A flat round griddle which is commonly known as the iron Tawas in South Asia is one of the essential cooking utensils. It was way back in history when the first iron Tawas was used. Well, round griddles are popular for open oven bread. Like one of the traditional bread in South Asia, Chapatti. Chapatti is a dry bread cooked over iron Tawa. And it is taken with every meal, except rice. Also, check the buyers guide for the Best kitchen tongs, Electric Tandoor, Microwave Oven & Roti maker
Further, iron Tawa is not that difficult to buy. But when you are concerned about safety and quality, it is surely a difficult task. You cannot trust every unbranded material for which you do not have any safety record. Indeed, we are going to make it easier for you to choose and buy iron Tawa.
List of Top 10 Best Iron Tawas in India
Features of Iron Tawa
- An iron Tawa may look like a simple griddle with only a single feature of cooking.
- However, if you analyze the performance of the flat round griddles you will come across a series of features.
- Well, some of the common features are as under:
- Iron Tawa is not only for chapattis or parathas.
- Instead, you can cook various other meals on this griddle.
- You can cook eggs, pancakes as well as heat dry food like pizzas and burgers.
- The best iron Tawas has a heat retention feature.
- You just have to heat them up and then lower the flame to maintain the heat level.
- Rest the iron Tawa itself will retain the heat.
Types of Iron Tawa
There are so many types of flat round griddles that we cannot explain them all. Instead, we will be telling about some common types:
Stainless steel Tawa
- Stainless steel is very popular kitchen cookware.
- Most of the utensils that we have in our homes are made from stainless steel.
- The griddles are even available in stainless steel.
- The iron or specifically pure iron Tawa is notable across South Asian families for its amazing cooking quality.
- It can retain heat properly and let the cook prepare bread easily on low flame.
- The newest type is available in the market in the induction flat round griddle.
- It is designed for use on induction cooktops.
Buyers guide – Best Iron Tawas
- Buying an iron Tawa could be challenging. Purchasing without verifying the features would make you pick something wrong.
- And at the end of the day, you will not appreciate your purchase.
- Even though the griddle would have been fine at its end.
- What should you check while buying iron Tawa?
- The flat round griddles are available in various sizes.
- The bigger ones for homes measure 15 to 16 inches.
- And the smaller ones are 8 and 9 inches.
- The bigger ones let you cook a bigger bread.
- On the other hand, the smaller ones are good for smaller bread and pancakes.
- Stainless steel cookware is one of the favorite materials.
- But when it comes to the griddles, the iron is the best.
- Also, non-stick griddles are available. But it could be difficult to maintain them.
- Some flat round griddles have grips attached at a minimal difference.
- Those grips are made of insulators that do not carry conduct heat.
- However, holding them could be difficult on high flames.
- As the higher flame may burn your hand because of no protection beneath.
- Iron Tawa is common for chapattis.
- But some best quality griddles can even cook many other pieces of bread and foods.
- Check out the usability level of the iron Tawa you are purchasing to make sure it matches your requirement.
How to use Iron Tawa
- The iron Tawa uses thermal transfer technology to work.
- When you put the Tawa or griddle on the flame, it begins to heat up.
- The iron spreads the heat to the entire griddle.
- In a short span, the griddle heats up.
- But it is not evenly heated.
- At the ends, it is cooler than the middle, unless the stove you have has a bigger flame.
- Soon as it heats up, put the batter atop the griddle and let it cook.
- The iron will transfer the heat to the batter and will cook it.
- Shortly turn the bread upside down to cook the other side.
- The same process happens again.
- Repeating it, again and again, will get the job done.
- On to the next bread, the iron Tawa shall be enough hot that you may not need a higher or medium flame.
- Instead, a lower flame should be enough.
List of Top 10 Best Iron Tawas in India
1. Madhu stainless steel iron Tawa
Madhu iron tawa measures 11.4 × 4.7 × 1.6 inches. That is a decent size for the traditional chapatti. However, the design may obstruct cooking.
- Sufficient size
- Stainless cookware
- Sturdy construction
- Heat retention and spread is uneven
2. Amicus iron Tawa
The 9-inch Amicus iron Tawa steals away 2.5 inches that Madhu gives you for the open bread cooking. Though a bit smaller but a good griddle.
- Convenient grip
- Works fine
- Cooking can be easy
- Difficult maintenance
- Best at low flame
3. Cello hard-anodized concave Tawa
Cello brings you a couple of options to choose from. You may get the 9.8 inches iron tawa or the 11 inches one.
- A couple of sizes available
- Nicely built
- Some consumers are not satisfied with the cooking experience
- Some even tell that the top coating wears off
4. Craftenka traditional iron Tawa for dosa, roti, chapatti with wooden handle
Craftenka 11-inch round flat griddle is for cooking the open over bread like the roti, chapatti, and dosa. Further, gripping this iron Tawa is easier with the wooden handle.
- Multipurpose iron Tawa
- Easy usage
- Cooking dosa on this griddle is a bit difficult
5. Craftenka non-induction base iron Tawa with wooden handle
Here is an even expensive iron tawa from Craftenka. It is a bit smaller but designed for perfection.
- Nicely built
- Sturdy design
- Multipurpose cooking
- Smaller than the previous variant
6. Naksha iron Tawa
Some people prefer cooking on flat round griddles having no grip. But there only a few people who prefer such griddles. Well, Naksha iron Tawa is made for those folks.
- Bigger pan
- Extremely durable
- Good for chapattis
- Limited purpose
- Way costly
7. HATIMI’s iron Tawa with wooden handle
Here is another cheap option on our list. The HATIMI’s iron Tawa measures 11 inches. But it is cheaper them so many other options.
- Pretty cheap
- Standard design
- Firm grip
- Low quality
- Average cooking experience
8. Madhu induction base iron Tawa
Here is another iron tawa from Madhu. Well, this one has the induction base which turns out to be a spectacular feature in the flat round griddles.
- Reasonable price
- Easy and inducted grip
- Small size
- Limited to induction stoves
9. PureChem cast iron roti tawa with steel handle
The 10-inch PureChen iron Tawa is suitable for cooking chapattis. Well, the best part is it is covered under a limited warranty.
- 1-year warranty
- Pure iron material
- Can cook parathas easily
- Slightly expensive option
- Durability is doubtful
10. Kitchen Shopee iron Tawa with wooden handle
The Kitchen Shopee iron Tawa is a low price option. This is an 11-inch griddle good for cooking chapattis and some similar food.
- Lower price
- Wooden grip
- Low quality
- Does not last for long
This guide should have given you all the information you need on the iron Tawa. Certainly, now it shall be easier for you to buy one.
Is Iron Tawa good for health?
Some researches reveal that cooking on iron utensils is easier. The iron utensils enhance the iron deposits in the food and help in recovering from iron deficiency.
How do you take care of iron Tawa?
Taking care of iron Tawa is generally easy. Just wash it with a scrub and soap and you are done. Some may require a coating to prevent rust. But that is after some time.
Can we make dosa on iron Tawa?
Not just dosa, you can also cook many other pieces of bread and cakes on the iron Tawa. Like you can prepare pancakes and parathas.
What is the easiest way to clean iron Tawa?
Just scrub the iron Tawa with a soaped scourer and wash clean it.
Which is better iron or cast iron?
Both have different applications. Cast iron is good for foods that take a lot of time. On the other hand, iron cookware is good for the food that cooks fast.