Mustard oil comes from mustard seeds. The mustard seeds are pressed, giving rise to the oil. This oil can then be used in various forms of cooking. For instance, using mustard oil, it is possible to add an exotic touch to curries. One can also use it to fry or sauté all other sorts of dishes. The oil is usually rich in omega-3 and omega-6, which means that using it can enhance immunity.
Further, the oil is rich in vitamin A, which is essential for proper eyesight. At yet another level, this type of oil tends to be cholesterol-free, which translates to better heart health. Externally, one can use it for body and hair massage. Also check the buyer guide for the best Fenugreek Oil, Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil, Cold-Pressed oils & sunflower oils in India.
Top 10 Best Mustard Oil in India
Features of Mustard Oil
- An important feature of oil is its aroma. This determines how the foods prepared using it will smell.
- Another important feature of this type of oil is purity.
- The best products in this regard are those made from pressed mustard seeds, with nothing else added.
- Yet another important feature in seed oil is its shelf life.
- You can get insight into shelf life by checking the oil’s date of manufacture against the expiry date.
- In this regard, oil whose date of manufacture is nearer (and date of expiry further) is the best.
- Of course, the taste of oil matters too.
- Authentic oil that comes from mustard seeds has a certain defining taste, which is very hard to fake.
Types of Mustard Oils
- There are three major types of mustard oil, namely grade 1, refined, and grade 2.
- The Grade 1 oil comes directly from mustard seeds.
- The seeds undergo pressing, with the resultant oil being tapped and bottled directly in raw form (without refinement/artificial processing).
- The refined oil similarly comes from seeds.
- But the oil that comes from the press is made to undergo sieving and other refinement processes, before packaging.
- The grade 2 oil is usually not food grade.
- But it is suitable for use as a therapeutic product.
- It is made under less ideal conditions than both grade 1 and refined oils.
How to use Mustard Oil?
- There are three major ways in which you can use mustard seed oil.
- The first approach is where you use the oil in frying various dishes.
- So you first apply the oil to the pan, wait for it to heat up, then add other necessary ingredients.
- The second approach is where you sauté various dishes with the oil.
- Here, you apply the oil to a shallow pan over high temperatures, with other ingredients.
- The third approach is where you use the oil in massage.
- It could be a whole-body massage, a massage of a particular part of the body, or a hair massage.
Buying guide for Mustard Oil
- What you need to focus on, while shopping for mustard oil, is to get oil with a high degree of purity.
- Ensure that what you ultimately buy is oil that comes from mustard seeds, ideally without adulteration.
- Consider the packaging of the oil. Ensure that it is hygienic.
- Also, ensure that it is the sort of packaging that doesn’t allow air bubbles to enter the oil.
- Check whether or not the oil contains an anti-foaming agent.
- Most people find mustard seed oil without an anti-foaming agent to be better.
- Ensure that the oil you buy is one that was pressed not too long ago.
- Also, ensure that it is oil whose expiry date is still reasonably far.
List of Top 10 Best Mustard Oil in India Buyers Guide
1. Fortune Premium Kachi Ghani Oil
Fortune oil is sold in a 1-liter bottle. It comes in PET packaging.
- Price is within almost everyone’s reach
- It is cholesterol-free
- Has good omega-3 and omega-6 content
- PET packaging may sometimes leak
- May occasionally produce bubbles on heating
2. Dhara Kachhi Ghani Oil
Dhara kachhi oil in this case has pouch packaging (rather than a bottle). Volume is 1 liter.
- Has rich vitamin A and D2 content
- Incorporates low absorb technology
- Price is relatively low
- Some may find pouch packaging uninspiring
- Oil may appear somewhat very sticky and thick
3. Dabur Cold Pressed Oil
Dabur oil Comes in a neat 1-liter bottle. Very rich in omega-3 and omega-6.
- Is a product of the cold pressing process (which tends to be superior)
- Packaging is of very high quality
- Has high degree of purity
- Some may find smell/aroma somewhat underwhelming
- Price is relatively high
4. Patanjali 1 liter Oil
Patanjali oil has an authentic mustard seed oil aroma. The taste also seems to be classic.
- Price is on the lower side
- The bottle packaging is airproof
- Versatile oil, which is suitable for use in many things
- Some may find the color to be slightly different from what one would expect
- One bottle is open for the first time, may thereafter be prone to spilling
5. Nature Fresh Kachi Ghani Mustard Bottle
Nature fresh kachi oil Comes in a standard plastic bottle. The aroma and taste are authentic mustard seed oil.
- Product of fully mechanized process (hence untouched by hand)
- The smoking point is higher
- Its price is reasonable
- Density may look somewhat low
- The bottle has very modest information on the proper use of the oil
6. Daana Single Origin Organic Oil
Here is another 1-liter package of mustard seed oil. It is a premium quality product, at a premium price.
- Genuine organic oil
- Has undergone processing (hence is truly natural)
- Suitable for use in both cooking and massage
- Relatively high price
- Some may find packaging too basic, especially given the price
7. Natureland Organics Kachhi Ghani Pure Oil
Available in a 1-liter bottle. The oil has undergone filtration, hence is ‘cleaner’.
- The product seems to be pure, genuine mustard oil seed
- Has undergone filtration, therefore safer to use
- Packaging is of decent quality
- Price is somewhat high for 1-liter mustard seed oil
- Some may find its aroma to be somewhat underwhelming
8. Organic India 750 ml Oil
The product here is reasonably clean, organic mustard seed oil. It is in a 750 ml bottle, with classic packaging.
- The oil has an unmistakable aroma
- Seems to be relatively clean, compared to other similar oils
- The bottle is made from glass, hence better hygiene and safety
- Quantity is only 750 ml
- Price is higher for the given quantity
9. Engine Brand Kachi Ghani Oil
What you get here is a full liter (2.16-pound weight) mustard seed oil. This oil is of grade 1 standard.
- The aroma seems to be excellent
- Bottle not prone to spillage even after first time opening
- The oil can be used for a wide variety of things
- Price is manifestly higher than average
- A slight sedimentation effect may be seen after a while
10. 24 Mantra Organic Pressed Oil
24 Mantra organic oil’s strongest selling point is in being genuinely organic. The bottle is of 1-liter volume and the vendor says it is 100% pure.
- Oil has undergone double filtration
- The oil is truly raw (without industrial refinement)
- It is a product of expeller pressing process
- Some may find the price to be expensive
- The fact that it has no artificial colors means that it looks too ‘basic’ to some buyers
Using good quality mustard oil can give you numerous health benefits within a short period of time. This guide has information to help you select an ideal mustard oil product within India.
What is mustard oil good for?
It can be used for frying, sautéing, massage, and hair care, among other things.
What is the best mustard oil?
The best mustard oil is that which is pure (unadulterated), with a good taste and good aroma.
What is the price range of mustard oil?
The price range for a 1-liter bottle is from 175 Indian rupees to 450 Indian rupees.