A smart switch is a device that enables you to control your electrical appliances remotely, via your smartphone. You can use this sort of switch to control lights, ceiling fans, geysers, and washing machines, among other appliances. So you may turn them on or off through the switch. The switch also makes it possible for you to schedule tasks on your appliances. For instance, through it, you can get various tasks on a given appliance to be starting at a certain time.
Thus the smart switch is the interface between your electrical appliances and your smartphone. The switch is the link through which you get to control various appliances via the smartphone. It can even help with security enhancement. That is, for instance, turning off security lights on and off remotely (on time) even while away. In the absence of this sort of switch, you find that you have to control the electrical appliances manually. And that can be inconvenient, or even impractical in some cases.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Extension boards, Smart Plugs, smart switchboards, Spike guards, Timer Switch, Calling Bells, Video doorbells for Home, CP plus DVRs, Dome Camera, Bullet Cameras, IP Cameras, Hikvision DVRs, Hikvision CCTV Cameras, CCTV Cameras, IP Cameras, chandelier lights, decorative lights & wall lamps online.
Top 10 Best Smart Switches in India
Features of Smart Switch
- The number of appliances you can control at one time through the smart switch is a key feature. An ideal switch is one through which you can control many enough devices.
- The best switches even allow you to group devices, so that you can control them together.
- The maximum amperage for the devices you can control through the smart switch is another key feature.
- This tells you what sorts of appliances you can control with the switch, and which ones you can’t.
- Further, the switch’s maximum distance range is an important feature.
- So this is the distance between the switch and the appliances it is expected to control.
- If yours is a big compound with devices all over, you’d need a switch with a better maximum distance range.
- On another note, in a smart switch, the number and types of apps with which it is compatible matter.
Types of Smart Switches
- There are WiFi smart switches. Then there are Bluetooth smart switches.
- The WiFi smart switches connect to the appliances they control via WiFi technology and the Bluetooth smart switches connect to the devices they control via Bluetooth technology.
- Also available are WiFi + Bluetooth smart switches.
- There are smart switches that require internet hubs to work.
- Then there are smart switches that can work even with no hubs.
- We have 10-ampere smart switches. Then we have 16-ampere smart switches.
- Also available are some 5-ampere smart switches.
Buying Guide for Smart Switch
- The number and type of devices you wish to be controlled through the smart switch is the first consideration. Only buy a switch that is fit for purpose, given the number/type of devices you wish to be controlling.
- The type of smartphone with which you wish to be controlling devices is another key consideration. For instance, depending on if yours is an Android or iOS smartphone, some switches may not be viable to you.
- In all cases, only buy a smart switch that is easy to install and maintain. Some switches are known to be so hard to install that they take skilled electricians hours. It is best to avoid such difficult smart switches.
- Further, consider the smart switch price. The first step here is to try to understand what the smart switch type you wish to buy normally costs. Then use that as a baseline for differentiating a fair smart switch price from an unreasonable one.
How To Use Smart Switch?
- There are two main ways in which you can use smart switches.
- Firstly, you may use these switches to remotely turn appliances on or off. Thus while traveling, for instance, you can turn the security lights in your home on/off through the switch.
- Secondly, you may use these switches to schedule various tasks on appliances. For instance, through the switch, you may schedule the time at which your geyser is to start preparing water. That may be in sync with your waking up time: so that by your waking up time, water is ready.
- In installing the switch, you just connect the appropriate terminal to the power source. Then you connect the other terminal to the device you wish to be controlled via the switch. Thereafter you synchronize the connection with the app through which you will be controlling appliances.
List of Top 10 Best Smart Switches in India-Buyers Guide
1. Tinxy Smart Switches With Google and Alexa Compatibility
This is a 16 amps switch. Designed for wall mounting.
- Includes a timer for scheduling tasks
- Allows for connection with regular switches (for two-way switching)
- Comes with an easy-to-understand installation diagram
- Setting it up requires an electrician’s help
- This is a one-node switch
2. Sonoff Wifi Smart Switch for Google and Alexa Usage
Supports both Android and iOS. Ideal for use with lights, small motors as well as fans, among others.
- It has a high maximum range of 90 meters
- This is quite an easy-to-install switch
- Its timer can support up to 8 timing tasks
- Requires wifi router or hotspot
- Its replacement warranty is only for 10 days
3. Protium Smart Wireless WIFI Switch
This is a 16 amperes switch. It is suitable for working with both Alexa and Google.
- Allows for control via voice orders
- This switch also facilitates device grouping
- This switch requires no hub
- The price for this switch is relatively high
- IFTTT integration for this switch can initially be challenging
4. HomeMate Smart Switch Breaker Compatible with Google Home and Alexa
What you get here is a switch that works via both WiFi and Bluetooth. This is a 16 amperes switch.
- This is a sturdy and hence easy handle switch
- Installation for this switch is easy
- The switch activates immediately
- To use it, you have to download the Home Mate app
- May go offline at times when the network fluctuates
5. Okos Smart Switch With Google, IFTTT, and Alexa Compatibility
This is a 10 amperes switch. Works with 2.4G Wi-fi.
- This switch can control a wide range of appliances
- It is one of the most affordable smart switches
- This switch accepts voice commands
- The switch won’t work with big devices above 10 amperes
- Installing this switch may require skilled personnel
6. Smarteefi Standard Size Wifi Smart Switch
What you get here is a switch that is built from polycarbonate material. It is compatible with Alexa.
- This switch has a notification facility
- Allows different people to control the same device via their respective smart-phones
- It is a big enough (16 amperes) switch
- Some may initially struggle with the workings of its loop timer and delay timer functions
- Distance range within which this switch works may be a bit modest for some
7. Robocraze Sonoff Wifi (Wireless) Smart Switch
This is an Android and iOS-supported switch. The current rating for it is 10 amperes.
- It allows for very easy scheduling
- Works with both Google Assistant and Alexa as per expectations
- This switch is not very hard to install
- Its 10 amperes current rating may be a bit low for some people’s needs
- The switch may not work well with a 5 GHz wifi router
8. SiSAH 2 LED Smart Mirror Touch Switch
This is a wall-mounted switch. Very ideal for hotel bathroom use.
- This switch has a dimmer function
- The price for this switch is not very high
- This switch is not hard to install
- The load power limit for this switch is 36 watts
- Some may find the switch’s size too small
9. TEQOOZ 4-Switch (Wi-Fi + Bluetooth) With Glass Finish
This switch works with Apple Siri, on top of Alexa and Google Home apps. Controls up to 4 appliances.
- You can control this switch through voice commands
- Adds to the aesthetic appeal of the room it is mounted in(as it has a glass finish)
- It comes with reliable timing and scheduling functions
- This switch is relatively costly
- You need a skilled electrician’s help for the installation of this sort of switch
10. Tata Power EZ (2 Channel) Wifi Smart Switch for Home Use
For this switch, the current rating is 5A. It fully automates the functioning of various appliances.
- Using this switch requires no new wiring
- This is a voice-activated switch
- It can control 2 electrical points
- The current rating (at 5A) may be a bit low for some appliances
- This is not a cheap switch (with regard to price)
A proper smart switch can greatly enhance convenience in your life. Use this guide while shopping for the best smart switches for various uses in India.
What is a smart switch used for?
It is mainly for controlling appliances remotely through a smartphone.
Which is the best smart switch?
One with a high enough current rating, whose features are reliable, is easy to install and durable.
How do I install a smart switch?
Normally, the switch comes with an installation diagram, which guides you through the process.