Sunflower oil is considered to be rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids and is therefore deemed good for health. The use of cooking oils is very common in every home, especially in Asian households.
While people use different types of oils in their food, many don’t know which one is the best for health. It is therefore important for everyone to know what is good for health and what will cause a problem.
Due to eating the wrong or poor-quality oils, cholesterol, heart, and weight gain problems have become very common. There are 3 types of fatty acids are present in oil – monounsaturated fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and saturated fatty acids.
The presence of these fatty acids makes the oil good or bad for health. It contains monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids is good for health. This article is all about sunflower oil. Keep reading till the end if you are interested in knowing everything about it.
Top 10 Best Sunflower Oil Brands in India
Buyers Guide – Sunflower Oil
Oils are not great for health, but Indian cuisine is incomplete without the use of oil. So, it is important to choose cooking oil wisely.
- Many low-grade cooking oils are available in the market, be aware of that.
- Vegetable oils are not good for health, so go with organic oils.
- People use different oils for cooking, for example, coconut oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, olive oil, and clarified butter.
- Oils having saturated fatty acids are very bad for health.
- Vegetable oils contain a high amount of saturated fatty acids and cause heart problems and increase blood cholesterol.
- So, buy any cooking oil that has mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- You can choose any organic oil that we have mentioned above.
- The main thing is to develop taste for them.
Features of Sunflower Oil
Sunflower oil is prepared by compressing seeds of sunflowers and then passed through different processes to refine it.
- Modified sunflower oil contains oleic acids that increase the level of monounsaturated fatty acids in the oil.
- It is light in colour and is widely available in the market & it is usually tasteless.
- It contains about 69% of polyunsaturated fatty acids that makes it good for heart patients.
- And the best thing about it is that it can withstand high temperatures and doesn’t lose its nutrients.
- It contains many amino acids and nutrients.
- It is rich in nutrients and vitamin E.
- If you take only 1 spoon of oil, it will provide 28% of the nutrients that the body requires.
- It is also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids.
Types of Sunflower Oils
Researchers divide sunflower oil into different categories depending on the presence of varying percentages of poly and monounsaturated fatty acids.
So, It can be oleic oil and linoleic oil. Oleic sunflower further has two types that are mid-oleic sunflower and high-oleic sunflower oil.
Linoleic Sunflower Oil
- This oil contains essential fatty acids and has about 70% of the polyunsaturated fatty acid that is linoleic acid.
- It also contains 20% of monounsaturated fatty acids or oleic fatty acid.
- The remaining amount is of saturated fatty acids.
- This is the traditional sunflower oil but has less nutritional value as compared to oleic oil.
High-oleic Sunflower Oil
- This oil contains more than 80% of monounsaturated fatty acids.
- The remaining portion contains an equal quantity of polyunsaturated fatty acids and saturated fatty acids.
- It is commonly used in food products because it has a long shelf life and it doesn’t deteriorate.
- Also, it is tasteless so doesn’t destroy the taste of food.
Mid-oleic Sunflower Oil
- This oil is very common in Canada and the USA.
- It is available at a very reasonable price and is good for your health.
- Also, it contains 65% of oleic acid, 25% of linoleic acid or polyunsaturated fatty acids, and 10% of saturated fats.
- This is a very common cooking oil and due to the presence of oleic acid, its shelf life is also long.
How to use Sunflower Oil?
- Sunflower oil is used in daily cooking.
- You can use it for deep-frying, baking, making gravy, and parathas.
- It is burn resistant so if you use it at a high temperature, it will not lose its taste.
- It is therefore very safe to use in cooking.
- Also used for hair nourishment, you can also massage your hair with it.
List of Top 10 Sunflower Oils in India
In old times, people used to make ghee from milk or used butter. But it is difficult nowadays to make everything at home because of our busy lifestyles. So different brands have introduced different types of oils in the market.
1. Aadhar Refined Sunflower Oil
This Aadhar sunflower oil is very light to digest and contains vitamin E, vitamin D, and other minerals. It comes in a 1-liter pack and a 5-liter container. Aadhar Sunflower o
- Due to the presence of nutrients, it is very good for health and skin.
- It is a very affordable sunflower oil
- The quality of the oil is good and also has a good taste
- Many customers complained about the smell after heating it
- Also, many customers received leaked packages
2. Fortune Sunlite Refined Sunflower Oil:
This Fortune sunflower oil is also good and light. It has a minimal amount of saturated fats and a high amount of nutrients and vitamins. The shelf life of the oil is 9 months. You can buy it in 1-litre pack and 5-litre can.
- The taste of the food cooked in this oil is good
- It is a healthy oil
- Some consumers have reviewed that the original taste and smell is lost due to the refinery process
3. Dhara Sunflower Oil:
The Dhara refined sunflower oil has low absorption in food and is easy to digest. The oil also contains essential fatty acids and omega-6 that are important for the body.
- This oil is fortified and is rich in vitamins A, E, and D2.
- It is very clear and a good quality oil
- The oil also contains natural PUFA or polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- It is healthy and has a good taste and fragrance
- The packing of the oil is not good
4. Fortune Sunflower Oil:
This is the original Indian sunflower oil and is fortified with minerals. It is rich in vitamin E, so is good for the skin. It also helps in boosting the immune system and maintains the heart’s health.
- This oil absorbs less in food and cooks very light and easy-to-digest food.
- The quality of the oil is very good
- It doesn’t change the aroma of food
- Many customers complain about the bad packaging
5. 24Mantra Organic Sunflower Oil:
It is a very healthy Sunflower oil that has an Indian origin. The oil contains about 75% polyunsaturated fatty acids, so it is healthy for use in cooking.
- It is an odorless oil & also has a neutral taste, so it doesn’t affect the quality and taste of the food
- This is a healthy oil that is free from any chemicals but is rich in antioxidants.
- It is an organic oil so it is healthy
- It is slightly more expensive than other oils
6. Freedom Refined Sunflower Oil:
This is also an Indian-origin oil that is rich in vitamins A, D, and E. The quantity of saturated fatty acids is very less in this Freedom sunflower oil.
- This oil contains a mixture of linoleic fatty acids and oleic fatty acids.
- It is a good sunflower oil at a reasonable price
- The quality of the oil is good and light so is suitable for everyday cooking
- No negative reviews by existing customers
7. Mr. Gold Refined Sunflower:
It is a refined sunflower oil that you can easily use for cooking. It is rich in vitamins A and D.
- Mr. Gold’s sunflower oil enhances the taste of the food and also improves its health benefits.
- The taste of the oil is very natural so it doesn’t affect the taste of the food
- No negative reviews by existing customers
8. Sunrich Sunflower Oil:
This is a very lightweight oil rich in vitamins A and D. These qualities make it lighter and healthier.
- This is a good quality sunflower oil
- It has 15% less absorbance in foods as compared to other oils.
- The price is higher than other sunflower oils
9. 24 Mantra Organic Cold Pressed Sunflower Oil:
This is a pure organic sunflower oil that is free from chemicals, pesticides, and preservatives. The cold-compressed method is used for extracting oil
from the seeds so no heat treatment is done on them.
- This is a rich source of antioxidants and is safe for heart patients.
- It is free from trans-fats, cholesterol, and excessive saturated fatty acids.
- The quality & taste of the oil is good
- Many customers received open-seal bottles
10. Daana Organic, Cold-Pressed Safflower Oil:
This is purely made from organic methods so no chemicals are used in its manufacturing. Daana safflower oil is free from cholesterol and trans-fats.
It is healthy and is the best for use in baking and cooking. Also, it contains vitamins and oleic acid so it is good for skin nourishment. The shelf life of the oil is 210 days.
- This oil is prepared by cold pressing of safflower seeds in a kachi ghani.
- It is rich in antioxidants, linoleic acid, and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Also, it is very good to prevent heart problems
- The oil is light and gives a good taste to food
- The packaging bottle is of bad quality
Never compromise on your health. If vegetable oil is not good for health, don’t use it. Use alternative oil that contains unsaturated fatty acids.
Sunflower oil is very affordable and easily available in the market and online stores. We have compiled a list of top sunflower oils to help you choose the best.
What are the benefits of sunflower oil?
- Sunflower has monounsaturated fats that help improve heart health.
- Also, it controls the cholesterol level in the body.
- Vitamins A and E are present in sunflower oil that helps improve the skin’s texture.
- It contains unsaturated fats that help increase the energy level of the body.
- If you massage it on your hair, it will nourish your hair.
- Also, this oil improves the digestive system and immune system.
Is sunflower oil healthier than olive oil?
Both oils have unsaturated fatty acids and minerals, so both are good and healthy. But sunflower has a high amount of linoleic acid that makes it healthier.
Which oil is best for the heart?
The oil that contains a large amount of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids is the best for health. According to research, peanut oil has a large quantity of these fatty acids.
Which oil is bad for health?
Hydrogenated oils that contain a large amount of unsaturated fatty acids and trans-fats are not good for health. So, vanaspati ghee and vegetable oils are not good for health.
What is the best oil for high cholesterol?
Sunflower oil, canola oil, peanut oil, groundnut oil, corn oil, and olive oil are the best for lowering the bad cholesterol level.