Did you know that rugby balls were formally known as “quanco”? This ball was originally made from a pig’s bladder. Nowadays, they are from synthetic rubber and polyester. The rubber and polyester give it a nice shape and enhance its grip. You all know the oval rugby ball, but its original shape was plum-like. Through the growth of rugby, they improved their shape for ease of playing. The largest supplier of rugby balls in India is Jalandhar-based Chopra. Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Footballs, Cork balls, Cricket Balls, cricket bats and balls, Cricket kookaburra Balls, Badminton Rackets, Soft toys, Cricket Pads, Cricket Kits, Green Mats, Green Nets, Stumper Balls, Volley Ball Nets, Exercise balls, and cricket bats in India.
Top 10 Best Rugby Balls in India-Buyers Guide
Features of Rugby Ball
- The shape of the ball. Most people assume that all rugby balls are oval. But not all of them are oval enough. It depends on the producers.
- The ball’s weight. The ball should be light enough. Rugby involves carrying the ball and if it is heavy, it will strain the players. The ball should weigh at least 400 grams.
- The material of the ball. In the early days, the rugby ball was made of brown leather. The quality was good but it had poor visibility.
- Nowadays, The balls are from synthetic rubber with nice bright colors and patterns. This allows the fans to see the ball.
Types of Rugby Balls
Gilbert Rugby Match Balls
This ball is ideal for matching purposes. It is built with a lot of synthetic rubber to enhance grip and flight performance. This ball is suitable for players and rugby clubs. However, it is expensive.
Training balls are ideal for vigorous training sessions. They are made to withstand harsh games and exercises. Most of these balls are water resistant. They suit all-weather conditions.
These balls are perfect for display as well as light games. If you need a ball for your children to play with at home, this is the ideal one. They have different designs for visibility. They are great for families to create memories.
How To Use Rugby Ball?
- Rugby professional players are trained to use this ball. Here is a basic guide on how to use it.
- Firstly, hold the ball with your fingers. Then spread the fingers across the ball to improve the grip. Your chest facing forward with your elbows bent.
- Alert the other players in your team close to you. Prepare to pass the ball. Then swing your hands through an arc with your elbows close to your body.
- Finally, release the ball with your fingers pointing towards the target with your chest high in front of the receiver.
Buying Guide for Rugby Ball
- When buying rugby balls, consider the material, the shape, and the type of rugby ball.
- The material should be of great quality to last for a long time. Synthetic rubber and polyester are the best materials for making rugby balls. The best shape of a rugby ball is oval. This shape increases performance and grip.
- Are you buying the ball for display, a match, a training session, or for your children? Consider all these factors to buy a ball that suits your needs.
- The last factor to consider is price. Buy a ball that fits your budget and satisfies your needs.
List of Top 10 Best Rugby Balls in India-Buyers Guide
1. Gilbert England International Replica Rugby Ball- Size 5
This ball weighs 299 grams with a synthetic latex bladder. It is ideal for display, practice, and training sessions.
- This replica ball is ideal for presents.
- The ball has high quality. It is from synthetic rubber and polyester.
- It’s high-quality allows it to last for a long time.
- It is prone to damage, especially if it comes in contact with sharp objects like knives.
- The ball does not retain air for long.
2. Le Buckle Rugby Balls
This second ball is most suitable for adults. It weighs 200 grams which makes it easy to carry.
- Le Buckle rugby ball has a high-quality inflatable bladder that retains the air.
- This rugby ball has a high-end rubber skin o increase durability.
- It has hand-stitched seams, which enhance its consistent grip.
- Some customers complain of a small inflatable bladder.
- Some balls come in with holes. They cannot hold in air.
3. Belco Sports RUGSTAR 3Ply Rugby Ball-Size 5
In third place, is this brand with water-resistant balls. This ball is hand stitched with cotton and polyester backing.
- Belco rugby balls are long-lasting.
- They are water-resistant. They are great for all weather.
- They have quality seams to enhance grip.
- Some customers complain that the ball in the images is not what they receive.
- Other customers complain the balls are not functional.
4. Pro Impact Training Rugby Balls
Pro Impact rugby balls are suitable for adults and youths. It is ideal for display as well as training and friendly matches.
- The material of this ball increases its durability.
- The ball has strong seams that ensure a steady grip.
- It has a heavy-duty latex bladder which prevents loss of air.
- A few customers complain of holes in the balls.
- Some suppliers sell fake balls.
5. Cosco Rugby Ball-550 Grams
Cosco rugby balls are great for display. They come with an inflation needle.
- You pay upon delivery. This saves customers from scammers.
- It has a steady grip.
- The ball is of high-quality material that enhances durability.
- Some customers find the price too expensive.
- The rubber material has a foul smell.
6. Amazon Brand- Solimo Rugby Balls
This sixth ball is suitable for all weather. Its material is polyester and it is ideal for kids.
- The ball’s skin is made of rubber and has machine-stitched seams which improve grip.
- The ball has a polyester and rubber lining for durability.
- Its latex bladder keeps in the air for a long time and boosts the ball’s bouncing capacity.
- It is a bit costly for some customers.
- The ball does not come with an inflation needle.
7. JJ Jonex Rugby Balls- 300 Grams
JJ Jonex is a size 5 ball with a 240mm diameter. It is of synthetic rubber, cotton, and polyester.
- The ball is ideal for training and display.
- The ball has a quality bladder that keeps it in the air for long-term use.
- The seams allow for a steady and consistent grip.
- The ball does not come with a pump and has a foul smell.
- Its price is too high for some customers.
8. XPEED Extreme Rugby Balls
It is a size 5 ball that weighs 500 grams. This ball is incredible for matches.
- The ball is heavy which makes it ideal for matches.
- It has a hand-stitched seam with waxed threads to increase water resistance.
- XPEED Extreme rugby balls are made with 4 rubber pieces in oval shape for long-term use.
- Some customers complain of air leaks.
- Others are complaining about the ball’s shape.
9. HRS Club Rugby Ball
This is the second last ball that is suitable for professional rugby. Its material is a synthetic rubber with layers of polyester.
- It has a firm grip.
- Its oval shape gives it stability and boosts performance.
- The ball is long-lasting.
- Some customers find the threading poorly done.
- The surface of the ball is hard for some customers.
10. Spinway Rugby Ball
This ball is lightweight and thus good for practicing and warm-ups. It is easy to carry and use.
- Spinway rugby ball is water-resistant.
- Its high-end synthetic rubber skin makes it long-lasting.
- It has 3 ply laminate bladder to prevent air loss.
- Some customers complain of faulty balls.
- The ball is so expensive. It costs 790 rupees.
There are many types of rugby balls with different features and prices. First, find a reason for buying a rugby ball. There are ideal balls for each purpose. The ball is suitable for display, training, and matches. Consider the above rugby ball brands when going rugby ball shopping. I hope this guide will be helpful.
What is the ball in rugby called?
The rugby ball was earlier called “quanco” due to its odd shape.
What size is a regular rugby ball?
Most of the rugby balls are a size 5 with a length of 420mm, a perimeter of 880 mm, and a circumference of 1140mm.
What is the price of a regular rugby ball?
The price of a regular rugby ball ranges from 189 to 799 Indian Rupees.