Stihl chainsaws can be very useful for pruning trees. They can also work well in hewing firewood. Another area where a Stihl chainsaw can come in handy is that of felling trees. Further, you could find Stihl chainsaws to be useful tools in landscaping tasks. The Stihl chainsaws tend to be quite easy to operate. They also come with very detailed manuals, through which users can understand the best way to operate them. Because most Stihl chainsaws are ergonomically designed, they are user-friendly. And almost all of them come with warranties.
Finding spare parts for the Stihl chainsaws tends to be quite easy. That is because Stihl is a relatively popular chainsaws brand. Thus, many chainsaw spare part vendors stock Stihl chainsaw spares. Just as we have many vendors stocking Stihl chainsaws for sale, so do we have many stocking their spare parts. Furthermore, finding mechanics who know how to handle Stihl chainsaws is relatively easy.
Top 11 Best Stihl Chainsaws in India-Buyers Guide
Features of a Stihl Chainsaw
- One of the most important features of a chainsaw is the power rating.
- This is typically quoted in HP units.
- And in this regard, there are low-power Stihl chainsaws: as low as 1.6 HP.
- Then there are high-power Stihl chainsaws: as high as 8.7 HP. And there is everything in between.
- Another important feature in Stihl chainsaws is low weight.
- Most are designed to be as light as possible: meaning that the people operating them don’t tire too much.
- Yet another important feature in Stihl’s chainsaws is speed.
- Some Stihl chainsaws have a one-speed setting.
- Others have more than a one-speed setting.
- Most Stihl chainsaws are made from cast iron.
- This makes them potentially very durable.
Types of Stihl Chainsaws
- There are some Stihl chainsaws that are electric-powered (through corded electricity).
- Then there are those that use gasoline power/petrol.
- There are even some Stihl chainsaws that use gas.
- Some Stihl chainsaws are designed for professional use.
- Others are capable of being used by non-professional hewers after a short period of training.
- We have some Stihl chainsaws with very long chains (hence capable of felling even the thickest trees).
- Then there are Stihl chainsaws with shorter chains.
- The latter is more suitable for pruning tasks or for felling thinner trees.
How to Use a Stihl Chainsaw?
- The first step in using a Stihl chainsaw is usually that of pulling the starter rope.
- This has the effect of making the chainsaw engine start running.
- But before starting the engine, you will want to be sure that the chain has the right tension.
- You will also want to be sure that the chain is sharp enough.
- These are important for both good performance and safety.
- If everything is alright, pull the starter rope, to get the engine running.
- Once the Stihl chainsaw engine is running, press the trigger (or the throttle as may be the case).
- You do this to get the actual chain running.
- Now lay the chainsaw at the spot you wish to cut.
- Avoid applying pressure/forcing the chainsaw in.
- Yours is only to aim the saw at the spot you wish to cut.
- But do maintain a strong grip. Check the angle within which you are cutting, to ensure that the tree or branch doesn’t hurt you.
- Also, avoid the kickback effect.
- Once you are through with the cut, turn off the chainsaw.
- Be checking the engine oil and servicing the Stihl chainsaw regularly.
- Also, be sharpening and tensioning the chain regularly.
Buying guide for Stihl Chainsaw
- It is very important to ensure that what you purchase is actually a genuine Stihl chainsaw (and not an imitation).
- It is important to look at the warranty of the Stihl you buy. Go for one with a decent warranty.
- Further, ensure that the Stihl chainsaw you buy is powerful/long enough for the task(s) you have in mind.
- The Stihl brand has chainsaws for all ranges of tasks.
- Therefore, whatever the task you have at hand, you can find a Stihl chainsaw for it: if you search carefully.
- You also need to understand what typical Stihl chainsaw prices are like before you go out shopping.
- This way, you can avoid paying unnecessarily more for a Stihl chainsaw you could find at a lower price elsewhere.
List of Top 11 Best Stihl Chainsaws in India-Buyers Guide
1. Stihl Chain Saw MS-170 (Orange)
This Stihl chainsaw power rating is at 1.7 HP. The chain length is 16 inches: adequate for most basic applications.
- Very lightweight (at about 3.9 kg)
- Compact design for portability
- Uses gasoline efficiently
- Blade sharpening need is rather frequent
- Maybe incapable of felling very big trees
2. Stihl Chain Saw MS-180 (Orange)
With this chainsaw, you get a decent 2 HP power rating. It runs on gasoline.
- Made from cast iron (hence durable)
- Good warranty at 6 months
- Easy to operate
- Somewhat noisy machine
- Weight is 4.2 kg
3. Stihl Chain Saw MS-250 (with a 20-inch bar)
This is a cast-iron chainsaw, with a longer (20 inches) bar. It comes with a free chain sharpener.
- Capable of cutting through thicker trees
- Uses fuel efficiently
- Comes ready to use (complete with free chain sharpener)
- Relatively higher price
- Proper operation requires somewhat lengthy training
4. STIHL Petrol Chainsaw MS 180
This is another one of those chainsaws that come with complete sharpening kits. The guide bar is 16 inches.
- Reasonably powerful machine
- Easy to maintain
- Doesn’t make too much noise
- Instruction manual language may appear too technical for some
- Tensioning the chain requires some patience
5. BLUEBIRD STIHL MS 382 Chainsaw
This is one of the costlier but also more powerful chainsaws. It also has premium features for greater user-friendliness.
- Designed for durability
- Rather easy to operate
- Comes with a free sharpening kit
- Chainsaw is on the heavier side
- Price is relatively high
6. STIHL Cast Iron Chainsaw MS-210
This is a lightweight yet still quite a powerful machine. Good for both light-duty and mid-duty tasks.
- Highly portable (because of low 4 kg weight)
- Makes relatively little noise
- Quite easy to maintain
- Chain has 33 teeth
- Some may find the instruction manual too technical
7. STIHL CAST Petrol Chainsaw MS 170
As per industry standards, this chainsaw comes with a good sharpening kit. Its power rating is 1.7 HP.
- Relatively affordable machine
- Gas-powered (hence cheaper to run)
- Low weight (at only 3.9 kg)
- May not be capable of handling the heaviest cutting tasks
- Chain tensioning can be time-consuming
8. STIHL CAST Iron Petrol Chainsaw MS 210
The 20-inch guide bar in this chainsaw makes it suitable for heavier cutting tasks. It comes complete with a sharpening kit.
- The guide bar is 20 inches long
- Easy to start and easy to operate
- Has good working speed
- Petrol-powered (hence may be slightly costly to run)
- Makes a bit of noise while working
9. STIHL CAST Iron Petrol Chainsaw MS 250
This is another petrol-powered chainsaw. Its 18-inch guide bar makes it suitable for a wide range of tasks.
- Compact design for easy portability
- Chain is easy to sharpen and tension
- The design makes for great durability
- First time assembly requires patience
- User needs extensive training before use
10. STIHL CAST Iron Electric Chain Saw MSE 230
Here is one of the Stihl chainsaws that use electric power. With this, you get 2.3 kW power.
- Very quiet operation (being electric powered)
- Lightweight (hence user-friendly)
- Very easy to start
- Limited portability (on account of being electric powered)
- May be unable to handle very heavy-duty cutting tasks
11. STIHL CHAINSAW MS-382
This is one of the costlier chainsaws: but with features to justify the price. It is both powerful and quite easy to use after training.
- Decent safety features
- Designed for durability
- Compact design (which makes for easy portability)
- Relatively high price
- First time assembly can take a bit of time
Stihl chainsaws can make tree felling, pruning, landscaping, and firewood chopping tasks are easier. While shopping for a good Stihl chainsaw in India, you could benefit from the information given in this guide.
What model Stihl chainsaw is the best?
The best Stihl chainsaw model is one that is adequately powerful, easy to operate/maintain, and reasonably priced.
What are the prices of Stihl chainsaws?
Stihl chainsaw prices range from as low as 13,000 Indian Rupees to as high as 45,000 Indian Rupees.