Malayalam is a Dravidian language spoken mostly in Kerala, India. Worldwide, over 45 million people speak this language. It is one of the twenty-two scheduled languages spoken in India. Malayalam is also considered a difficult language to learn in terms of writing.
Therefore, if you want your child to learn Malayalam, it’s important to find resources that can help them. Especially, for writing as grammar and spelling is a bit difficult. Also check the buyer’s guide for the best Educational toys for kids, Puzzle Games, Toy Trains, Remote control Cars, Kitchen sets, doctor sets, Study Pads, diary notebooks, Playing mats for kids, Register notebooks, & tricycles for kids in India.
Top 10 Best Malayalam Letters in India-Buyers Guide
Features of Malayalam Letters
- There are three main regional dialects of Malayalam. There are also a number of smaller ones too.
- Most of the differences in the dialects are due to social lines, particularly because of castes.
- Malayalam also has two styles – formal and informal.
- The letters of Malayalam shape sometimes closely resembles that of Tamil.
- There is also a simplified version of the Malayalam script. It’s used mainly for printing and was introduced in 1970-1980.
Types of Malayalam Letters
The Malayalam language can be split into a total of 13 dialects. These dialects are normally area specific. The dialects are:
- North Malabar
- Valluvanad(South Malabar)
- West Vembanad
- South Travancore
These dialects have a variation of vocabulary, grammatical and phonological elements and intonation patterns. The grammatical and phonological elements have roots in and are affected by the region, community, religion, style, occupation, social stratum, and register.
Buyer’s Guide for Malayalam Letters
- When buying a Malayalam learning tool, it’s important to take some things into consideration.
- First, your child’s age. If your child hasn’t learnt how to read or write, buying something for reading isn’t going to work. Instead, buy something that will teach them the alphabet. If your child is learning to write and read, buying something like a workbook is a great idea.
- Secondly, the type of tool you want to buy. Some companies make puzzle boards, others books and tracing boards etc. Depending on what tool you want to use, can also affect the price. Different tools also are mainly made for different age groups and learning stage.
How to Learn Malayalam Letters?
- There are different ways to use Malayalam learning tools.
- Tracing boards for example, have each letter engraved onto a board.
- You are meant to then trace over the letter using a pencil.
- Tracing the letter over and over, allows for you to learn and recognise the letter.
- Puzzle boards on the other hand are to help with vocabulary and understanding each letter.
- Puzzle boards allow for you to learn the shape and look of each letter.
- They also can be used to learn and expand vocabulary by allowing you to place letters together.
- Finally, books are mostly for learning how to read. You can start with picture books as they’re the easiest for learning.
- Reading through the book with your child is the best way to teach them how to read.
List of Top 10 Best Malayalam Letters in India-Buyers Guide
1. MOJO TOYS Malayalam Practice Boards
This wooden practice board allows for children to practice the Malayalam alphabet. They learn by tracing the vowels and constants with a dummy pencil.
- Made from high-quality materials
- By tracing the letters, your child becomes familiar with Malayalam.
- Children under 3 years may struggle with it or not enjoy playing with it.
- The board is thin.
2. CYRO CRAFT Malayalam Alphabet
This set comes with 51 wooden letters. It is designed to promote spelling, letter recognition and creativity as your child plays with it.
- Made from high-quality materials
- Has a magnet on each letter, so you can put it on your fridge.
- Letters are in multi-colours.
- Not for children under 3.
- This set is more expensive compared to other alphabets from the same company.
3. SAMPADA SYNTHETICS Malayalam Puzzle Play Mats
This play mat contains 66 pieces. It includes the Malayalam Alphabet and numbers from 1 to 10.
- Made from high-quality EVA form that is multi-coloured.
- Has a fragrance on the mat.
- Is child safe and non-toxic.
- Is a bit expensive.
- Young children may not enjoy playing with it.
4. MAMMA MARGARET Malayalam Alphabet Picture Book
This picture book includes all 20 consonants, 14 vowels and 20 complex consonants. It also has a picture for each first word / sight word for the alphabet.
- Has an English translation for bilingual learning.
- Works as a workbook too.
- Premium coloured cover.
- Not for children under 4.
- Book is in black and white.
5. MAMMA MARGARET Malayalam Language Book
This book is to learn the Malayalam language through the alphabet. You also get the English translations for each letter of the Malayalam alphabet.
- Child learns vowels, consonants and kootaksharangal.
- For bilingual learning – English and Malayalam.
- Is possible to use as a workbook too.
- Book is in black and white.
- Children under 4 cannot use this book.
6. BARGE SUREKTA SLATE Malayalam Alphabet
This toy is a Malayalam alphabet slate made from plastic. The letters are engraved into the plastic slate.
- Includes number 1-10 too.
- Can use the slate to practice letters by tracing.
- High quality materials used.
- Doesn’t come with a dummy pencil.
- Is small and may be hard for young children to use.
7. AKSHARABHYAS Malayalam Alphabet Slate
This slate contains 6 pages for practicing the Malayalam Alphabet. There are three slates in total.
- Is a patented design.
- Made from high quality materials.
- Is great for children who need extra practice with the Malayalam alphabet.
- Child needs to have started reading / writing to understand this slate.
- Doesn’t come with pencil.
8. FUNJOY Malayalam Aksharamala Play Mat
This play mat contains the Malayalam Askharamala. It also includes numbers with the mat.
- Has numbers 1-10
- Is multi-coloured
- Made from form that has a fragrance.
- Is made from 66 small pieces.
- Children under 3 may not enjoy it.
9. GENERIC Malayalam Wooden Puzzle Board
This wooden board is a puzzle to learn the Malayalam alphabet. Each letter contains a peg and can be rearranged.
- Is non-toxic.
- Contains two puzzle boards.
- Eco-friendly product.
- Puzzle pieces may go missing as they’re loss.
- Children over 3 may not enjoy this.
10. 3 GENERIC Malayalam Puzzle Boards
This set contains the Malayalam consonants and vowels. The pieces all have a peg and can be rearranged.
- Contains numbers 1-10 too.
- Has 3 puzzle boards.
- Is eco-friendly.
- Not really for children over 4.
- Puzzle pieces are loss and can go missing.
When teaching your child a language, it’s important to understand how the language works. Using learning tools are also important. And choosing the right tool can mean the difference between your child doing well in that language or not.
Malayalam is a language that is a bit difficult to learn in terms of writing and reading. For this reason, it’s important to give your child a head start. Even if they are young, and cannot write or read, you can use tracing boards to teach them the Malayalam alphabet.
If your child is starting to learn to read or write in Malayalam, there are tools they can use to learn too. Puzzle boards and books are a great way to practise Malayalam. You can also use them to expand the vocabulary and understanding of Malayalam.
Overall, there are some amazing learning tool out there to teach your child Malayalam.
1 – Which is the best Malayalam Aksharamala?
This depends on what you’re looking for and the age of your child. Some are great for young children who haven’t yet learnt to read or write while others are not.
2 – What is the price of the Malayalam Aksharamala?
This again depends on what you need. Some Malayalam Aksharamala are great for children under 3 while others are for older children. You also have to consider what you’re buying – whether it’s a puzzle board or book.