The menstrual cup is a product that serves the purpose of collecting the flow during periods. So it is a menstrual hygiene item. It is in some ways similar to the tampon, but with a different design, and different utility. Typically made using silicon, the menstrual cup is usually able to collect more fluid. This means that the person using it doesn’t have to keep on changing it. It is not uncommon to find menstrual cups that can keep on collecting period flow for as many as 8 to 10 hours. Usually, menstrual cups are washable and reusable. This makes them better for the environment than most other menstrual hygiene products, which are single-use/disposable. It also means that menstrual cups can help people to save money.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for Sanitary Pads, Whisper Pads, maternity pads, adult diapers, Disinfectant Wipes, Wet Wipes, Baby diapers, Hand Sanitizer, Surface disinfectant sprays, Best infrared thermometer, UV sterilizers, Hand wash liquids, Best Disinfectant sprays, in India.
Top 10 Best Menstrual Cups in India-Buyers Guide
Features of Menstrual Cup
- One of the key features of a menstrual cup is fluid capacity. This determines how long the cup will be able to keep on collecting menstrual flow before it gets full. This fluid capacity is usually given in millimeters, and it is very key.
- Another key feature of menstrual cups is the rim design. This may have an impact on how comfortable inserting the cup will be. It may also have some effect in terms of how prone to leakages the cup will be.
- Yet another key feature of menstrual cups is the diameter. This has an impact on the fluid capacity mentioned earlier. But it also determines how comfortable inserting the cup will be. And generally, through it, you get to tell whether the cup is ideal for you or not.
- Flexibility too is an important feature in menstrual cups. This tells you how easy to fold and insert the cup will be. It also determines how easy to remove the menstrual cups under consideration will be.
- In addition, the best menstrual cups come with leakage-proof, odor-proof, and itch-free features.
Types of Menstrual Cups
- Usually, menstrual cups come in three varieties: small-size menstrual cups, medium-size menstrual cups, and large-size menstrual cups.
- The small-size menstrual cups are ideal for women whose period flow is light. They may also work well for women whose birth canal openings are narrow, including those who haven’t given birth.
- The medium size menstrual cups are most ideal for women whose period flow is neither light nor heavy. These too also tend to work well for women who haven’t yet given birth.
- The large-size menstrual cups are ideal for women whose period flow is heavy. They are also the right menstrual cups for use by women who have given birth.
- Besides the menstrual cup size, the cups also differ in terms of design. So this is where we find the tulip-shaped menstrual cups and the disc-shaped menstrual cups.
- The tulip-shaped menstrual cups tend to have more depth, and they have the general appearance of diva cups.
- Conversely, the disc-shaped menstrual cups tend to have less depth – so they are generally shallower.
Buying Guide for Menstrual Cup
- You first need to ensure that the menstrual cup you buy is of the right size for you. In this regard, you have to consider how heavy or light your period flow usually is. You also have to consider your birth status: whether you have given birth or not. This should tell you what the right menstrual cup size is for your needs.
- Go for menstrual cups made using materials that won’t harm you. At the very least, ensure that the cup you buy is made using medical-grade silicone. If you can get one that is BPA-free and one that is latex-free, that will be even better.
- Check the design of the menstrual cups you wish to be. At the very least, ensure that is flexible, hence easy to insert and easy to remove. Also ensure that its rim is properly designed, making the cup leakage-free and easy to remove.
How To Use Menstrual Cup?
- After buying your menstrual cup, the first thing you need to do is sterilize it. Any good tutorial on how to use a menstrual cup always starts with this point on sterilization. Never use a menstrual cup that is not sterilized. In this case, sterilizing just means boiling the cup. In every monthly period, before you start using the cup, you will need to be sterilizing it as well.
- When the time for you to insert the menstrual cup comes, you will need to first fold it properly. There are several ways in which you can fold the cup. These include the punch-down fold method, the C-fold method, and the 7-fold method. The idea is to fold the cup and insert it – reaching the cervix. And once inside, it will open up and be able to absorb the menstrual flow. Take note that if you are a virgin, the cup may sometimes have the effect of tearing the hymen.
- There is also the aspect of knowing how to remove a menstrual cup. And here (regarding how to remove a menstrual cup), much will depend on the folding method you used. But in most cases, what you need to do is pull the cup’s stem only slightly, to access the base. Then use the base – not the stem – to get the entire cup out.
- In the course of the monthly period, be at least washing the cup with a gentle unscented soap before reinsertion. And always wash your hands well before handling the cup in any way.
List of Top 10 Best Menstrual Cups in India-Buyers Guide
1. Sirona (Small Size) Reusable Menstrual Cup
This cup promises to offer protection for up to between 8 and 10 hours. It comes with a pouch, and the actual cup is rather soft and made from medical-grade silicone.
- This cup truly ensures that one doesn’t have a nasty odour during the periods (due to its design)
- The price for this cup is rather low (and it is a long-term investment, which can serve for years)
- This cup’s structure ensures that it is not prone to leakages (and you can thus use it without worrying)
- Once it fills up, you need a place with a good water supply to clean it before reusing
- First-time insertion may be tricky since the cup is rather soft
2. Pee Safe (Small Size) Menstrual Cups For Women
What you get here is one pink color cup, complete with a pouch. It is designed to last for at the very least 5 years before you need to replace it.
- Once inserted, there is not much sensation of its presence (hence it is comfortable to have this cup on)
- It is free of toxins like BPA and materials that could cause allergic reactions to many people (like latex)
- This is a rash-free cup
- Like all other menstrual cups, it does collect quite a lot of blood by day-end (which may make one squeamish)
- Learning how to remove it well may at first be challenging, due to the stem design
3. SAFECUP USA – Soft Reusable (Medium) Menstrual Cup
The main material with which this cup is made is platinum-cured silicone. As a medium size cup, it is ideal for women whose period flow is neither light nor too heavy.
- It has rounded edges, which means that there is no chance of it hurting you
- The tip has perforated lines, which makes the removal of the cup rather easy
- It is a USA FDA registered product, hence with a good safety profile
- Some may find this cup’s price a little higher, relative to the prices of others in the market
- It is just modestly soft
4. Everteen Large Size Menstrual Cup for Women
Comes with a 30 ml fluid capacity, making it suitable for use even by women with heavy flows. Also promises to offer some protection against the smell some women have during periods.
- It comes with a nicely designed storage pouch
- The price is quite low, considering that this is a large-size cup
- One may keep on using it for as many as 10 years
- As with all other menstrual cups, you have to insert it until it gets to the cervix level
- It requires thorough sterilization at the start of each monthly period
5. Sanfe Reusable (Medium Size) Menstrual Cup for Women
Promises between 8 and 10 hours of worry-free protection during the periods. The main material in it is 100% medical grade silicon, with a leakage-free design.
- The stem is firm and hence should be easy to get hold of while trying to remove the cup
- This cup’s design makes its washing relatively easy
- It is an FDA approved product (hence one can use it with lots of peace of mind)
- Some may feel that the packaging could be better
- Being a medium size cup, it may not work well for certain women – like those with very heavy period flows
6. Carmesi Large Size Women’s Menstrual Cup
What you get here is a white colour silicon cup, which is made from bio-compatible materials. Very ideal for women who have given birth or other women with heavy period flows.
- Allows you to dance, play, swim or engage in other activities for as many as 8-10 hours without worrying
- It has no dyes or other forms of coloring, which can cause health safety concerns
- The price is quite good for a long-term (reusable cup) investment
- Some may find the rim quite thick (though there are those for whom it is a non-issue)
- It May not ideal for all women: like those with narrower openings or those with light period flows
7. Namyaa Ultra Soft Small Size Reusable Menstrual Cup
Designed to have a bell-like shape (hence leakage-free, easy to insert, and easy to remove). Suitable for wearing for up to 12 hours.
- It is very soft and hence very comfortable for the user
- Comes in top-notch packaging
- The design makes cleaning quite easy
- The fluid capacity is less than 16 ml
- Its presence inside the body may require some getting used to
8. GynoCup Large Size Reusable Menstrual Cup for Women
This is a spill-proof and leak-proof cup, made with 100% silicon that is of medical grade. Comes with a free pouch for storage as well.
- May serve you for many years, only requiring regular washing and sterilizing
- The price is quite low for a high-capacity cup
- It doesn’t irritate the user
- Cleaning may require time and patience
- The Colour is pink, which some may find a little unappealing
9. Azah Medium-Size Menstrual Cup for Women
A unique cup, which comes complete with an integrated pull-out ring. Promises up to 10 hours of protection during periods.
- This is a rather soft cup
- Allows you to take part in physical activities while it protects you fully
- Removal is easy (thanks to the pull-out ring)
- It May not work for those with very heavy flows (as it is medium size)
- After a maximum of 10 hours, it requires unscented soap washing before reuse
10. Stonesoup Medical Grade Silicone Menstrual Cup
The fluid capacity is 23 ml, with the unique U-design. The Colour is blue, and the cup is both compact and discreet.
- It is quite safe on the user’s skin
- Doesn’t take much effort to insert or remove
- Cleaning is not hard
- Some may find the blue color less than ideal
- The price may come across as being a bit high relative to other menstrual cups in the market
A good quality menstrual cup can ease the inconvenience and cost you have to go through every monthly period. With this guide’s help, you are in a better position to identify and buy the best menstrual cup in India.
Why should we use a menstrual cup?
Because it offers better protection during the periods, it is more economical and it is friendlier to the environment.
Is the menstrual cup painful?
Menstrual cups need not be painful, if you use the right size, insert and remove it properly.
What is the cost of the menstrual cup?
Menstrual cup price mostly ranges from as little as 220 to as much as 850 Indian rupees.