Yoga has become increasingly popular over the last decade or so making the demand for yoga mat much higher than it used to be. There are both mental and physical benefits that come with doing yoga for at least 20 minutes a day.
Physical benefits include weight loss, improved circulation, and respiration, better flexibility, as well as an increase in strength. Mental benefits revolve around the management of stress and anxiety that you may feel after a long day or just in general.
Of course, you can’t do yoga comfortably without the use of a yoga mat and there are many to choose from. It is important to find the right mat for your build and needs.
List of Top 12 Best Yoga Mat Online In India
Features to keep in mind while choosing Yoga Mat
- Yoga mats come in all styles and sizes to accommodate every personality.
- You can get plain ones or others that have designs on them to give you some motivation.
- They are primarily used to make yoga easier and more comfortable to do, to encourage the practice.
- The different materials are good for different reasons and some are more comfortable than others.
- They can also be quite easily cleaned if you get the right material.
- They are coarse to provide more friction when you are holding yoga poses which prevent slipping to give you a great workout.
- High-quality products will last you much longer which makes it easy to familiarize yourself with your mat to make using it easier.
Types of Yoga Mats
To cater to different people, yoga mats come in quite a few styles including:
- Sticky yoga mats that can be used at home and are great if you want to stay in a specific pose for longer because your feet stick to it.
- Natural rubber is a great material to use for a variety of reasons. It is also environmentally friendly and biodegradable to reduce the harm it does to the planet.
- Jute mats are another environmentally friendly option that can be used for different yoga routines. It is durable and sticky to make sure it works well for your needs.
- Travel mats are great for moving around with and they are easily packed into your luggage. Because they are portable, they are somewhat thinner than other mats, but they have a non-slip feature.
Yoga Mat Buyers Guide
- If you want the best yoga mat for your needs, you need to consider the thickness of it. They should be between 0.2 and 0.5 in. for the best thickness. Normally 0.5 in. on the thicker side and should only be used if you want some extra comfort. The texture is very important because if the material is too smooth, you will slip which defeats the purpose of a yoga mat.
- There are different materials to choose from according to what you prefer. There are both synthetic and more eco-friendly options as well both of which have advantages and disadvantages. If you want to be able to travel with your mat, you will also need to consider how portable it is.
- Some come with carrying bags and are generally easier to clean, while other, heavier options might be a bit more cumbersome. The best mats are about 6 inches longer than your height to give you as much room as you need when doing yoga. Width is just as important for your comfort because you want your whole body to be on the mat regardless of the position you are in. Consider your budget as well, but always try to get the highest quality mat that you can.
How Yoga Mat is useful?
- The coarse material on each side of the mat uses friction to prevent you from slipping off the mat and to prevent the mat from slipping on the ground. The barrier provides comfort to stop you from hurting yourself by digging your body into the ground and it also stops any heat loss from your body.
- They are flexible enough to be rolled up and easily stored, and some come with carrier bags for added convenience. Even the thicker ones are lightweight enough to be carried around easily. Many different materials can be used to make yoga mats and they all have pros and cons.
- Some mats are made to be biodegradable for the more eco-conscious person. Synthetic materials can also be used, but they can be slippery and harmful to the environment. Some surfaces do not accommodate mats as well as others such as sand and grass, Best used on hard flooring and carpet.
List of Top 12 Best Yoga Mats in India
1. AmazonBasics 13mm Extra Thick Yoga Mat
A textured surface makes gripping easy to prevent you from slipping. A carrying strap included making it easy to transport when you’re on your way to class. The material is lightweight and durable foam so it is comfortable and will last long.
- A carrying strap makes it easier to carry
- It is thick enough to be comfortable
- Foam is not as durable as other materials
2. VIFITKIT Yoga Mat with Free Bag
This durable mat made from biodegradable material and contains no silicone, latex, or PVC. You can easily wash it and sweat resistant to help it last longer. There are different thicknesses to choose from to satisfy your personal needs.
- Biodegradable material is eco-friendly
- Sweat resistance makes it much more durable
- Can be difficult to fold
3. Strauss Anti-Skid Yoga Mat
Washable and easy to fold, this mat is great for yoga and other floor activities. Mat non-slip to make holding postures easier and this is brought about by a textured surface on the foam that it is made with.
- Textured surfaces give you a good grip
- Easily washed for your convenience.
- Foam is not the most durable material
4. Brandvilla Yoga Mat with Carrying Bag
Besides the fact that a carrying bag is included, this mat wide and long enough to comfortable for anyone. It is made of moisture-resistant material making it easier to wash and it will last longer. The non-slip surface will allow you to hold positions for as long as you want to.
- Carrying bad included for portability
- Moisture resistance makes it much easier to clean
- It can become thinner after use
5. Fitkit 6mm Yoga Mat
A non-slip surface makes this perfect for all of your yoga needs and it can be machine washed making it extra convenient. Water-resistance makes it resilient enough for long-term use.
- Textured surfaces make gripping easier
- Machine washable for your convenience
- It may compress after some use
6. VITFITKIT Long Anti-Skid Yoga Mat
Long enough to accommodate anyone, this mat designed to be comfortable as well as portable. It comes with a carrying strap and is very easily washed with soapy water.
- A carrying strap makes it easy to move around with
- Moisture resistant making it easy to wash
- The material may have an unpleasant smell at first
7. Boldfit Yoga Mat with Cover Bag
This textured mat is comfortable and big enough to accommodate both men and women. It includes a carrying bag for easy transport and it can be washed easily.
- A carrying bag is provided for portability
- Textured surfaces make it slip-resistant
- The material can compress over time
8. TEGO Stance Truly Reversible 5mm Mat
The double-texture feature of this mat makes it more versatile than some others. You can flip it around to suit your style of workout. It is 5mm thick for your comfort.
- 2 textures make it interchangeable for different workouts
- Treated with antimicrobial technology to reduce odor
- One side may be more slippery than the other
9. Boldfit Yoga Mat with Bag and Body Alignment System
Slip resistance reduces the risk of you injuring yourself when practicing yoga. It is also water-resistant to make it more hygienic and easier to clean after use.
- Textured surface provides more grip
- Easily cleaned due to water resistance
- Material has a strong smell for the first few days
10. Ozoy 10mm Extra Thick Yoga Mat with Carrying Bag
The slip-resistant bottom gives you stability when working out and it can be machine washed with cold water. The provided carrying bag makes moving around very easy.
- The textured bottom surface provides stability
- Machine washable to add convenience
- Foam can be less durable
11. Curveit TPE MUDRA Anti-Slip 6mm Yoga Mat
Memory foam makes up this extra-long and wide mat that can be used by both men and women. It is moisture resistant to make washing it much easier.
- Moisture resistance reduces odour
- The longer size makes it good for anyone
- It is a bit slippery
12. Effingo 3mm Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap
The eco-friendly material used for this mat textured to prevent slipping. It provides support and comfort when you are doing your yoga routine.
- The material is environmentally friendly
- Textured surfaces give you a good grip
- It is a bit thinner than other mats
There are many types and designs to choose from to fit every need. They come at different price ranges and can be high or low quality. The right mat for you is dependent on what you need in terms of comfort and material as well as size. Maybe get different mats to add some versatility to your workouts, but overall, a yoga mat is a great convenience to bring to your class or have in your home.
What is the best thickness for a yoga mat?
The best thickness is dependent on what you want to do. If the mat is too thin, your joints might push into the floor during certain postures. It is recommended that you go for about 0.5 in. thick mats to get the best results.
What are the benefits of a yoga mat?
These mats are good for holding positions because they are designed to be non-slip in comparison to the floor. They also provide a barrier between you and the floor so that you are more comfortable and don’t lose any heat from your body.
Why are yoga mats so expensive?
Not all yoga mats are that expensive, but the better the quality, the higher the price. The paint may flake off of cheaper ones and they may not keep their form for as long as more expensive yoga mats.
What can I use if I don’t have a yoga mat?
You can use towels, blankets, the beach, grass, a bathmat, or even carpet instead of a mat, but it won’t be as comfortable or functional as the original.