Keeping your hands free during a speech is known to boost the natural aspects of vocal quality. It is common for people to move their hands while speaking. That is how they add emotions, feelings, and sentiments to their speech. In the absence of body movement during a speech, a speaker may sound like a robot.
And that can affect audience engagement. This is precisely why people prefer to use lapel microphones (mics) instead of hand-held mics. Lapel mics, also known as lavalier or collar mics, are hands-free devices that the speaker does not have to hold while addressing a large audience. Also, check the buying guide for Best Wireless Microphones in India
Best 10 Lapel Mics in India
Features to keep in mind while choosing a lapel mic
Lapel mics are similar to other mics but are smaller in size and hands-free devices that can be easily clipped onto clothes. Apart from that, they have similar features like handheld mics:
This is an essential feature for every mic. Nearly every collar microphone has noise cancellation. It reduces unnecessary ambient sounds and background voices.
You will find the hanging clip on most lapel mics. The clip makes it easier for the user to attach the mic to clothes. Hence the usability becomes pretty easy.
This feature can be found in the best wireless microphones. The omnidirectional usage allows the user to speak in the mic from any side. Unlike the older mics that had the mic hose in one position, these have multiple hoses for voice flow.
Types of lapel mics
There are two common types of lapel mics. The first one is the standard mic and the second is the omnidirectional mic.
- The standard lapel mic is that which needs adjustment to speak in. It has up to three hoses for audio transmission. These are the oldest and most common type of mic.The price of these standard lapel mics is usually lesser than omnidirectional ones.
- The omnidirectional mics came into the market recently. They have multiple hoses for voice transmission. The user does not have to constantly adjust this mic for clear sound quality. Instead, whatever side it is, it will have the same audio effect. These are more expensive than the standard mic.
Best lapel mic-Buying Guide
The main thing to look for when buying a lapel mic is the wire length. The length of the wire should be enough to not to bother you. A shorter wire will not let you put your phone in the pocket. And a longer wire will keep hanging outside the clothes. Also, they can be a problem if you are walking in a crowded place.
The next thing you should look for is the connector. Are you buying the lapel mic that can be connected to your smartphone? Then choose the collar mic with 3.5mm jack. But make note that all 3.5mm jacks do not work with computers. For computers, you need to either get a 3.5mm female to the 4-pole male converter. Or you will have to get a microphone with the 4-pole jack.
It is advisable to choose the omnidirectional mic. The price for omnidirectional mics is more than the standard ones, but they are easy to adjust and saves you a lot of hassle. Just clip it to your shirt’s lapel from any end and speak in it.
Durability is another major aspect to look for. For that, you will have to read the reviews of the microphones. Fragile mics may have a better performance but they do not last long. And if you wish to spend more time with them, you have to be very careful while using them.
How does a lapel mic work?
- The application of the lapel mic is pretty easy.
- If you are using it for the first time, then unbox the mic.
- When you have taken it out of the box, straighten the wire.
- Be gentle, else if the mic is fragile, you may damage it.
- Then attach the mic with the device you want to use it with.
- After that, clip it on the lapel of your shirt.
- Shirt lapels are best for clipping.
- However, you can also clip it too ties or if you are wearing a T-shirt, you can clip it to the collar.
- Make sure that the mic is within the range of 2 to 3 inches from your mouth.
- If you clip it closer, then you may hear a heavy voice in the recording.
- And if it is too far, then you might not be audible.
- Once all is done, begin recording.
- It works the same way as the standard mics.
- The voice transmits through a wire to the device where it is decoded and saved as an audio file.
Top 10 Best lapel mics in India
1. oya BYM1 Omnidirectional Lavalier condenser microphone with 20ft audio cable
Boya BYM1 is a wired collar mic that comes with a 20-feet-long audio cable. The length of the cable is sufficient enough to let you roam across a standard stage.
- Sound quality is good
- The price range is reasonable
- Noise cancellation is a very handy feature
- Consumers report that it is not a reliable product
- Though the manufacturer claims wide compatibility, some users report compatibility issues
2. Maono AU-400 Lavalier microphone
Maono AU-400 lapel mic can port into your smartphone as well as computers. The cable has a 3.5 mm jack and a 4-pole extender also comes along.
- Microphone price is reasonable
- Sound quality is acceptable
- Comes with the noise cancellation feature
- Durability is doubtful
- Some consumers report that this mic stops working after some time
3. CEUTA digital noise cancellation clip collar mic condenser for YouTube video and much more
CEUTA collar mic is designed for smartphones and tablets. You just have to plug in the mic and you are ready to record high-quality sound.
- Noise cancellation features let the user make professional audios
- Pretty reasonable price
- Nicely built
- Durability issues
- The length of the wire is short
4. Juarez JRZ500 professional mini lavalier lapel microphone 3.5 mm omnidirectional
Juarez JRZ500 is an omnidirectional lapel microphone with a condenser clip. It has a 3.5 mm jack that can work on laptops, smartphones as well as tablets.
- The omnidirectional feature makes it easier for the speaker to use the mic without adjusting it
- Its smartphone and tablet connectivity allows you to create videos on the go
- The noise-canceling capabilities make the sound quality perfect
- Compatibility issues exist
- More expensive than some local brands
5. Miracle Sound ultimate lavalier microphone for bloggers and Vloggers
Miracle Sound collar mic is for every enthusiast who likes to make vlogs.
- 5 mm jack available for smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Cable length is 5 feet which are good enough to pocket the phone with the plugged mic
- Reasonable price
- Some consumers report that the mic does not last very long
- Some consumers complain about the sound quality
6. Venganza lapel mic collar microphone voice recording filter mic
Venganza collar mic is made for voice recording. It has a 3.5 mm jack that can connect to smartphones, and once you connect it you can record your voice.
- Easy to use
- Omnidirectional polarity
- Sufficient wire length
- Only compatible with handheld devices
- Consumers report distortion and noise
7. Techlicious 3.5mm clip microphone
Techlicious collar mic can connect to several devices. Its 3.5mm jack is well compatible and provides a better base for audio production.
- Compatible with computers and handheld devices
- The clip has a perfect shape
- Can also work with some cameras
- Noisy outdoor recordings
- Connector needs improvement
8. Trost lapel collar noise-canceling recording microphone for singing, karaoke
Trost lapel microphone is a low-price mic. It comes with a 1.5-meter cable and a 3.5mm jack, which is perfect for smartphones.
- Noise cancellation works well
- Cable length is good enough
- Compatibility is fine
- No warranty available
- The connector can be problematic at times
9. Cospex recording lapel mic metal clip-on omnidirectional capacitor mini microphone for bloggers
Cospex clip-on lapel mic adds a professional touch to your audio recordings. There is no need for adjusting the mic.
- Wide compatibility
- No need to adjust this microphone
- It is an omnidirectional mic that means you do not have to set it for better quality
- Wire length is short
- Noise cancellation is not great
10. Generic Lapel mic clip with long cable for mobile, DSLR camera, and some other devices
The cable of the Generic collar mic measures 1.25 meters (4 feet). Just plug in the mic and put the phone in your pocket, and you are all set.
- Microphone price is quite cheap
- Comes with a clip
- Has a noise cancellation feature
- Compatible with just a few devices
- Low-quality product
Collar mics are a way to remove all the hassles you face when recording the videos, podcasts, etc. They are relatively easy to use and offer hands-free audio recording capabilities.
Which Lapel mic is best?
A collar mic with good sound quality, noise cancellation, and long wire is best. Along with that, the durability of the lapel mic also matters. The one that lasts longer is surely the best. Further, omnidirectional mics are considered better as the user can speak into them from any end.
How does a Lapel mic work?
A wired collar mic works pretty easily. Just connect the microphone with the computer or whatever device you want and begin speaking.
Where do you put a Lapel mic?
The lavalier or lapel mic is attached to the lapel of the shirt. The clip of the mic hangs with the shirt, keeping it off the cloth. When placing the mike, make sure it is not touching the clothes. Else, there will be noise in the recording.
What are the types of Lapel mic?
In terms of operation, there are the standard collar mics and the omnidirectional mics. The standard collar mics have two to three audio hoses. You have to adjust the mic before you begin recording. Omnidirectional mics need no adjustment and can be used freely.