A web camera (also known as a webcam) is a device that allows you to carry out video calls. When a webcam is focused on you, it takes your images and transmits them in real-time. It also captures your sound and transmits it in real-time over an Internet connection. The person on the other hand can therefore get to see and hear you in real-time. If he too has a webcam, you can in turn see and hear him in real-time.
Therefore the web camera makes it possible for you to interact ‘face to face with someone who is far away. Besides video calls, web cameras can also be useful in teleconferencing. Another area where the webcam can be useful is that of online teaching and gaming. Also, check the buyer’s guide for Dome Cameras in India.
Top 10 Best Web Cameras in India
Features of Web Camera
- Resolution is one of the most important features of a webcam.
- It determines the sharpness (or ‘realness’) of the images/videos you can take with the camera.
- The angle of view that a webcam allows is another important feature.
- It determines how well the camera is able to capture the background details of the user.
- It also influences the camera’s ability to focus on subjects.
- A camera with a good angle of view may even allow for multiple people to make a video call simultaneously.
- The people first gather around the camera.
- Then because of its wide angle of view, it is able to capture all of them.
- It captures all of them as they participate in a discussion.
- Yet another key feature in a web camera is microphone sensitivity.
- This determines how well the camera will be able to capture sound.
- Software drivers, anti-flicker capability, USB cable length, and lens quality are other key features in a webcam.
Types of Web Cameras
- There are internal (inbuilt) webcams.
- Then there are external webcams.
- The internal webcams are inbuilt into laptops as well as certain desktop computer TFT monitors.
- The external webcams, on the other hand, operate as independent stand-alone devices.
- They usually connect to computers through USB ports.
- There are webcams with zoom-type lenses.
- Then there are webcams with a wide-angle lens.
- There are webcams that operate on plug and play basis (without the need for driver software download and installation).
- There are others for which driver software installation is a must, before use.
How to use a Web Camera?
- Upon receiving your webcam, the first thing you need to do is test it.
- You do the testing to ensure that the camera is working as it should.
- Test the camera’s ability to capture images/videos as well as its ability to transmit those images/videos in real-time.
- Further, test the camera’s ability to capture sound.
- Go further and check its quality and its ability to transmit the sound in real-time.
- For day-to-day use, you will need to be connecting the camera to your computer via USB.
- After connecting the camera, you switch it on.
- ou then get the person on the other hand to switch on their camera as well.
- You create a linkage and start the video call or teleconference or online class.
- Turn the camera’s mic off when not in use, to avoid capturing unintended voices/comments.
- After the end of the video call or teleconference or online class, remember to switch the video camera off.
- Otherwise, it may continue capturing and transmitting unintended proceedings.
Buying guide for Web Camera
- First of all, you need to make inquiries on the image sharpness the camera you wish to buy can deliver.
- Also, consider the level of image brightness the camera can deliver.
- These things depend to a great extent on the camera’s lens type.
- Secondly, you need to consider compatibility.
- Ensure that the web camera you buy is compatible with your computing device (both at hardware and software levels).
- Thirdly, you need to consider the web camera price.
- With regard to web camera price, make comparisons to understand what the going rates for various webcam types are like.
- Don’t necessarily go for the lowest web camera price.
- But ensure that the camera you ultimately buy has features that fully justify its price.
- Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Hikvision CCTV camera in India.
List of Top 10 Best Web Cameras in India-Buyers Guide
1. Quantum QHM495LM 6 Light Webcam
This webcam is suitable for use both on desktop and laptop. It comes with zoom type lens.
- Comes with night vision capability
- The microphone is remarkably sensitive
- Price is relatively low
- Some may find a resolution to be a bit low
- USB cable length is only 1 meter
2. Zebronics Zeb-Crystal Clear Web Camera
Lightweight webcam, with considerably high resolution. Comes with a 1.3 meter USB cable.
- Comes with a manual switch for LED
- USB cable is longer than average (at 1.3 meters)
- The camera is light in weight
- The mic seems to have some limitations in picking sounds that are slightly far away
- The camera’s night vision feature may not be perfect for some users
3. Lenovo™ 300 FHD Webcam
Comes with an ultra-wide lens. The camera’s screen size is 3.5 inches.
- Capable of capturing stereo quality audio
- Comes with plug and play setup capability
- Compatible with both Windows and Mac computers
- Camera’s price is somewhat high
- Some may find the shutter to have the only modest capability
4. CASE U HW1 1080P Webcam
Comes with a privacy cover. Its plug allows for 360-degree rotation.
- Comes with facial enhancement technology
- Video output is crisp clear
- The angle of view is wide
- Lacks night vision feature
- The price for this webcam may be beyond reach for some
5. Tizum ZW79 HD 720p Webcam
Comes with auto-focus as well as auto light adjustment capability. The mic in this camera has considerable sensitivity.
- Has echo-canceling feature
- Compatible with almost all major operating systems
- Reasonably lightweight camera
- The camera’s side to side rotation may have limitations
- USB cable is not very long
6. BigPassport 1080P 2 0MP Full HD Webcam
What you get here is both a camera and a tripod. The camera is of High Definition (HD) type.
- Capable of detecting and auto-focusing on human faces
- The camera has a wide-angle lens
- Price is low considering that it comes with a tripod
- May not be compatible with certain computer systems
- Some users may encounter slight challenges connecting the camera initially
7. Live Tech Zoom Webcam
Can be used with desktop computers, laptops, and tablets. Comes with a noise reduction feature.
- The camera price is very reasonable
- Compatible with all major computer operating systems
- It is easy to install and configure
- Some may find the camera’s saturation to be unsatisfactory
- The camera is somewhat heavy
8. HP w200 HD 720p/30 Fps Webcam
This is a wide-angle view camera from HP. Comes with a decent built-in microphone.
- Doesn’t require drivers (it is plug and play device)
- Has support for a tripod
- Gives excellent resolution
- Price is on the higher side
- May lack compatibility with certain computing systems
9. BLUELEX HOPEPE 1080P HD Webcam
Here is a low-cost webcam, for use with both desktop and laptop computers. The camera’s lens has a 5 MP rating.
- Captures clear video and audio recordings
- Capable of canceling noise to some extent
- Price is quite low
- Has modest options for sound and video quality adjustment
- The first-time connection may be challenging for some
10. Smars® USB Rotatable HD Web Camera
This camera can rotate both up and down, as well as side by side. It is compatible with even the older operating systems such as XP and Vista (for people who still use them).
- Price is within reach of most potential users
- The camera is rather easy to operate
- Video quality is decent
- The cable is not particularly long
- The microphone has limitations in terms of range, hence one may need to move closer for it to capture sound
A good quality webcam can help you have better online interactions with friends, relatives, clients, and workmates. Making reference to this guide can help you get the best webcams in the market.
What is the best webcam to buy?
The best webcam to buy is one that has good resolution, a decent angle of view, and a reasonably sensitive microphone.
What is the use of a web camera?
Web camera usage is in video calls, teleconferencing, face-to-face social media interactions, online classes, and online gaming.
What is the cost of a web camera?
Web camera price range seems to be between 800 and 2,800 rupees depending on brand and features.