The spark plug is one of the most important parts of a vehicle. As its name suggests, the role of the spark plug is to produce a spark. That spark then ignites the air/fuel mixture in the engine. Subsequently, an explosion occurs within the engine. The explosion produces the power that subsequently runs your vehicle. This process repeats itself endlessly (while the engine is on) — to keep the vehicle running. Also check the buyers guide for air pumps, puncture kits, etc in India.
In the absence of a spark plug, there would be nothing to ignite the air/fuel mixture in the vehicle’s engine. And if the air/fuel mixture isn’t ignited, there is no explosion within the engine: meaning that no power is produced.
Top 10 Best Spark Plugs in India
Features of a Spark Plug
- One of the most important features of spark plugs is the insulator.
- This has an impact on thermal conductivity.
- It also affects the dielectric strength.
- Another important feature in spark plugs is the ground electrode.
- This can affect the plug’s safety and durability.
- Yet another important feature in a spark plus is the center electrode.
- This affects the plug’s overall performance.
- At a practical level, ideal spark plugs would have the correct gap and be easy to install.
- It should also be capable of supporting optimal engine performance.
Types of Spark Plugs
- There are four major types of spark plugs: iridium spark plugs, copper, pulstar spark plugs and platinum spark plugs.
- Iridium spark plugs tend to have better performance than platinum spark plugs, but not as good as pulstar spark plugs.
- Copper spark plugs are usually available at lower prices.
- But they may have poorer durability and somewhat poorer performance ratings.
How to use a spark plug?
- The first step is to ensure that the spark plug gap is correct.
- Some spark plugs allow you to adjust the gap.
- Others have gaps that are fixed at the factory level.
- For such spark plugs, it is impossible to adjust the gap.
- All in all, you need to avoid ending up with a spark plug gap that is too big.
- Such a big gap would mean that the electrodes are too far apart.
- Consequently, the spark would have difficulties moving from one end to the other.
- At best, that would lead to the engine running in a rough manner.
- At worse, it could lead to the engine not being able to run at all.
- So, first, ensure that the spark plugs gap is correct.
- The next step is to place the spark plugs into the hole meant for it on the engine block.
- Before doing this, you may consider cleaning the hole with a piece of cloth.
- You may also consider applying a little oil on the plug’s threads.
- Then slip it into the hole meant for it. Screw it in: taking care not to ruin the threads in the process.
- Finally, attach the spark plug’s cable, to complete the installation.
- Ensure that you change your spark plugs regularly to maintain good engine performance.
Buying guide for Spark Plug
- Ensure that the spark plugs you purchase are suitable for the vehicle you are purchasing them for. Carefully consider compatibility.
- Check the condition of the spark plug’s insulator and threads. Ensure neither the insulator nor the threads are broken.
- Go for spark plugs that come with the correct gap and are easy to install.
- Ultimately, you will have to choose between buying spark plugs from a local spare parts store and buying online.
- If you buy from a local store, you won’t have to wait for shipping: you get the plug right away.
- But you will probably pay more for it. Conversely, if you opt to purchase the spark plug online, you will probably find a lower price.
- But you will have to wait for shipping.
- Moreover, having opted to buy your spark plug online, you will have to wait for delivery to inspect it properly.
List of Top 10 Best Spark Plugs in India-Buyers Guide
1. Motorcraft Spark Plug SP546
What you get here are 8 individual plugs. They are brand new and ready for installation.
- Designed for durability
- Decent engine performance
- Comes with a 1-year replacement warranty
- Installation can be a painstaking process
- Spark plug gap is not easily adjustable
2. NGK Metal Spark Plugs
NGK metal plugs are high-performance iridium spark plugs. Also ideal for use on motorcycles.
- Plugs are quite easy to install
- Better performance than copper and platinum plugs (being iridium plugs)
- Threads are reasonably strong
- It May be incompatible with quite a number of vehicle types
- Plug life is quite modest
3. Denso Platinum TT Spark Plugs
The ground electrode here has titanium enhancement. Insulation too is of high quality.
- Capable of withstanding extreme stress
- Compatible with many vehicles
- Truly capable of improving fuel efficiency
- Installation is time-consuming
- Impact on acceleration rate is rather modest
4. NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs
What you get here is a platinum spark plug, with ceramic insulation. Has good heat transfer performance.
- Decent service life
- Good anti-fouling performance
- Better sparking capability thanks to copper spark plug (being a platinum plug)
- May require some pre-installation adjustment
- Plug threads are somewhat rather delicate
5. Champion Copper Small Engine Spark Plugs
The champion copper plug is a basic copper-based plug. Brand new and offers decent performance.
- Strong threads allow for faster installation
- Compatible with many vehicles
- Quite long-lasting
- Has very little impact on fuel economy
- The insulator is not particularly sturdy (but serves the purpose)
6. ACDelco Professional Iridium Spark Plugs
Here is another spark plug whose core material is iridium. Can help the user attain better fuel economy.
- Good fuel ignition performance
- Real-time elimination of carbon deposits on the tip
- Keeps engine stable when in idling mode
- Usage life is not particularly long
- Setting plug gap properly requires expertise
7. NIKAVI Iridium Spark Plugs
NIKAVI Iridium plug is compatible with quite a good number of engines. Designed for faster installation.
- Reasonably low price for an iridium spark plug
- Insulator is durable
- Threads are of good quality
- Connecting to the engine block requires care
- The anti-fouling effect is basic
8. BRISK Silver Racing Spark Plugs
What you get here is a truly high-performance plug, suitable even for racing purposes. Ideal for motorbike use.
- Near-perfect ignition effect
- Comes in ready-to-use form
- Has good effect on fuel economy as well
- It May not particularly durable
- May lack compatibility with many engine blocks
9. Kanak Brush Cutter Petrol Engine Spark Plug
Kanak Brushcutter is one of the most low-cost spark plugs. Suitable for use on 2-stroke petrol engines.
- Reasonably easy to insert
- Price is very affordable
- Offers decent durability
- Engine performance effect is modest
- Both the threads and insulator seem delicate
10. Cancanle Spark Plugs
The package has 2 spark plugs, ideal for Honda engines. Its price is still within reach for most people.
- Seems to boost fuel economy considerably
- Can be long-lasting plugs
- Installation is not too hard
- It May have many compatibility limitations
- Seems to have no proper warranty
The spark plug you put into your vehicle’s engine will have a huge impact on the engine’s performance. The information in this guide can help you in making a better spark plug choice.
What are the best spark plugs on the market?
The best spark plugs are those that have good ignition performance, positive effects on fuel economy, and durability.
What spark plug gives the most horsepower?
Typically, a spark plug whose electrodes are based on iridium or pulsar will give the most horsepower.
What is the price of the part plug?
A single spark plug can range from as low as 150 Indian rupees to as high as 1,200 Indian rupees.