A pressure cooker is a specially designed vessel which facilitates the fast cooking of food under steam pressure. It is a sealed vessel, which traps steam, creating pressure and making higher cooking temperatures possible. Using this type of cooker, you can reduce the amount of time needed to cook various types of foods. It is especially useful when it comes to cooking foods that require boiling. But it can also help with the cooking of foods that require steaming and sautéing. People often purchase this type of cooker for use at home.
Besides making it possible to cook foods faster, it also makes neat cooking a possibility. This is because the sealed design of the pressure cooker ensures that it is not messy. On another note, this type of cooker also tends to cook foods very evenly. That is because it operates at very high temperatures, thus cooking the food in a very thorough manner.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for Electric Rice Cookers, Electric kettles, Microwave ovens, OTG Ovens, Induction stoves, Electric stoves, Electric Tandoors, Electric Lunch boxes, Egg boilers, Pizza Makers in India.
Top 10 Best Pressure Cookers in India-Buyers Guide
Features of Pressure Cooker
- One very important feature of a pressure cooker is its capacity. They normally quote the cooker’s capacity in litre units. It tells you how much food you can cook in it.
- Another key feature in a pressure cooker is the safety valve design. This allows for releasing of excess pressure so that the vessel never becomes unsafe at any point.
- Yet another key feature in this type of cooker is the base width. This often has an impact on the speed with which the cooker works.
- Corrosion resistance is also an important feature of a pressure cooker. The last thing you want is a cooker that rusts and makes the food prepared in it unsafe.
Types of Pressure Cookers
- There are pressure cookers that come with automatic operation modes. Then there are those that only come with the manual operation mode. We also have others with both manual and automatic operation modes.
- There are low-capacity pressure cookers: in the 1-litre to the 2-litre capacity range.
- Then there are higher capacity ones – some of which even reach 7.5-litre capacity and more.
- We have gas stovetop-compatible pressure cookers.
- Then we have others that can only be used on electric (induction) cooking systems.
Buying Guide for Pressure Cooker
- The first question to ask yourself is how much food you will be typically cooking on the pressure cooker. From this, you can work out what cooker capacity would be good enough for your needs.
- The next question to ask yourself is what heat source is available to you. If, for instance, you use gas heat, you would need to buy a gas stovetop-compatible cooker.
- Regarding the pressure cooker price, ensure that it is reasonable: considering the cooker’s capacity and features. Also ensure that the pressure cooker price is reasonable, given the prices at which comparable cookers are being sold.
- Also, be sure that the cooker you buy is one that is easy to operate.
- Further, only buy a cooker with proper safety features. At the very least, be sure that the cooker you buy has an optimally working valve and plug.
How to use a Pressure Cooker?
- The pressure cooker is a sealed vessel. As such, when the water inside the cooker boils, the resultant steam is trapped. This trapped steam in turn creates a high level of pressure. And the high-pressure level hastens cooking. So the cooking takes less time that it would do if done normally.
- The heat with which the pressure cooker works may be from mains electricity or it may be from the gas system.
- Some modern cookers come with automatic programs for cooking various types of foods. Thus when you put the food in the cooker and select the right program, the cooker does the rest. It may even have a screen through which you can monitor cooking progress.
- Once cooking is complete, the cooker releases the pressure that had built up. It releases the excess pressure until it is at par with atmospheric pressure. Usually, the cooker has a safety lock. That lock ensures that you can’t open the cooker until the built-up pressure is fully released.
List of Top 10 Best Pressure Cookers in India-Buyers Guide
1. Hawkins Contura Aluminium Pressure Cooker
Hawkins cooker capacity is 1.5 litres. It is gas stovetop compatible.
- This cooker does not corrode
- The body is curved, making food stirring easier
- The price for this cooker is quite low
- It requires manual control by hand
- Some may find this cooker’s 1.5-litre capacity a bit low
2. Instant Pot Duo Plus60 Pressure Cooker
What you get here is a 9-in-1 multifunctional cooker. It is made of stainless steel.
- Comes with an easy-to-use steam-release switch
- Includes a cooking progress indicator
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- May take some time to build up adequate pressure
- The price for this cooker may look a bit high to some
3. Prestige Nakshatra Plus Svachh Pressure Cooker
The prestige cooker’s capacity is 3 litres. The cooker includes a spillage control feature.
- This cooker has a long (5-year) warranty
- It is not a messy cooker (thanks to its spillage control feature)
- This is both a gas and induction-compatible cooker
- The shape may make handling a bit tricky for some
- This cooker’s base is made of aluminium
4. Geek Robocook Zeta Electric Pressure Cooker
This is a versatile intelligent cooker. Its capacity is 5 litres.
- This is an easy-to-clean cooker
- It is programmable
- The cooker is designed for easy handling
- The price for this cooker may be a bit high for some
- It may not be possible to use this cooker on a gas stovetop
5. Pigeon by Stovekraft Deluxe Aluminium Pressure Cookers
What you get here is a high-capacity (7.5 litres) cooker. A pigeon cooker is a dishwasher-safe cooker.
- This cooker comes with a highly effective safety valve
- The capacity for this cooker (at 7.5 litres) is adequate for most families needs
- The price for this cooker is quite low, given its capacity
- The body may tend to dent quite easily
- It only works in manual mode
6. Butterfly Cordial Non-Induction Pressure Cookers
The butterfly cooker is a simple but efficient aluminium cooker. It is based on an outer lid design.
- It allows for easy regulation of cooking steam pressure
- Does not affect the cooked food’s taste or odour
- It is convenient to use, with its ergonomic design
- The handle may sometimes loosen
- This is a relatively small cooker
7. Summit Outer Lid Supreme Pressure Cookers
The capacity for this cooker is 1 litre. The material used in making it is aluminium.
- This is one of the most affordable pressure cookers, in terms of price
- It comes with a cool touch handle
- The gasket in this cooker is made from food-grade rubber that doesn’t affect taste, odour or colour
- The 1-litre capacity may appear too modest for some people’s needs
- This cooker’s handle may be a bit fragile
8. Lifelong Pressure Cooker With Outer Lid
This is an ergonomically designed modern cooker. It is made from virgin aluminium.
- It is both gas stovetop and induction compatible
- The price for this particular cooker is not too high
- It comes with a fairly good user manual
- The cooker’s handle may break if too roughly handled
- Since it is an aluminium cooker, it may be more prone to staining
9. Amazon Brand Solimo Pressure Cookers
Available in 2 and 3-litre capacities. The main material used in making these cookers is aluminium.
- This is a fully dishwasher-safe cooker
- The cooker comes with a precision weight valve, besides a metallic plug for safety
- The warranty for this cooker runs for 5 years
- Some may find it too light in weight
- The bottom section may appear a bit thin
10. Kuvings Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cookers
The capacity for this cooker is 6 litres. It comes with an inner pot made of stainless steel.
- Comes with 14 cooking programs
- Includes a highly accurate cooking progress indicator (on the LCD screen)
- Not prone to staining easily
- Its 5-year warranty is only on the heating element
- This is a relatively delicate cooker, with some electronic functions
A good quality pressure cooker makes it possible for you to prepare your food fast and in a neat manner. While shopping for the best pressure cookers in India, you may find the info in this guide helpful.
Which brand of pressure cooker is best?
The best pressure cooker brands include Hawkins, Butterfly, Summit, Lifelong and Kuvings.
What can a pressure cooker do?
It can cook food at fast speeds, due to the steam pressure it traps.
What is the cost of a pressure cooker?
Pressure cooker price ranges from 900 to as much as 7,000 Indian rupees.