As its name suggests, a knife sharpener is a tool used to increase knives’ sharpness. Knives are bound to become blunt with the passage of time. Yet one can’t afford to be replacing a knife whenever it gets blunt. This is where the need for a knife sharpener arises. A proper knife sharpening tool is able to make the knife as sharp as a brand new one. Once the knife is sharpened, it becomes much more pleasant to use. It requires less energy to cut things and is less likely to slip. Also, check the buyers guide for the best Food processors, vegetable Peelers in India
Top 10 Best Knife Sharpeners in India-Buyers Guide
Features of Knife Sharpener
- One of the most important features of a knife sharpener is efficacy.
- The best sharpeners are those that are truly capable of making blunt knives sharp again with just a few swipes.
- Another important feature is efficiency.
- In this regard, a proper sharpener doesn’t require the usage of too much energy to restore sharpness to a blunt knife.
- Durability is yet another key feature.
- The best sharpeners are capable of lasting long, even with intensive usage.
- Ease of use also matters in a knife sharpener.
- The best sharpeners don’t require too much expertise to use, yet they deliver professional standard sharpening results.
Types of Knife Sharpeners
- There are several types of knife sharpeners.
- Firstly, there are pull-through knife sharpeners. These are also referred to as handheld knife sharpeners.
- Secondly, there are electric knife sharpeners.
- Thirdly, there are pedal-operated knife sharpeners.
- And fourthly, there are knife sharpening stones and knife sharpening steels.
How to Use a Knife Sharpener?
- If you are using a pull-through knife sharpener, you should pass the knife through the slots that are provided.
- One slot may be for sharpening (through a material such as tungsten), while the other is for polishing.
- If you are using an electric sharpener, you first need to connect it to a power source.
- Then turn it on. Thereafter, you need to pass the knife through the grinding mechanism, for it to become sharp again.
- If you are using a knife sharpening stone or steel, you just need to move the knife forwards and backward.
Buying guide for Knife Sharpener
- Before buying any knife sharpener, ensure that it is suitable for the type of knives you have in mind.
- Consider the materials used in making the knife sharpener, as well as its working mechanism.
- This will tell you how easy to use the sharpener will be.
- It will also tell you about the extent to which the tool can sharpen the knives.
- And it will tell you how durable the tool is likely to be.
- Further, consider the sharpener’s price.
- Ensure that it is a fair price, given the utility you will be getting from the sharpener.
List of Top 10 Best Knife Sharpeners in India-Buyers Guide
1. FLYNGO Manual Knife Sharpener
This is a three-stage sharpening tool. Very ideal for use with steel knives.
- It delivers fast results
- Capable of restoring the knife’s V-shape
- Price is reasonable
- Not suitable for use with scissors
- May require thorough (time-consuming) cleaning after each usage
2. Victorinox Portable Knife Sharpener
Comes with reversible blades. Ideal for use in kitchens by chefs and home cooks.
- Handle finger grooves give perfect grip
- The sharpener is fully portable
- Blades can be refitted
- The price is quite high
- May erode considerable bits of metal from the knives
3. Petals Knife Sharpener
This is a low-cost yet highly effective sharpener. The exterior is made of green plastic.
- It has a non-slip base
- The design is compact
- Comes with an energy-saving soft-grip handle
- It May take a bit of time to figure out how to use it properly
- Requires very light touch, to avoid eroding knife metal
4. HNESS Manual Knife Sharpener
This is another three-stage sharpener. Capable of both sharpening and polishing the knife.
- Requires very little energy to use
- Has potential to be durable
- Price is reasonable for the quality
- There may be a slight slippage effect at the base
- Sharpening may be somewhat uneven in some cases
5. House of Quirk Upgraded Kitchen Knife Sharpener
Suitable for use with a wide range of knives. Works via a three-stage sharpening process.
- Gives a burr-free 15-degree edge
- Doesn’t require too much energy
- It is quite safe to use
- It May initially be hard to figure out which slot to start with
- Not suitable for use with serrated knives
6. Big Buzz Manual 3 Stage Knife Sharpener
Uses tungsten to restore knife sharpness. Also capable of polishing the knife after sharpening.
- The blades section is detachable (for easy cleaning)
- Has potential to be durable
- Includes anti-skid design for safety
- It is a manual sharpening tool
- May erode some little metal from the knife
7. Skyup Manual Kitchen Knife Sharpener
Has both fine and coarse grit type. Ideal for kitchen use.
- It is one of the more affordable knife sharpeners
- Restores the knife’s V-shape after sharpening
- Lightweight and portable
- Requires careful handling while sharpening, to avoid slippage
- May also require thorough cleaning after each usage
8. Kyocera Advanced Ceramics Diamond Wheel Knife Sharpener
This is a unique wheel-based sharpener. The material is ceramic.
- It is fully portable
- The tool is quite sturdy
- Can be used with a wide variety of knives
- It is somewhat costly
- Only has coarse grit type
9. HAYDEN Manual Knife Sharpener
Ideal for sharpening, polishing, and honing knives. Suitable for both right and left-handed people.
- The sharpening system is easily cleanable (as it is removable)
- Has good safety profile
- Price is quite low
- Not suitable for sharpening scissors
- It May does not work perfectly for thicker knives
10. KACOOL Kitchen Knife Sharpener
Has tungsten steel blade, diamond rod, and ceramic rod. Gives results via a three-stage sharpening process.
- It has better safety, thanks to the anti-slip base
- Quite easy to use
- Gives a burr-free edge
- The sharpening results it gives may sometimes be transient
- Not suitable for use with certain types of knives
A proper knife sharpener can help you keep your knives sharp without using too much energy. This guide has information that can help you in identifying proper knife sharpeners for your day-to-day use.
What type of knife sharpener is best?
One that is easy to use, gives a decent degree of sharpness, and has a good safety profile.
How do you properly sharpen a knife?
By putting the blunt edge in contact with a material that has some grit.
What is the price of the knife sharpener?
Prices mostly range from 300 to 2,000 rupees, depending on quality and features.