A rechargeable emergency light is a perfect product to come to your rescue during such situations. Why because power cuts are common in India. You should prefer lights which provide backup time in excess of this.
Some of the important indicators for a long battery backup time are- a type of bulb used, type of battery, charging type, and size of the lamp.
The current article provides key considerations while buying them and reviews some of the best rechargeable emergency lights in the Indian market. Also, check the buyer’s guide of the best 10 LED torch lights.
Best 5 Rechargeable Emergency Lights in India
Buyers Guide – Rechargeable Emergency Light
Rechargeable emergency lights help you stay protected from being vulnerable during power cuts. There are many different types of emergency lights with varying features which generally becomes difficult for the customers to understand.
You should consider the following factors for buying rechargeable emergency lights:
Battery Backup Time:
- The first and foremost thing which you should consider while buying a rechargeable emergency light is the battery backup time it will provide.
- The ability of the emergency light to keep your home lighted is its most important feature.
- Indian homes can experience sudden power cuts which can extend for long hours.
- If you experience such situations regularly, then you should try to buy rechargeable emergency lights with the highest battery backup time.
- When the emergency light fully charged, it should provide you light at full brightness without fluctuations until its battery lasts.
- The average backup time for emergency lights in India varies from 4-8 hours.
- The emergency light should be of good build quality.
- While cheap plastic made lights can be cheaper, you need to consider their longevity as they can break very easily if dropped. In such cases, you will have to buy a new lamp which will be costlier.
- You can consider other alternatives like metal emergency lights or sturdy plastic body which will ensure durability and longevity of the device.
- You can check the build quality by trying to bend the plastic. Good quality plastic will bend only slightly.
- Plastic which bends too much is of low quality and which does not bend at all is brittle and both of these plastic build emergency lights should be avoided.
- Emergency lights can be required to be used outside the comfort of your home also. You can carry it along for excursions and outdoor adventure trips.
- In such cases, you should ensure that the emergency light being purchased is made of waterproof material. Such lights are waterproof can function effectively underwater also.
- Waterproof lights should have a tough and compact exterior that should not allow any water to enter inside the body which can otherwise damage it.
- No internal machinery or circuitry should be exposed outside of the emergency light for preventing water-related damages.
Brightness and Light Source:
- The next important consideration after the battery backup time for emergency lights is its brightness and light source.
- The type of bulb used is the major deciding factor for the brightness of the rechargeable emergency light.
- In addition to being bright, the bulb should ideally consume less power which prevents it from getting burned or damaged easily.
- You should always choose emergency lights that have LED bulbs instead of filament bulbs. LED bulbs have high intensity, consume nominal power, don’t get heated up, have a longer lifespan, and come in a wide variety of colors.
- In addition to the brightness, you should also consider its power consumption.
- The rate of power consumption is important for the proper functioning of the bulb.
Charging and Power Sources:
- You should check the charging options available with the emergency lights. Some of them support only AC power for charging while others have the option of solar charging too.
- The greater the number of charging options for an emergency light, the more utility it has.
- Some emergency lights also combine the USB charging option which is great in case there is no other charging alternative available.
- These lamps can be plugged into the USB port of your laptop or computer for charging.
- You should consider those rechargeable emergency lights which offer you the maximum number of charging options.
Auto Charging and Auto Start
- Auto charging and auto start are very handy features to have in an emergency light.
- You may have kept the emergency light in someplace and during a power cut, you can find it difficult to locate it for turning it on.
- The auto-charging and auto-start feature comes to your rescue in such situations.
- You can keep the emergency lights plugged in for charging and it will turn on automatically as soon as there is a power cut.
- With this unique and helpful feature, you get rid of the hassles of repeatedly charging and locating the emergency light for switching it on during a power cut.
Battery Charging Time:
- Battery charging time is another critical factor to consider while buying a rechargeable emergency light.
- A good lamp will give you 10-12 hours of battery backup time when fully charged.
- However, if it takes 12 hours of charging time to do so, then it’s of very limited use.
- Any rechargeable emergency light which has a battery backup time of 10-15 hours should not have charging time which exceeds 9-10 hours.
- It is of no use having an emergency light and not being able to use it during power cuts due to its long battery charging time.
Overcharge and Over-Discharge Protection
- It is easy for you to keep your rechargeable emergency light plugged in for charging and forget switching it off when it is completely recharged.
- Similarly, you may not turn it off when it gets discharged beyond a point while using it. In both these situations, chances that your emergency light damaged due to overcharge and over-discharge.
- Emergency lights which come with overcharge and over-discharge protection feature help you to overcome this problem.
- It automatically switches on/off the emergency lights when it gets overcharged or over-discharged, thus protecting them from related damage.
- This feature also helps to increase the battery life of the light.
- Warranty of emergency light to be checked before buying it. Most of the rechargeable emergency lights come with some form of manufacturer warranty.
- You should inquire about the same from the dealer before making the purchase decision.
- It helps you to overcome any problems which arise in the emergency light during the warranty period.
- You should check if the warranty is onsite or offsite and prefer an onsite warranty.
- It is also important to check any exclusions from warranty or difference in warranty coverage of specific parts.
- Warranty is also an indicator that the emergency light is of good quality and worthy of being bought.
Other Utility Features
- In addition to the above-mentioned features, you should also check for other utility features in a rechargeable emergency light before purchasing it.
- Some emergency lights come with a clock that tells you the time.
- You should check if the clock is water-resistant and whether you are able to see the time in the dark or not.
- A small handle that allows you to hold and carry the emergency light from one place to another is also a handy addition that increases its utility.
Solar vs Rechargeable Emergency Lights
Solar lights are popular especially in rural parts of India as there is a paucity of power to even recharge the regular emergency lights. These lights can be easily recharged using sunlight which is abundant in India. Considering the utility, it provides, most of the rechargeable emergency lights these days coming with the solar charging option also.
Environment Concerns Over Using Rechargeable Emergency Lights
While rechargeable emergency lights provide relief from power cuts, they are also known to have some negative impact on the environment.
- Most of these emergency lights use LED bulbs which can cause light pollution. In addition to harming the environment,
- LED bulbs emit light from the short-wave, high-energy blue and violet end of the visible light spectrum.
- Also, LED bulbs can also impact human health negatively.
- This light range controls our sleep cycle and regular exposure to it can affect your sleeping patterns and habits.
- Continued exposure of the retina and eye lens to LED light can lead to cataract and age-related macular degeneration.
List of Top 5 Rechargeable Emergency Lights in the Market
Some emergency lights also come with a focus light feature which allows you to focus the light into a single point. There are many options for rechargeable emergency lights in the market.
You can consider buying anyone from the below-mentioned list:
1. Wipro Coral Rechargeable Emergency Light n Yellow:
This rechargeable emergency light from Wipro is a reliable and quality product that comes loaded with the following key features. The LED lights provided have a long lifespan of 50,000 hours. It comes with 1-year of warranty.
- Wipro Rechargeable Emergency Light made with very efficient 84 LED pieces & these have a longer lifespan also quickly turn on or off.
- It comes with an overcharge protection feature that stops power supply to the light when completely charged to avoid overcharging.
- Also, this emergency light comes with a foldable hook for easy usage.
- You can also control the brightness and intensity of the lights by using the rotary switch.
- This emergency light provides a uniform 360-degree illumination in your room.
- It takes 8-10 hours to completely charge the battery from low battery status.
2. Philips Ojas Rechargeable Emergency Light LED Lantern:
This brand Philips is a known and reputed brand for home appliances in the Indian market. And this brand offers more than 127 years of trust and is very popular in India. The emergency light comes with a 6-months manufacturer warranty
- Philips Rechargeable Emergency Light made with 30 LED bulbs in the emergency section and one 6-watt bulb in the torch section.
- It comes with overcharge protection and deep discharge feature also.
- This can turn on automatically during power cuts which makes it a handy and utility emergency light in the market.
- The build quality could have been better and the product can break if it is accidentally dropped from a certain height.
- It works on a lithium-ion battery & you can use it as a torch also.
- This light takes around 8 hours for full charging & can provide a backup of nearly 4 hours.
3. Wipro Amber Rechargeable Emergency Light LED Lantern:
This rechargeable emergency LED lantern is from the Wipro brand. It will require 6-8 hours of charging for a full charge. And it comes with the below-mentioned features.
- Wipro Amber Rechargeable Emergency Light made with 36 pieces of LED bulbs and a 3000mAh powerful battery.
- It comes with an overcharge and deep discharge protection which also ensures better battery life.
- Also, it comes with a comfortable handle on the top makes it easier to carry this rechargeable emergency LED lantern.
- The build quality is good as it is made of polycarbonate which can withstand rugged use and provide durability.
- You can expect to get 1.5 hours of battery backup in strong mode and 20 hours in dim mode.
- The modes changed using a control knob which allows you maximum efficiency.
4. Eveready Portable Emergency Rechargeable Lantern HL-52 in Red:
The Eveready HL52 rechargeable home light is a lightweight and compact product. This rechargeable home light comes with a 6-months warranty.
- Eveready Rechargeable Emergency Light outer body made of high-quality plastic which is very durable and nearly maintenance-free.
- It comes with an auto-start feature which ensures that it is automatically switched on during a power cut.
- This light fitted with 39 LED bulbs that emit strong light during power cuts.
- It provides 15 hours of non-stop battery backup which is excellent compared to similar products in the market.
- The ergonomic handle on the top makes this product easier to use.
- It can rotate 360 degrees in any direction to provide light in different directions.
5. Qualimate Portable Rechargeable Emergency Light Plastic 714:
This is a basic yet effective rechargeable emergency light & it comes with useful features like good battery, light control switch, etc.
- Qualitative Rechargeable Emergency Light made with 42 LED bulbs for providing strong illumination during power cuts.
- It comes with good battery backup time as the battery made of lead-acid and has 2,400mAh of power.
- The light adjusted between high light and dim modes using a control switch.
- But one drawback of this product is that the power cord length is short.
After concise and detailed research, we have given a lengthy but helpful explanation of the rechargeable emergency lights brand, features, types, how it works, and the buying guide. We have taken so much time to write this article.
So we can limit the time it will take you to look for a rechargeable emergency light brand that suits your need. Identify your needs, know your budget, read about different dryers here, and make your decision.