Rooting hormone is a product used to facilitate plant propagation. Plant propagation is a popular way of making new plants by cutting stems, roots, or leaves of plants. The use of rooting hormones is one of the best ways to make new plants that would be 100% similar to the parent plant. When a portion of the parent plant is taken to grow a new plant, it is known as “plant cutting”.
It acts as a fertilizer or plant booster, stimulating the growth and development of the plant. When it is utilized in plant propagation, the roots of the plant develop quickly as well as grow into a high-quality, strong, and high-yielding plant. Rooting hormones also increase the fruit or flower yield of the plant.
Best 10 Rooting Hormones Available Online in India
Features to keep in mind while choosing a rooting hormone
One of the most common and productive features of the rooting hormone is that it makes plant propagation of difficult plants an easier task.
- Many plants tend to root independently, but difficult plants do not grow at all.
- It helps in the growth and development of difficult plants.
- Also, plants that tend to easily propagate do grow into larger plants but their roots are not strong.
- It helps to strengthen the roots of both types of plants. It comes in various forms.
- The powder form of the rooting hormone is the easiest type to work with.
Types of Rooting Hormones
There are many types of rooting hormones that come in different forms.
Liquid Rooting Hormones
Liquid rooting hormones are considered one of the most effective root hormones. It comes in a ready-to-use form.
Powder Rooting Hormones
This is the most common form of rooting hormone. They are popular because they do not require any refrigeration, therefore, are long-lasting.
Gel Rooting Hormones
The gel rooting hormone is the most common root hormone for indoor gardeners. It offers higher coverage and thickness to the root/stem/leaf cutting. However, it cannot compete with the versatility of the liquid and powder forms of the root hormone.
If you are an eco-conscious consumer and prefer organic alternatives, you can opt for honey and willow extracts rooting hormones.
Best rooting hormones-Buyer’s guide
- There are many things you need to keep in mind before purchasing a rooting hormone.
First of all, you must consider the type of the rooting hormone you want to opt for – whether you want liquid, gel, powder, or an organic alternative.
- Different products must be inspected and researched before finalizing your decision.
- You must check what ingredients were used to make the product.
- Most manufacturers list out the components and also the various benefits of the rooting hormone.
- The product offering benefits such as an increase in root volume, stimulation of root creation, increase of the nutrient content in the plant, helping plant in remaining green,etc., should work the best.
- The rooting hormone you choose should offer value for money and must be easy-to-use.
- Also, make sure you choose the product that is right for the plants you wish to propagate.
- For instance, some rooting hormones are not suitable for flowering plants.
- So, it’s best to read the contents, instructions, and also product reviews if you can.
How does a rooting hormone work?
Just as hormones govern and regulate the chemical processes in the human body, the same way hormones work, govern and regulate the growth and development in plants.
- Rooting hormone is used to increase the success rate of the propagation of plants.
- Auxins are plant hormones that promote the formation of roots.
- It consists of natural auxins or artificial/synthetic compounds.
- These compounds are available in different forms such as powder, gel, or solid.
- The natural auxins or artificial compounds are applied to the clippings of the plants to stimulate the growth of the plant during the propagation period.
- The Root hormones take up to 3-4 weeks usually.
- However, some plants can take longer to grow and develop.
- It not only work as a stimulant for root growth they also act as antifungal agents for the protection of freshly cut stems.
Top 10 Rooting Hormones to Buy Online in India
1. GardenSafe TakeRoot Rooting Hormone
This rooting hormone aids in strengthening the roots of the plants. take root rooting hormone helps in growing favourites like roses, African violets, woody ornamentals, and other greenhouse varieties.
- It is a powdered rooting hormone
- Contains a natural active ingredient – Indole-3-Butyric Acid
- Ideal for homes, greenhouse, and gardens
2. CocoGarden Cocopeat Block Rooting Hormone
CocoGardenCocopeat Block is made of natural ingredients and acts as a powerful stimulant for the growth and development of plants.
- It acts fast on the plant by retaining moisture, storing, and releasing nutrients over an extended period
- Works best for horticultural and agricultural activities
- Weighs around 4.5kg making it a lightweight and ideal stimulant for the growth of stronger roots
- Complicated using instructions
3. TrustBasket COCOPEAT Block
TrustBasket Cocopeat Block enriches your soil. It is made from coconut husk. One block expands to almost 75 litres.
- It can be used as a substitute for soil, making it suitable for a kitchen or terrace garden
- Tends to retain 70% moisture
- May cause skin or eye irritation when safety precautions are not taken
4. Cocogarden Cocopeat Brick Rooting Hormone
This is one of the most efficient and effective rooting hormones. It is made of coconut. It works efficiently on any type of plant.
- It can be used in both horticultural and agricultural activities
- Enhances plant growth by retaining moisture for an extended period
- Helps in keeping the plant aerated, thus enhancing the development and growth of the plants
- Overdose of the rooting hormone can adversely damage the cutting
5. BLOOMBUDDY Organic Growth Booster
BloomBuddy promises to increase the number of flowers in your plant. It is a 100% organic rooting hormone. BloomBuddy Organic Growth Booster is also certified by Control Union.
- It acts as a protective layer against the pests
- Tends to improve the yield of the plant – increasing the number of flowers and fruits on the plants.
- Provides trace, macro, and micronutrients to the soil
- If the rooting hormone does not suit the soil, it can make it toxic
6. Divine Tree Fast Roots Rooting Hormone
This is one of the most productive rooting hormones in the market. This easy-to-use product enhances plant growth and nutrition.
- Can be used on a variety of plants
- Can be used all year round
- The plant will lack genetic diversity
7. MahaGro® All-Purpose Premium Potting Mix
This is a premium-quality all-purpose potting mix rooting hormone. MahaGro is renowned for its natural ingredients, long shelf life, and pure quality.
- 100% organic fertilizer
- It is four times more effective in strengthening plant roots
- It is a clean, odourless, and lightweight root hormone
- Reduces the growth of insects, pests, and soil-borne diseases in the soil
- This hormone too mushy, so it does not provide a stable platform for your plants to grow
8. Kraft Seeds Compressed CocoPeat Block, 5Kg
One block of this ideal plant grower expands to up to 75 litres. It is a premium-quality rooting hormone, which offers absolute nutritional support to the plants.
- It helps in the improvement of the soil so that the plant can experience sustainable growth
- Increases the germination rate of the sown seeds
- It is a ready-to-use mix
- Many consumers have complained about the packaging of the product
9. Perlite Rooting Hormone
Perlite is a high-quality organic rooting hormone. It provides the perfect moisture and aeration to your plants.
- It is the best soilless medium for gardening in your kitchen and terrace
- When Perlite is added into the water, it weighs less and improves aeration and drainage
- Perlite is used for hydroponics systems worldwide
- Some consumers have complained that it does not last long
10. SHEHRI KISAAN® Root GRO Dry Powder Rooting Hormone
This is a fast-acting hormone for professionals and home-based growers. It has a high-performance rate.
- It enriches the plants with a full spectrum of mineral nutrients
- Nourishes the young roots in their developmental and formative stages
- These suits the needs of both professional nursery gardeners and hobbyists
- Some consumers have complained it does not work well
Hope the above list of Rooting hormones & its pros/cons really helps you decide best rooting hormone which works for your garden or crops.
1. What can I use instead of rooting hormones?
You can use homemade rooting hormones such as aloe vera, cinnamon, vinegar, or willow water.
2. How do you make rooting hormones?
Here is how you can make it:
- Boil two cups of water.
- Add organic honey.
- Mix them well and let them cool down.
- Dip the plant cutting and go on with the propagation process.
3. Is the rooting hormone necessary for cuttings?
Yes. It increases the chances of your plant taking root. The root grows quickly and becomes stronger.
4. Is aspirin a rooting hormone?
Yes. Aspirin is an effective plant root hormone. In a gallon of water, dissolve an aspirin. Then, dip the cuttings in it. This promotes the growth of the plants.
5. Is honey, cinnamon and aloe a rooting hormone?
Yes. Honey, cinnamon & aloe is an organic rooting hormone.
6. What is a natural rooting hormone?
There are few natural rooting hormones. They are cinnamon powder, aloe vera, willow water, and vinegar.
7. What is the best medium for rooting cuttings?
Vermiculite, perlite, and pumice are the best mediums for rooting cuttings.
8. How do you encourage the roots to grow from cuttings?
It used to grow the roots from cuttings.