A sports helmet is a type of protective equipment meant for wearing during games with head injury risk. So in case of an accident during such games, the sport helmet absorbs the impact, protecting the head. Games in which the helmets may be necessary include hockey, baseball, skateboarding and biking. Others are the likes of lacrosse and horse-riding. In many places, it is a legal requirement for people taking part in such games to wear sports helmets. But even where there is no legal compulsion, you may nonetheless see sense in buying one. That is for your own safety’s sake.
There are also scenarios in which schools sometimes require students to have sports helmets as part of sporting gear. Thus you may end up buying them for your kids on this account. Alternatively, if you run a sports club, you may buy the helmets on its behalf. There are also cases where people who are involved in organizing sporting tournaments sometimes have to buy them. In all cases, besides enhancing safety, sports helmets also make the wearers come across as professional, safety-conscious people.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Royal Enfield Helmet, Helmets for Men, Ladies Helmet, Royal Enfield Leg Guards, Himalayan accessories, Engine Guards, Bullet Accessories, Bike Handles, Bike Headlights, Bike Horns, Bike Chain Cleaners, Bike tools, paint spray cans, Bike Chain Sprays, Castrol Engine oil, Engine oils, Bike Engine oils, Shell Engine Oils, Synthetic engine oil, Gear Oils, Tyre Inflators, Tubeless Tyres, Bike gloves, Tubeless Tyre Puncture repair kits, car puncture repair kits, Bicycle Puncture repair Kits, Vaccum Pumps, Bike Tyres, Michelin Tyres, Ceat Tyres, MRF Tyres, MRF tubeless tyre for bikes, Jaguar Bikes, Bike seat covers, Bike covers, Bike mobile holders, bike mobile chargers, Mechanic tools, Safety Jackets, Anti-fog glasses, Cooling glasses, in India.
Top 7 Best Sports Helmets in India
Features of Sports Helmet
- One key feature of a sports helmet is the outer shell’s sturdiness. This is really the key determinant of the level of protection against impact. It in turn depends on the main material with which the outer shell is made. Further, it depends on the design of the outer shell.
- Another key feature of a sports helmet is the inner lining’s softness. From this, you can tell how much comfort the sports helmet will be offering the wearer. This is especially key for helmets to be worn for long stretches of time. Besides that, the inner lining also has a role when it comes to impact absorption in case of an accident.
- Yet another important feature of a sports helmet is the visor clarity. This tells us how well you will be able to see ahead while wearing it. In this regard, the best ones come with visors that don’t attract fog or scratches.
- Chin guard design is also a key feature in sports helmets as is the aesthetic appeal. Thus an ideal helmet should have an effective chin guard, as well as reasonable aesthetic appeal. Aesthetic appeal is especially key because once you put the helmet on, people see it first (rather than your face). So it should be reasonably attractive.
Types of Sports Helmets
- There are full-face sports helmets. Then there are half-face sports helmets. Also available are modular sport helmets.
- There are football helmets. Then there are batting helmets. Also available are equestrian helmets (for horse-riding sports), and motorcycle and bicycle helmets (for cycling sports). Further, there are those with special designs for skateboard sports.
- There are single-use sports helmets, which are pretty much disposable after usage. Then there are multi-use sports helmets, which are reusable many times.
Buying Guide for Sports Helmet
- The first consideration is the type of sport for which you are buying a helmet. This tells you which type of helmet to go for. Don’t, for instance, buy a football helmet for use in skateboarding, as it won’t be ideal.
- Whichever type you buy, be sure that it genuinely offers optimum head protection. To know how much protection it offers, look keenly at its outer shell material and design.
- Further, buy a sports helmet that is comfortable on your head. To know how comfortable the helmet is, first consider its size. Ensure that it is a smug fit, considering your head size. Also, ensure that the inner lining is not too rough on your head. Further, ensure that the interior lining material is not one that you may be allergic to.
- On yet another note, ensure that the sport helmet you buy is one that looks reasonably good. Remember, once you put the sports helmet on, it more or less becomes part of you. Therefore take care to ensure that it at least looks decent.
- With respect to the sports helmet price, don’t necessarily go for the cheapest. Instead, seek the best quality within the available budget.
How To Use Sports Helmet?
- The sports helmet serves the purpose of protecting the head from impact, in case of a sporting accident. You, therefore, need to put it on before venturing for a game/sport in which there is a head injury risk.
- Wearing the sport helmet usually just entails slipping it over the head. Then you strap it on. Thereafter, you lower the visor (if available), to protect the eyes as well.
- Since a lot of sweat goes into the helmet’s inner lining, it is important to be washing it regularly. The exterior also requires occasional cleaning, as it may get stains or scratches.
List of Top 7 Best Sports Helmets in India-Buyers Guide
1. Steelbird SBA-2ABS Matt Sports Helmet
This helmet comes with a gold color visor. It is ideal for use in motorcycling sports.
- The interior of this helmet is easily removable and washable
- In this helmet, the shell is made using high-impact ABS material
- This s a very stylish sport helmet (in terms of how it looks)
- It is quite heavy in terms of weight, at 1.32 kilos
- The visor may present challenges during night rides
2. Studds N4 Thunder Sport Helmet
What you get here are a hardy and highly protective motorcycling sport helmet. It comes with a polycarbonate visor.
- The outer part of this helmet does not get scratched easily
- It is aerodynamically designed
- It comes with a quick-release chin strap
- The interior liner may take some time to dry after washing
- Some may find this helmet’s 1.35 kg weight a bit high
3. TVS Helmet Sport Arc Helmet
This is a black extra-large (XL size) helmet. Its interior lining material is plush lycra.
- This is a relatively light (yet sturdy) sport helmet
- It comes with proper cheek foam to enhance the wearer’s comfort
- The visor on this helmet is watertight
- The chinstrap mechanism may initially be a little tricky to operate
- This helmet is mostly only ideal for use in motorcycle riding sports (not other uses)
4. SMK Stellar Sports Full FACE Helmet
What you get here is a very stylish helmet, with graffiti prints on its outer shell. It comes with a pin lock already fitted.
- The visor does not attract fog (hence better clarity)
- This helmet has a dual shell design, for full head protection
- The level of aesthetic appeal in this helmet is quite high
- The price for this sport helmet is not cheap
- This is quite a weighty sport helmet, at around 1.6 kg
5. 4U Supreme D3 Sports Helmet for Men
This is a full-face sport helmet. The outer shell is made from crafted ABS while the inner shell is made from polystyrene.
- The chin guard is movable
- This is a relatively lightweight sport helmet
- It has a bold and vibrant look
- Its elliptical shape design may take some time to get used to
- This helmet’s exterior may become a bit dull with time
6. Aura Marvel ABS Material Full Face Adult Helmets for Men and Women
This is an elegant, sturdy and optimally protective helmet. Ideal for use while riding various two-wheelers.
- The visor on it is scratch resistant
- It is easy to open and close (even while wearing gloves) thanks to its quick-release fastener
- The lining is super soft (hence nice to the wearer’s skin)
- The lining material requires washing often
- The lining is only partially removable
7. Full Face Sport Helmet for Motorbike
Comes with a thermoplastic and polyurethane outer shell, with an EPS liner. It has a full aerodynamic design.
- It has highly protective concussion padding
- The visor is not prone to scratches
- Removing and cleaning the liners for this helmet is quite easy
- The outer shell finish is unpainted (hence may look a bit dull to some)
- This helmet’s visor requires careful handling
A good quality sports helmet can offer substantial protection to your head in case of an accident. With the information in this guide, you are better empowered to shop for the best sports helmets in India.
Which are the best sports helmets?
The best sport helmet those that offer optimal impact protection to the head and are comfortable to wear.
What are the different types of sports helmets?
There are batting helmets, football helmets, equestrian helmets and skateboarding helmets, among others.
What is the cost of a sports helmet?
Sports helmet price ranges from 800 to as high as 4,000 Indian rupees depending on type and quality.