Peppercorns are the king of spices since like salt, they’re present in nearly all dishes. If Salt brings out the flavour in food then, pepper makes food even bolder. That’s why pepper is the most in savoury foods and even sweet ones. The white peppercorns, just like every other peppercorn variety – black, pink, green, etc. Comes from the plant family Piperaceae, it’s native to south India and also grows in the tropical regions. Hence, the plant is a vine whose green fruit grows in clusters. And when mature, it’s picked and processed hygienically into white peppercorns.
Also check the buyers guide for Best White Pepper Powder brands, pepper powder, long pepper brands, Best black Elaichi, Green cardamom, Best cloves-laungh, Best Dal Chini Brands & elaichi powder brands in India.
Top 10 Best White Peppercorns in India
Features of Best White peppercorns
- White peppercorn is a tiny seed about 5mm (0.20 inches) in diameter, with a single seed present in the middle.
- And, it’s white because, after harvest, you’ll need to soak it for 10 days.
- Thereafter, you take off its skin to reveal the white seed and then dry it properly.
- A nutrient, Piperine which is responsible for its peppery taste is present on both the skin and seed.
- This is the more reason black pepper is hotter than white pepper because its skin is still intact.
- Causing the piperine to be more whereas, in white pepper, it’s lesser.
Types of Best White peppercorns
White peppercorns are usually available in three forms:
This form of white pepper is very common and its shelf life is approximately 2-3 years. It also gives a fresher aroma and flavor.
Unlike whole white peppercorns, ground white pepper losses its potency after a short time, say three months.
Like whole peppercorns, this pepper can last and also retain potency for 1-2 years. Here, the pepper is not completely ground but cracked into tiny bits.
Buyer’s guide – Best White peppercorns
Peppercorns do not easily go bad but when not taken care of properly, they go stale and lose their potency. Apply these tips before and also after purchasing your white pepper.
- Read labels carefully before buying.
- Check for an expiry date or best before date. However, this does not mean the product is bad, only that the flavor might not be as efficient.
- Also, check for its manufactured date to know how long the product has been stored.
- Check for any damage to the product’s seal. To prevent product contamination and pest infestation, too.
- After purchase, store product in a cool dry place, away from fire, light, and water.
- It should always be in an airtight container.
Uses of White peppercorns
- White peppercorns serve as a spice all over the world as well as, a medicine.
- Similarly, it has rich antioxidant compounds that help prevent diseases caused by free radicals.
- Some of these disease amongst many is vision loss, arthritis, heart disease, brain damage, and acceleration of the ageing process.
- Therefore, peppercorns help to lower the risk of these effects and also speed up digestion.
- Therefore, they’re many ways you might choose to use your white pepper apart from using it as a seasoning.
- Some of these are: reducing inflammation, boosting curcumin absorption, treat diarrhea, lowers blood pressure, and also prevents bloating.
- All these are possible if this product is consumed in the right proportion.
List of Top 10 Best White peppercorn Brands in India
1. Godka Organic Whole White Pepper, 500g
Godka is an Indian brand that specializes in the processing and packaging of white peppercorns. This product is organic with no added artificial preservative hence, it is very safe. Its net weight is 500grams and contains whole pepper seeds suitable for light-colored dishes. For instance, Indian, European, and Asian dishes make use of white pepper where black pepper is less appropriate.
- The seeds are dry.
- It is very durable.
- It gives the dish an excellent flavor.
- Pungent smell
2. Dawn Lee Whole White Pepper
This product contains whole peppercorns, packaged in a 50grams air-tight plastic bag. It is 100% pure white pepper with no preservative/chemical and also gluten-free. This product is one of the Indians finest and meets FSSAI food requirements. Hence, for best results add pepper to white sauces and mashed potato dishes.
- Excellent flavour.
- The seed is completely dry.
- The size of the product is small.
3. Being Marwari Premium Whole White Pepper
Marwari peppercorn is Indian-made and neatly put in a 100gram standup zipper bag. Also, this whole pepper was carefully and hygienically processed before packaging, it was first produced in 2019. Since then, this product has won the hearts of Indians and it’s put into different varieties of dishes.
- Neatly packaged.
- It is a good quality product.
- Due to harsh conditions, some seeds might appear rotten.
4. NatureVit Whole White pepper
This whole peppercorn is one of Indians’ fine white pepper for preparing white-colour dishes. You can also use it in Swedish dishes as well and a host of others. Natur-Vit white pepper was first produced in the year 2018 and since then has stolen the heart of its customers with almost a 5-star rating. And, it comes in a 200g air-tight zipper pouch for long-term preservation. For any information relating to their white pepper, contact them through their Email, Website, or Social Media handle. This is provided on the label inside the pouch also, you can reach them through their customer care line.
- Good quality.
- Gives fresh flavour to food.
- It’s rare and should be produced in more quality.
5. Vedaka White Peppercorn
This brand of peppercorns is known for its consistency – retaining its good quality products from the year it was first sold to date. Often, most products drop in production quality as demand increases yearly but that isn’t the case for Vedakas peppercorns. Consistency is the key throughout these past years of production and the future years to come. Alongside this, they are no added preservatives or artificial coloring, it is purely natural. You can consume it in large quantities without fear of any underlining ailment that can damage your health. Also, it’s hygienically put in a 100g bag and it meets all of FSSAI food safety regulations.
- Seed quality is good.
- Good flavor.
- It doesn’t come in a zipper bag.
6. SRI Natural White Pepper
Originally, SRI white pepper grows in the western ghats, it’s handpicked, processed, and packaged hygienically by the SRI Trading Company. It comes in a 100 grams zipper bag and, is approved by the FSSAI food safety norm. Altogether, this white pepper has a wide range of health benefits to help prolong human life especially for the elderly. For instance, it cures stubborn cough, arthritis, kills cancerous cells, ulcers causing bacteria, headaches, and even good for weight loss. Hence, for best usage, you should use it within 8 months from the manufacturing date.
- Seed quality is good.
- Has a good aroma and flavour.
- Highly organic.
- This product has no Con.
7. Organic Purify White pepper
Organic white pepper is purely organic as the name implies without any trace of artificial ingredients added. This product retains its pure pungent smell, peppery taste, and also its health benefits. Such as, lowering blood pressure, fights dandruff, aids proper digestion, help treats diarrhoea and a host of other benefits. For best use and durability, you should store it in a cool dry place inside an airtight container. Finally, it is made in India and the product has a net weight of 100 grams.
- Seeds are good.
- Good flavor.
- It has traces of stones in it.
8. Tassyam White Peppercorns
This peppercorn is packaged in a bottle to prevent any form of contamination or bug infestation. It’s manufactured by Goel United Spice Trading Office (GUSTO) founded in 1940. Just like every other high-quality white pepper, it is suitable for vegetarians and contains no artificial colors. And, this Indian product weighing 100grams is FSSAI approved with a health benefit. Such as, it provides easy digestion and it’s a good boost of immunity with zero cholesterol and zero fat.
- Good product design.
- Packaged in a bottle.
- Good flavour.
- It comes with a mixture of other nuts.
9. Urban Platter Malabar Organic Whole White Pepper
Urban white pepper comes in a stem sterilized grinder bottle of about 60 grams net weight. Additionally, it contains no 0% fat, 0% sodium, and 0%cholesterol which is very healthy. Since it helps decrease blood pressure and provides vitamin K, manganese, iron, and fibre for the body. It’s often used in light colour dishes where black pepper is not applicable such as casseroles, pies, mashed potatoes, etc.
- Seed quality is good.
- The grinder works very well.
- Good flavour.
- The bottle is not reusable.
10. Salz and Aroma Whole White Pepper
Salz and Aroma is a popular brand in India that produces white pepper in its original form. It is also 100 % organically pure with no added chemicals or preservatives. This product provides natural color, aroma, and hygiene. It has gone through various tests by the FSSAI body and it is safe for consumption. Also, this pepper doesn’t just serve as a spice that enhances the taste of food but it provides health benefits. Due to no sodium, it makes food safe for high-blood-pressure patients, aids in weight loss, and destroy cancerous bacteria.
- Good flavor.
- It’s a vegetarian product
- The bottle is reusable.
- Seeds are very dry.
- It has no negative review.
In conclusion, all varieties of peppercorns – white, black, green, red, etc, are all from the same peppercorn fruit. They are also healthy but the only difference is, they are processed differently.
Why is white pepper so expensive?
White pepper goes through more processes after harvest compared to black pepper, therefore, its production is less.
Is white pepper the same as white peppercorn?
Yes, but white pepper usually refers to the ground form while white peppercorn commonly refers to/an identifier for whole white pepper.
Is white pepper hotter than black pepper?
No, white pepper has a very mild spicy heat since the piperine flavor is removed when the skin goes off.
Which is healthier black or white pepper?
Both have similar health benefits however, in terms of nutrition, white pepper has rich antioxidant properties.