Indeed, construction has come a long way from the start of humanity. Waterproof plywood is a specimen that proves this true. Plywood is made from wood veneers glued perpendicular to each other. Coincidentally, they are great building materials as a cheaper alternative for wood. However, plywood doesn’t hold up very well on its own against water because water changes the structure of the plywood. For example, water causes the distinct layers of veneer to expand resulting in a curved and imperfect sheet. Not only that, but water can also cause rotting as moisture attracts bacteria and fungi. Subsequently, this is why we need to use waterproof plywood to ensure a much longer shelf life.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best wooden beds, wooden partitions, Teak wood sofa sets, wooden stools, wood polish, wooden chairs, bunk beds for kids, toddler beds, folding beds, single bed mattresses, Double bed mattresses, sofa cum bed, Mosquito net for bed, Table saw machines, Drill machine Kits, Sanding machines in India.
Top 10 Best Waterproof Plywood in India-Buyers Guide
Features of Waterproof Plywood
- First off, different layers of veneer make up waterproof plywood which consequently means that each layer can be made out of different materials and the front and back of the plywood are going to be the smoothest layer.
- Moving on, plywood is much stronger than other wood alternatives such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard).
- Additionally, waterproof plywood is flexible enough to make curved surfaces without damaging the front surface of the board.
- Besides, the sheets are used in the marine industry for making boats and decks.
Types of Waterproof Plywood
- Foremost, we have the BWP plywood, which stands for boiling waterproof grade plywood. This is also known as marine plywood since it has the smoothest exterior and repels water most effectively.
- Secondly, another type of waterproof plywood is MR plywood. MR stands for moisture-resistant but not completely water-resistant which makes this board a great component for the indoors.
- Thirdly, we also have the BWR plywood, known to be resistant to boiling water. We can use this type for places that have a lot of contact with steam like countertops, sinks, and more.
Buyer’s Guide for Waterproof Plywood
- Primarily, you need to know what kind is the best for your area of preference. Is it a piece of furniture, is it a boat, or is it a construction component of the house? Ask yourself all of these questions and choose the best option.
- Next, measure the area of sheets needed for your project. Depending on the amount you need, you can decide if it is better to buy a few sheets or to buy all that is needed in bulk. It is also recommended to buy a little extra than you need to prevent mishaps.
- Lastly, make sure the surface and color of the boards are up to your liking. This is an investment for years to come so you should be confident that you’re making the best choice there is.
How & where to use Waterproof Plywood
- Ultimately, we can use waterproof plywood for many projects but all of them require precise cutting and measurements. You can also paint on them as a canvas.
- Start off with sketching a blueprint of your desired creation and measure the estimated sides of each component of the project.
- Moreover, you need to trace the measurements onto the plywood itself using a pencil and since the surface is quite smooth, we can erase the marks afterward.
- Then, you can move on to cutting with a sharp saw and sanding sharp edges if you have any. Be careful with everything and make sure to keep your safety gear on.
- Next, you can start putting in marks for the screws and other parts that need to be assembled. Once satisfied you can move on to assembling everything together and giving your final touches. You can also add an extra coat of varnish or oil to increase durability.
List of Top 10 Best Waterproof Plywood in India Buyers Guide
1. MOVE2WOOD Russian Birch Plywood Boards
A high-quality board characterized as BWP plywood. Suitable for arts and crafts.
- The boards are thin and lightweight.
- The veneers are combined with non-toxic glue which is safe for kids.
- The front and back of the sheets are very slick and smooth.
- Is not suitable for making furniture because of its thinness.
- Might break easily under large force.
2. BK Gallery Waterproof Plywoods
A great canvas because of the smooth surface. Fit for an artist.
- Made in India which entails a short shipping time.
- Smooth edges because of the sharp cutting.
- Cheaper than its competitors at ₹745 for 2 sheets.
- Not very long-lasting.
- Too thin for other purposes.
3. Plyneer Gold – Waterproof Plywoods
A waterproof and weather-proof for construction.
- It comes with a warranty of 14 years.
- The layers can withstand high pressure and heat.
- Extremely sturdy and suitable for various uses.
- It is difficult to cut the thick layers.
- To prevent rotting, we need to varnish the edges.
4. Gokul Timbers Waterproof Plywoods 710
A Gurjan ply smooth board. Great for outdoor uses.
- The prices are much lower than other options.
- The thick layers allow it to be used in construction.
- A smooth and waterproof surface that can be decorated according to one’s creativity.
- Is not very resistant to heat.
- No warranty on how long can it last.
5. FTG BWP Wooden Plywood
An industrial style sheet for a plethora of applications.
- Has smooth front and back surfaces.
- Can withstand high heat and changing weather.
- The medium size makes it suitable for a lot of projects.
- It’s hard to cut through the thick layers.
- The edges need to be sanded down to avoid splinters.
6. Jain Ply and Hardware BWP A-Grade Plywood
Great for building new creations.
- It can endure through boiling water and heat.
- Glue protection to reduce the chances of rotting.
- Is resistant to moisture and high humidity.
- Extremely heavy at 50 kilograms per board.
- Very hard to cut through given the thickness.
7. Gold Plus Boiling Waterproof (BWP) Wooden Plywood
An Indian brand that provides one of the best products on the market.
- The layers can withstand all types of weather as marine plywood is used.
- A 25-year guarantee on its excellent quality.
- Has a Gurjan face, which means the top layer is very strong.
- The thickness and 13-ply technique amount to approximately 36 kilograms.
- A pretty penny for one board at ₹3590.
8. Akaar Kitply Vista Waterproof Wooden Plywoods
A thick board that is ISO certified for good quality.
- Fire-resistant which makes it a good material for kitchen uses.
- A 10-year warranty for the quality of the plywood.
- Comes in two different versions, MR plywood and BWR plywood.
- Is not completely waterproof.
- Paint or oil needs to be applied to cover the edges.
9. Plyneer Semi Waterproof Plywoods
A Gurjan board that gives a pop to anything it’s added to.
- Comes with a lifelong guarantee.
- Extremely strong and sturdy.
- A considerably lower cost compared to others.
- Semi waterproof which increases the chances of damage.
- Extremely hard to cut through and the exposed edges are viable for rotting.
10. FTG Boiling Waterproof (BWP) Wooden Plywoods
A perfect quare that is suitable for home and professional use.
- Smooth top and bottom layers.
- A medium thickness reduces the difficulty of cutting.
- The heat and water resistance give it bonus points.
- Warranty is not provided for the warping or breaking chances.
- The thick edges need sanding and varnish.
While going through quarantine, we might have noticed our interiors needed a replacement and waterproof plywood is just the one for the job. Have fun shopping and channel your inner artist. Hope this article was helpful for your endeavors.
- What type of plywood is waterproof?
The boiling waterproof plywood, boiling water-resistant plywood, and moisture-resistant plywood.
- Which is the best waterproof plywood?
The BWP (boiling waterproof plywood), also known as the marine plywood is the best option you can get for waterproof plywood.
- How much does waterproof plywood cost?
On average, different sizes and types of waterproof plywood could cost around ₹700 a sheet to ₹4000 per board.