Phulkari embroidery is meant to add beauty and elegance to clothing fabrics. People employ it in fabrics that are in turn used in making clothing items for special occasions, such as weddings. It can also be employed in fabrics that are used to make clothing accessories for day-to-day draping. A common use for it is in making dupattas. Yet another common area for its usage is in gift item fabrics. In all cases, it usually has great beauty and elegance. Whether it takes the form of flower patterns, geometric shapes, or motifs, there is great beauty in it. What the makers do is take some sort of base cloth first. Then they embroider it with certain well-thought-out patterns. The material with which they do the embroidery may be some beautiful thread, often one with glittering golden looks.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best 7 sewing machines, Merritt Sewing Machines, Sewing Machine Tables, Electric Sewing Machines, Singer Sewing Machines, Usha Sewing Machines, Singer Sewing Machines, Inch Tapes, Sewing machine motors, Measuring Tapes in India.
Top 10 Best Phulkari Embroideries in India
Features of Phulkari Embroidery
- There are four key features that draw people to Phulkari embroidery, namely its symmetry, intensity, durability, and uniqueness.
- Whether it comes in the form of flowers, motifs, or geometric patterns, it tends to have great symmetry all through. The symmetry in turn yields great elegance, which is the first thing that strikes you when you look.
- Further, it usually has great intensity: on account of its colors and the nature of the patterns making it up. It may be loud or quiet intensity. This is what makes it ideal for usage in items like dupattas which often need to be highly visible.
- The durability is on account of the base and embroidery materials as well as the techniques. It is not uncommon to find a Phulkari embroidered dupatta that still looks good after decades.
- Uniqueness is on account of the fact that Phulkari embroidery tends to have an outstanding look, unmistakable for anything else.
Types of Phulkari Embroideries
- There is hand-crafted Phulkari embroidery. Then there is the machine-crafted type. People often consider hand-crafted to be classier than machine crafted. But the hand crafted can be costlier. On the other hand, the machine-crafted type tends to be cheaper, but often less classy.
- There is a flower pattern in Phulkari embroidery. Then there is that which features motifs. We also have that which features geometrical shapes. Traditionally, the art was about flower patterns (hence its name, which is of Punjabi origin). But later on, there was the entry of motifs and geometric shapes into the craft.
- There is Phulkari embroidery which appears on traditional clothing items. Then there is what appears in modern clothing items.
- We have Phulkari embroidery that is done on real chiffon base fabric. Then there is that which is done on faux chiffon base fabric.
Buying Guide for Phulkari Embroidery
- The first question to ask yourself is what you need the Phulkari embroidery for. This will then tell you which form of it is best for that need. For instance, if it is for a wedding dupatta, it may need a golden theme. But if it is for a day to day wearing, it may need a less intense theme.
- Check the base material on which the Phulkari embroidery is present. However good the embroidery may be, if the base material is poor, it won’t serve you well. So check the base material.
- Check the embroidery itself: the type of thread it is using, its weight, and the technique.
- Go a step further, and consider the Phulkari embroidery price. Assess the quality of the base material, as well as the quality of the embroidery. Compare that to the Phulkari embroidery price tag, to see whether the whole thing is value for money.
How To Use Phulkari Embroidery?
- You may use Phulkari embroidered clothing accessories for special events, such as weddings. Or you may use them for day-to-day wearing.
- Normally, there will be certain clothing items that match nicely with the said accessories. So yours is to identify which clothing items match well with them. Then only wear them along those.
- If the Phulkari embroidered accessory is a dupatta, all you have to do is drape it over your shoulder. But there is a right way for doing this, in order to get just the right look.
- Take note that the Phulkari embroidered items may need special care, so as not to mess up with the wok. For instance, some may require dry cleaning, as opposed to hand washing. This is in order to protect the integrity of the embroidery.
List of Top 10 Best Phulkari Embroideries in India
1. SWI Embroidered Phulkari Chiffon Dupatta for Women
The length is 2.3 meters. The patterns are mostly geometric.
- The threads used are feather soft
- The 3-meter fabric length is likely to be enough for most people’s needs
- Suitable for wearing with both traditional and modern ensembles
- The colors here are rather bold
- The finishing could be a little better
2. Shasmi Heavy Maroon Colour Net Phulkari Embroidered Women’s Dupatta
Comes mostly with floral patterns. The length is 2.2 meters.
- Suitable for wearing pretty much in all settings
- The colors here are not too loud
- The price is quite low
- Some may find net material too light
- There are some outfits for which it may not be a perfect match
3. Weavers Villa Heavy Phulkari Embroidery Dupatta for Women
The material is 20% nylon along with 80% chiffon. The length is 2.25 meters.
- It has a good color mix
- Suitable also for gifting
- Matches well with a very wide range of other main outfits
- It has quite rigid geometric patterns (some may prefer flower patterns)
- Requires special care so as not to mess it up
4. Tweedle Off-White hand embroidery women’s phulkari dupattas
The size is 2.25 meters by 1.1 meters. The pattern is largely a motif.
- Uses the top quality wool thread to make the patterns
- Comes with a lace border finish
- Weight is just right
- There may be some sketch marks on it
- Some may find the colors rather too cool
5. Dupatta Bazaar Women’s Phulkari Embroidery Dupatta
The main material is chiffon. The size is 90 by 39 inches.
- It has a good lightweight
- Comes with gold borders
- The dupatta is rather soft
- Maybe a bit conspicuous for some occasions wearing
- Some may find the length a bit modest
6. Women’s Embroidered Punjabi Phulkari Dupatta
This is a classic chiffon item. The length is 2.25 meters.
- It is neither too light nor too heavy
- The base material’s red color glows nicely
- Comes with a high-quality lace border
- Some threads may look a bit loose
- The patterns are quite bold and loud (which may be quite an issue for some people)
7. Radha Madhav Enterprise Embroidery Phulkari Dupatta for Women
What you get here is a free-size dupatta. The color is yellow.
- It is rather soft
- The weight is nice (rather light)
- Price should be within pretty much every person’s reach
- Draping on both shoulders may prove hard (since the length is quite modest)
- In colder weather, it may not add much warmth
8. DIAMO Zari Embroidery Phulkari Dupattas
What you get here is a pack of 2. The length for each is 2.2 meters.
- Made using top quality chiffon (hence likely to last long)
- The colors are quite lively
- Suitable for wearing along almost all common types of women’s outfits
- The fabrics are quite delicate
- Patterns are a bit basic
9. Shilpkriti Embroidery Women’s Punjabi Phulkari Dupatta
This is a hand-crafted dupatta. Length stands at 2.2 meters.
- The colors are cool, hence also ideal for day-to-day wear
- 2-meter length allows for proper draping (even on both shoulders)
- Ideal for pairing with a very wide range of main clothing
- May become slightly dull with time
- The motif theme may at first be hard to figure out
10. Weavers Villa Punjabi Hand Embroidery Phulkari Dupatta
The material is faux chiffon. The length is 2.25 meters.
- It has a trendy stylish look
- The price is low (since the material is faux chiffon)
- Weight is not too heavy
- Some may find the color a bit dark
- The faux chiffon can be quite delicate
A good quality Phulkari embroidery drape can give you a nice classy look. This guide should be helpful to you when you are shopping for the best Phulkari embroidery dupattas in India.
Which fabric is used in Phulkari?
In most cases, it may be either real chiffon or faux chiffon.
How many types of Phulkari are there?
Presently in Punjabi, there are three broad types.
What is the cost of the Phulkari?
Phulkari embroidery price (for a dupatta) mostly falls between 290 and 1500 Indian rupees.