A microphone (mic) stand is an important tool for people who use mics either for live shows or studio recordings. A mic stand is a functional tool that not only gives the user a professional look but also helps the musicians or orator perform freely.
A musician cannot play an instrument and hold the mic at the same time. Similarly, if someone is giving a speech or delivering a lecture, it will be difficult for them to hold the mic all the time. It is therefore practical to invest in a mic stand. Also, check the buyers Guide for Best Cordless Microphone, Best wireless microphone and Best Karaoke mic in India.
If you are in the market for a mic stand and don’t know where to begin, then you are in the right place. This article will tell you everything you need to know about mic stands and hopefully help you choose the right one.
Top 10 Best mic stand in India
Features to keep in mind while choosing a mic stand
All the mic stands will have these common features.
- The microphone stand has a long pole or tube-like portion which is used to adjust the height of the stand. This, of course, depends on the type of stand. If it is a straight stand, then mic can be attached here otherwise there can be a booming present.
- Most mic stands have an adjustable height. You can twist the clutch in the pole portion to adjust the height. This portion has a sort of handle or a plastic or rubber cuff.
- A boom is present at the top of the stand if the stand is a boom stand. This will increase the height horizontally. This can be moved to different sides to bring it closer to different instruments.
- The other end of the stand is attached to a base that may be a tripod or solid base that is round in shape.
- Clamps or boom angle adjustments are present with screws that are used to adjust the height and angle of a mic stand. It has a nut, a bracelet, a bolt, and 2 pads.
Types of mic stands
There are different types of mic stands depending upon the height and purpose of use. These are:
This is the most common type of microphone stand that is used worldwide. The height of this mic stand is adjustable and the adjustments clips are present at the base of the boom section. These are very useful stands because you can use them for multiple purposes – from stage performances to recordings at the studio. They also occupy less space.
Tripod Boom stands
These are also like the tripod sands but the difference is that they have a separate arm. The arm allows the mic to reach different heights and angles. These stands may be tripod and round based. Boom stands are multipurpose and can be used by different people and also can be used for lower musical instruments.
Round base stands
These are simple straight stands with a round base. These stands have a strong grip and occupy a small space so they are the best for live stage performances. You can attach wired or wireless mics to it. Some of the round base stands also have wheels to make it easy to move during the performance.
These mic stands are short and are used for low seating purposes like for kicking drums, guitar cabs, and speaker cabinets. If you don’t need the tall and long boom mic stand then this is the best option for you.
Desktop stands or desk stands
This mic stand is for the people who record or do streaming or podcasting while sitting or standing near a desk or a rostrum. They place it on the desk and do their work. These mic stands are not very tall and only suitable to be placed on a desk. These stands are also adjustable at any angle.
These are an expensive, large, and more professional type of mic stand. Overhead stands are used in places where mics are needed on heights and different angles like where overhead drums are used.
Best mic stand Buying Guide
Most people presume choosing a mic stand will be easy, but it really isn’t. You have to consider many things including your mic type and its weight. Here are a few things you should look out for before buying a mic stand.
- The first thing to check is its compatibility with your mic. Check the model of your mic and then buy a mic stand. Some mic stands are compatible with different mics, but it is best to cross-check and make sure it is also suitable for your mic.
- Check the height range of a mic stand. It should be adjustable to your height requirement regardless of whether you use it while standing or sitting.
- The base is also very important because it will give support and stability to the mic.
- Check the weight of a mic stand. It must not be very heavy making it difficult to carry, and neither should it be too lightweight that it does not stand properly. Check the portability of a mic stand. Some stands also have tyres, so if you buy a heavy stand then consider ones with tyres.
Top 10 Best Mic Stands in India
1. Wright WP 101 POP filter with WR-35 Mic Stand
This is an excellent pop filter that comes with a mic stand. This is a multi-functional pop filter that is great for video chatting, recording, broadcasting, and personal studios. It has a double mesh that helps in the reduction of noise and prevents the mic from saliva. It is very lightweight and metallic. You can use this filter with a dynamic, condenser, or wired microphones.
- The fibre quality of the filter is great
- The parts are flexible and easily adjustable
- It filters the sound very efficiently
- The stand is of bad quality and cannot bear the weight of a microphone or condenser
- The clamps and the nuts of the stand don’t fix well
2. Kadence dual Mic Stand
The height of this tubular mic stand is 27.1 to 48.4 inches. It is a good quality mic stand weighing 1.4kg. It is a dual-mic stand that can hold 2 mics at a time.
- The build quality of the Kadence dual microphone stand is very good
- It is very stable
- It is light in weight and easily portable
- It cannot hold heavy mics
- The quality of the stand is not good
3. Powerpak MS-1001 3 Leg Boom Mic Stand (Black)
If you are looking for a multipurpose mic stand for your recording studio or stage then Powerpak MS-1001 3 is one of the best options for you. It is an adjustable mic stand having a height of 90 to 148 centimetres. It also has a 30-inch boom, which makes it more flexible.
- It has an adjustable arm that can be adjusted to different angles and heights
- It has 2 types of holders to hold the mic
- The base of the stand is unstable
- The clips cannot hold mobile phones
4. Kadence Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand
This is another durable and good quality mic stand whose body is made up of good quality steel and the mic holder’s clips are made of ABS plastic. It is a foldable stand that can be adjusted to different angles and heights. The clamp is stable even if you put it on a rough surface. This is the best mic stand that can be used in TV stations, radio stations, stages, and studios.
- It is an amazing mic stand at a very reasonable price
- It can handle heavy mics
- It is not compatible with many models of the mics
- It is not a durable stand
5. Samson BL3 Ultra-Light Boom Stand
This is a tripod boom stand that is made of steel. This mic stand has an attractive design. The mic has a glossy black finish that gives it a stylish and elegant look. Samson BL3 mic stand is very flexible and adjustment of the arm and the boom is also very easy. It is a stable, strong, and lightweight mic stand suitable for musicians during studio recordings.
- The stand is solid and very stable
- The material of the stand is good
- It is an over-priced product
- The boom can be longer
6. Ahuja DGT PA Microphone Stand
This is an adjustable stand that can be used as a floor and a table stand. It is a round base stand having a diameter of 150mm. The height of the stand is 350 to 530mm.
- The stand is chrome-plated so it rust-free
- The quality of the stand is very good
- The mic holder is not present in the package
- It is not suitable for condenser mics
7. Arctic 3 Leg Boom Double Microphone Stand (Black)
This tripod mic stand can hold two mics. The height of the stand can be adjusted via the lockable clutches. This mic stand is ideal for school functions, live musical performances, and also at religious places. It is an adjustable and stable stand that can also be used on uneven surfaces.
- The quality of the product is very good
- This stand has a good finishing which makes it more attractive
- Tools for tightening the screws are not available
- The product is good but high in price
8. Ahuja BMS-101 PA Microphone Stand
This is a tripod boom stand with an adjustable height of 1000 to 1700mm. The diameter of the base is 650mm and the weight of the stand is 2.5kg.
- It has a solid iron body with chrome plating which makes it durable
- The finishing of the stand is great
- Tightening knobs of the stand are loose
- It is unstable when heavy mics or condensers are attached to it
9. Bulfyss Professional Recording Microphone Stand (Black)
This is also a very good mic stand, but it is not suitable for heavy mics. The mic stand made of steel and the clips are plastic. The arm is not only height-adjustable but also foldable. The clamps can easily be attached to shelves, tables, and desks.
- Assembling of the stand is very easy
- mic stand easily be attached to different surfaces
- The moving capacity of the arm is 360°
- It cannot hold heavy mics, so not suited for professionals
10. Ahuja DGN PA Microphone Stand
It is a floor stand having an adjustable height of 920 to 1500mm. It has a diameter of 230mm. The stand is of good quality and chrome plated, so it is resistant to rust. The weight of the stand is 7.8 kg.
- It is a strong and stable stand
- The quality is very good and the metallic stand is chrome plated which makes it long-lasting
- No negative things have been seen about the product
We have tried our best to gather all the necessary information about mic stands in this article. We hope this article will help you in buying the best microphone stand based on your needs.
How many types of mic stands are available in the market?
Five different types of mic stands are available in the market. This topic discussed above in detail.
Which mic stand do professional musicians use?
Every type of stand has its own individual qualities and unique functions. So, professionals use different mic stands based on their preferences.
Our mic stands available online?
Yes, a large variety of mic sands are available on Amazon and other online stores. In this article, we have compiled a list of top products that you can buy from Amazon.