Swimming goggles: which one to buy?
Why to get Swimming Goggles?
Types of Swimming Goggles
- Wide Water-Bodies Goggles
- Sporting Goggles
- Swedish Type Goggles
- Masking Goggles
- Fit and Comfort
- Goggle Supports
- Fog Repellence
How to take care of swimming goggles?
Best Swimming Goggles Features, Pros & Cons
- VIVA-200 Swimming Goggles
- Nivia 4088 Vulcan Swimming Goggles
- Cosco Aqua Dash Swimming Goggle
- Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swim Goggles
- Adidas V86948NS Swimming Goggles
- X J.X.N. Swimming goggles
- RAGE Aqua UV Shield Swimming Goggles
- Puma Swimming Regular Unisex Goggles
- AREO Swimming Goggles
- TYR Big Swimple Mirrored Goggles
- Arena Cobra Ultra Mirror Swim Goggles
- Speedo Futura Biofuse Swimming Goggles
- Neska Moda Pink Double Strap Unisex Silicon Goggles
- Aurion Swim Goggles
- Finis H2 Swimming Goggles
Why to get Swimming Goggles?
Swimming can be much more enjoyable if the right apparel is used in the process. Unlike most other sports, swimming demands only one key item; the goggles. In fact, if it were not inappropriate in most settings, the best swimmers would actually be naked. This would help to reduce weight and drag as they move about the water. The goggles, however, have a much more important role.
The body’s design, in general, is very responsive to the sense of sight. For any movement to be precise therefore, the swimmer has to have a sufficient sighting of his or her heading. This is of course not to say that it’s not possible to swim without sight. After all, there are quite efficient and fast swimming categories that are void of forwarding vision such as the backstroke. This category is even competed in during the international Olympic Games.
Non-competitive swimming happens to be the most common type of swimming there is. The swimming experience in this category is enhanced way more by the ability to actually see beneath the surface. Divers, for instance, would be less enthralled by the act if they didn’t get a chance to admire the sights. These include the waterbed species and coral reefs.
More importantly, perhaps, it enables divers to orient themselves on their surrounding for any lurking hindrances or threats. It is quite possible to see underwater without the use of goggles. However, the time that can be spent underwater with eyes wide open is quite limited. The clarity experienced is also very much distinguishable.
Swimming goggles usage:
There is however more to wearing swimming goggles than just a perfect underwater vision. The water that we swim in is rarely pure and uncontaminated. Contaminants include the chlorine which are means for treating pool water or the saltwater found in lakes and seas. These cause great discomfort to the eyes which will leave them looking bloodshot. If one intends to be among the company after the swim, perhaps looking like a drunkard is not the best idea. The sealing effects of the goggles, therefore, keep the eyes safe and unscathed.
Physical harm is also very much reality from contact with water plants like seaweed and other submerged objects. The eye, being so sensitive, can, therefore, be easily injured especially when swimming at a fast pace or diving. Goggles can easily prevent such mishaps. In addition, the population that wears prescription glasses may need specially made swimming goggles. These can rectify the same problem and make underwater vision as normal as the above-ground vision through the prescription lens.
Types of Swimming Goggles
Goggles can simply be classified based on their specific usages. The main types of goggles include;
Wide Water-Bodies Goggles
These goggles are meant for more expansive water bodies and are sometimes referred to like open water goggles. They have a panoramic effect to the wearer which allows a wider viewing range from side to side. This is achieved without necessarily much maneuvering. These goggles can also be classified as fun goggles and are common because of their comfort and leisurely design. Professional swimmers have however often noted that these goggles are less efficient when it comes to keeping the water out. However, they’re generally a favorite and can come with a wide variety of lens designs and colors.
These goggles are designed with speed and efficiency in the water as the main objective. They also feature much clearer material for the best clarity. In addition, they have specially molded form to fit comfortably on the eyes. The goggles can operate well at high speeds without experiencing any leaks.
Swedish Type Goggles
This type of goggles is mostly unique for its portable size. They are significantly smaller than regular swimming goggles that can be found anywhere else. The Swedish goggles feature a single unit design with less cushioning features which makes them a tad uncomfortable. The goggles, however, are quite sturdy and can be ideal in more polluted waters or for fast-paced swimming.
This type is a diver’s most prized possession. These goggles are designed to snugly insulate the diver from the elements deep within the water bodies. They therefore effectively extend the submerged period. They are however cumbersome as a result and hence not so practical for leisurely use. Other professions have however found them very useful in their operations. These include pool maintenance boat repair personnel although in retrospect they can be classified as divers just as well.
Swimming Goggles Buyer’s Guide
There’s quite a number of considerations that can help to determine the perfect swimming goggles for any use. The following factors are necessary to consider since they affect the user experience.
The lenses selected can easily alter the vision and make the glasses either comfortable or uncomfortable. For instance, having tinted lenses can help promote a better site in sunlit conditions like the beach. The clear lenses will make night-time swimming way more comfortable. Colored lenses have also been known to improve vision if they are made to suit the environmental conditions. UV lenses specifically designed to offer enhanced protection can also be crucial. This is especially true for sensitive eyes as well as for individuals who wear tinted prescription glasses or contacts.
Fit and Comfort
No matter how many cool features the goggles may possess, if they aren’t comfortable, they are definitely not worth it. Select the model that is a perfect fit for your face structure to ensure that it can’t cause any bruising during operation. The fit also ensures better sealing capabilities and prevents leakages into the eyes.
Most goggles utilize a strapping mechanism to attach them snugly on the face. The design of these straps, however, is very important in determining the comfort levels and efficiency. The best way to fully evaluate any pair would be to actually strap them on, however. Goggles that have multiple straps or broader single straps are more likely to provide the best comfort and sealing properties. This strapping or buckling mechanism should also be adjustable to ensure the greatest fit.
One of the worst things to happen during a swimming session is probably experiencing a blurred vision on the goggles. This is usually due to fog formation on the lenses. The proper goggles should be able to repel the formation of this fog. They must maintain a clear vision despite outside conditions otherwise they become useless and ineffective in most conditions.
The best goggles must provide customization features. These include nose mold adjustments or strap extension. The danger one-size-fits-all designs are not always a good choice. The moment a differently formed face uses the goggles, they will never fit the same on the original wearer.
How to take care of swimming goggles?
Just like any other possession, swimming goggles require diligent caring for. Without this, they will become inefficient within a short space of time. Proper care will not only extend the lifespan of the goggles but also retain their perfect vision and fitting characteristics.
- Avoid damage to the lens since it can lead to reduced visibility. Clean the goggles regularly using slightly warm water only.
- Maintain and replenish the anti-fog component using standard liquids designed specifically for the purpose. Alternatively, use mild shampoo mixed with warm water to help retain the anti-fogging capabilities.
- Needless to say, DON’T TOUCH the goggle lenses with your hands. This will lead to contamination of the anti-fogging film. It will also leave marks and scratches that will render the goggles useless with time.
- To prevent any damage from contact, use a specially made case for storing the goggles. When traveling to the water, it is always better to only wear the goggles just before entry. Avoid put ting them on early to circumvent damage risks.
- Keep the goggles out of extreme light even if they have UV protection. The sun can not only damage the integrity of the lenses but also weaken other fittings such as rubber straps.
- Finally, store the goggles only when they are fully dry to prevent any water damage. Remember not to rub with a cloth or wipe the lens to dry them. Rather, shake them up lightly and leave in a slightly sunny or shaded area. This will help to air dry for just a few minutes before storing properly.
The Best Swimming Goggles Features, Pros & Cons
1. VIVA-200 Swimming Goggles
- These Viva goggles are specifically designed for sporting activities and are well-loved by professionals.
- They come in a black, durable and stretchy frame which offers great fit and comfort to the wearer.
- The Viva Swimming goggles price is Rs 366
2. Nivia 4088 Vulcan Swimming Goggles
- These swimming goggles come in black.
- They feature a perfectly molded nose bridge designed to offer comfort and perfect streamlining for minimal water movement resistance.
- They have superior anti-fog capabilities plus UV protection all bundled up in a durable and attractive frame.
- Goggle material used is Silicone
- Comes with PC Lens.
- Adult swimming goggles best for regular swimmers.
3. Cosco Aqua Dash Swimming Goggle
- This particular variety comes in multiple ranges of colors.
- It features perfect vision lenses and a durable frame that can withstand any water onslaught without springing leakages.
- Anti-fog lenses twin color strap.
4. Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swim Goggles
- The Aqua design is for adults who need special UV protection and anti-fog characteristics.
- They allow the swimmer to have an enjoyable and comfortable experience.
- They come in a single-piece design.
5. Adidas V86948NS Swimming Goggles
- This legendary design is especially good for boys with an impressive adjustable nosepiece and a perfect fit.
- It offers extreme comfort and an impermeable water barrier.
6. X J.X.N. Swimming goggles
- This cool design by X.J.X.N comes with a cushioned gasket that promises an ultra-comfortable experience.
- It also features an adjustable strapping mechanism all wrapped up in a single black design.
- They are fully anti-fogging capable and UV protective.
7. RAGE Aqua UV Shield Swimming Goggles
- RAGE swimming goggles are top-notch when it comes to comfort and fit without compromising on the water retention capabilities.
- The design is both anti-fogging capable as well as stylish for any scene of choice.
8. Puma Swimming Regular Unisex Goggles
- This design is quite versatile and both genders can use them easily.
- The Puma goggles feature a comfortable design that sits snuggly on the face with zero leakages.
- The brand also provides total UV protection.
9. AREO Swimming Goggles
- These goggles were designed for men and can be worn both professionally and leisurely with ease and style.
- The design provides top-notch water sealing abilities and efficient sun blocking features.
10. TYR Big Swimple Mirrored Goggles
- The TYR design features a cool looking metallic silver finish on top of a comfortable design mold.
- It also has perfect water sealing features.
- The goggles provide an impressive peripheral view which is suitable for amateur divers and casual swimmers.
- The lenses have efficient anti-fogging abilities and a durable frame.
- LxWxH=12.54 cmx 2.54cmx5.50cm. Weight is 454gms with metallic silver color.
11. Arena Cobra Ultra Mirror Swim Goggles
- This design provides a comfortable experience with its cushioning and durable frame.
- The design comes in a wide range of colors that will definitely appeal to all tastes.
12. Speedo Futura Biofuse Swimming Goggles
- This model has a perfect training for both speed and efficiency.
- The design features a sturdy frame and watertight fit that is still extremely comfortable.
- It comes in an attractive blue or white color variation.
13. Neska Moda Pink Double Strap Unisex Silicon Goggles
- This design comes with free earplugs for ear protection.
- The model’s frame is both comfortable and water sealing to provide an amazing experience.
- They can also be worn across gender bounds who will experience the exhilaration of the sturdy silicon and anti-fogging design.
- LengthxWidth=10 cm x 5 cm. Weight is 100 Grams & material used is Silicon. Free size.
14. Aurion Swim Goggles
- The perfect UV protection and anti-fog abilities make this model stand out.
- It features a sturdy silicon frame and a very comfortable fit that is easy to adjust through a rubber strap to ensure perfect water sealing.
15. Finis H2 Swimming Goggles
- This design fits the younger generations between 4 to 13 years with a comfortable and snug fitting frame.
- This ensures that no water trickles in.
- The sturdy frame is silicon-based with cool anti-fogging abilities.
- Comes with an adjustable clip. Dimension – LxWxH-7.01 Inch x 2.99 inch x 2.01 inch.
- Goggle Weight is 454gms