 100 g:
Great for both sweet and savory dishes. Well packed so that it ships properly without any damage.
- It has a higher quality compared to other brands
- The seeds are big and it is worth the price
- The price is too expensive for the product.
9. Maanki Whole Sabut Elaichi 1kg:
This spice is called the “Queen of Spices”. It used for drinks, hot meals, cold meals, and even desserts.
- The seeds are huge compared to other brands.
- For a 1kg pack, it is worth the money.
- Some, maybe more, pods do not have seeds inside.
10. WONDERLAND FOODS Premium Quality Whole Black Elaichi Spices 250g:
With an all-natural, no preservatives added kind of product, you are 100% sure that you have the best quality and freshness each time you purchase one.
- It is an excellent product that you could store during long periods of time’
- Also, this is high-quality black cardamom.
- The seeds are dry therefore won’t give off too much flavor
- There are stones with the seeds
Black cardamom well known to many cultures and cuisines around the world. This spice is very versatile and used in more than just savory dishes.
If you wish to buy your own cardamom to always have in case you have cravings, it is important to know your product and to know which brands offer the highest possible quality.
1. What is black cardamom used for?
It is mainly used as an added flavor and aroma to savory dishes in India, China, and countries near them.
2. What is the difference between green and black cardamom?
Although they both used in flavoring and adding aroma to food, It is more popular and widely used up today.
3. Is black cardamom good for your health?
Yes, it is. Also, it can relieve stomach pains and stomach ulcers and is greatly helpful in digestion.
4. Why is black cardamom so expensive?
All black cardamoms produced in farms and 100% organic. Such work needs dedication, commitment, and perfection to produce high-quality cardamom.
5. What happens if we eat cardamom daily?
First of all, your digestive system becomes healthier which means you could digest your food properly that will avoid having life-threatening illnesses in the future.