A hockey stick is the main gear featured in all varieties of hockey. It’s used for setting the ball or puck into motion, with the ultimate goal of scoring. Depending on the kind of hockey, it’ll come in different shapes and sizes. This is a multipurpose piece of sporting equipment by which one can flick, pull, strike, or block a ball or puck.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Sports helmets, Boxing Kits, Cricket bats & Balls, Cricket Kits, Basketball kits for Kids, Football Socks, Long socks, Sports Bags, sports watches, smart watches, Skate Shoes, Sports Wear, Woodland Sports Shoes, White Sports Shoes for Men, Black sports shoes, women’s sports shoes, Sparx running shoes, running shoes, Adidas running shoes, Sega running shoes, Puma Running Shoes, Nike shoes, Lotto shoes for men, Lee Cooper shoes, and Sports Shorts in India.
Top 10 Best Hockey Sticks in India
Features of Hockey Stick
- A hockey stick will typically come in the shape of the letter j or l.
- It has a handle from which it is controlled.
- It also has a head, which is where the player makes contact with the ball or puck.
- Comparatively, the handle is narrow while the head has a larger surface area to accommodate the ball or puck.
Types of Hockey Sticks
- In field hockey, differently positioned players have differently shaped sticks; and for good reason.
- Compared to the j-shaped sticks in field hockey, ice hockey and inline hockey sticks are in the shape of an l.
- The underwater hockey stick is the shortest of them all and can come in a variety of designs.
Buyer’s Guide for Hockey Stick
- First, a player has to consider their height when deciding on how big of a stick to go for.
- One’s style of playing will also be a factor, with defenders opting for longer sticks and attackers preferring shorter ones.
- You also have to think about the weight of the stick.
- If your priority as a player is making quick movements, then a lighter stick is the way to go.
- If you value power more, you want to go for a heavier stick, as a result.
How does it use Hockey Stick?
- To put it simply, the idea is for the hockey stick to collide with the ball or puck.
- You have an equal amount of force on the stick and the ball or puck.
- The difference is that the force of the ball or puck works in the opposite direction.
- When moving the ball or puck with a stick, energy from the stick must be transferred to the ball or puck.
List of Top 10 Best Hockey Sticks in India-Buyers Guide
1. Franklin Sports Mini 2 Piece Stick Set
Designed for kids, this two-piece ice hockey set features 2 mini hockey sticks and two soft foam balls. The set is themed after the popular American ice hockey team, the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Impressively, it’s officially licensed by the National Hockey League.
- The sticks are built to withstand high impact.
- The decorative design is distinct.
- It’s pricey.
- While it’s great for training, it doesn’t do too well on ice.
2. BAS Vampire Service Wood Hockey Stick
This wooden field hockey stick is made of reinforced glass fiber. It has a length of 84 centimeters and may weigh anywhere between 450-475 grams.
- It has a leather grip, and as a result; players can get a good hold of it.
- The stick is ideal for beginners.
- It’s also lightweight and not too thick, making it perfect for the agile player.
- Unfortunately, it isn’t suitable for taller children.
- Also, there is no left-handed version of the stick.
3. Rioff Men and Women’s Hockey Stick
This solid wood hockey stick weighs 640 grams and is 12 centimeters long. It’s designed for beginners to use when practicing.
- It’s got a good grip.
- Men, women, and children can make use of it.
- It’s also highly ranked in the field hockey sticks category.
- Surprisingly, it takes a while to remove all the packaging.
- What is more, some individuals may find it to be quite heavy.
4. TEMPEST Fighter Wooden Fold Hockey Stick
Available in sizes between 30 to 36 inches, this stick weighs around 450g. They made it out of wood and finished it with PVC.
- Beginners are comfortable training with it.
- The PVC finish at the handle makes for a decent grip.
- It’s light to carry and move around.
- Customers have claimed it’s not very durable.
- To add to that, it isn’t good for competitive play.
5. Liffo LX-1001 Hockey stick with Ball
This 89-centimeter-long field hockey stick is made of solid wood. Weighing 620g, it comes with a ball as part of the package.
- Since it comes with a ball, there’s no need to make an extra purchase.
- It has a striking design.
- The anti-slip grip allows for secure play.
- It isn’t ideal for intense gameplay.
- Some customers have also reported it breaking down within days.
6. Teranga Punjab Tiger Hockey Stick
Produced from mulberry wood, this hockey stick weighs around 600g. It’s 91 centimeters long, 10 centimeters wide, and 3 centimeters thick.
- You can use it in all kinds of weather and for both indoor and outdoor hockey.
- It’s been on the market for over 5 years; which is more than a lot of the items on the list.
- As if that wasn’t enough, the pricing is affordable.
- It’s of average build quality.
- Sadly, the stick is assembled with poor adhesive.
7. ALFA Y30 Composite Hockey Stick
This is one of the more premium hockey sticks on the list. This is a 10% carbon, 10% kevlar, and 80% glass fibre stick. Weighing 1kg and measuring 96 centimeters long, it comes packaged in a hockey stick bag.
- It’s visually appealing.
- Secondly, the stick bag makes it easy to carry around.
- Lastly, a lot of customers have given positive reviews for the stick.
- Confessedly, the price may be a bit steep for some players.
- It may even be quite heavy for some.
8. DSC Trigger Hockey Stick
Made of wood and reinforced with PVC, this hockey stick weighs 1.1kg and is 76.2-83.8 centimetres long. It has rounded corners with straight side walls and they designed it specifically for beginners.
- First of all, the stick is perfect for kids starting out in the sport.
- Not only that, it also has an aerodynamic design.
- Thirdly, the finish is satisfactory.
- Admittedly, the wood isn’t of superior quality.
- Some customers also claim it breaks easily, putting the lifespan at as little as a few days.
9. CRUXFITT Wooden Hockey Stick
This 90cm hockey stick is composed of solid wood material. It’s designed for both practice and beginner-level playing.
- The price is reasonable.
- Both men and women can utilize it.
- Additionally, it’s great for dribbling practice.
- It doesn’t do well in competitive settings or high-impact gameplay, to be honest.
- Furthermore, it may be lacking in terms of design.
10. BK SPORTS Wooden Hockey Stick
Mulberry wood and fibreglass wrapping come together in this wooden hockey stick from BK SPORTS. It’s got a classical wooden feel and a core that makes allowances for light practice.
- Firstly, the price is quite reasonable.
- It’s also thin and lightweight, making it easy to maneuver.
- Moreover, it has an authentic wooden feel that’s much appreciated by purists of the game.
- Truthfully, several customers did not appreciate the lack of durability in this product.
- Besides, it has far too many negative reviews.
You can now make the best decision when buying a hockey stick. Think of all the features and factors.
What is the Best Hockey Stick?
In terms of quality, the pricier options seem to provide the best. Still, one must consider factors such as playing level and style of play, body size, etc. when picking a stick. Generally, the best stick is the one that suits your body, gameplay, and budget.
As long as it’s comfortable and you can control it with ease, it’s perfect for you. If it causes you to bend too low, it could cause back problems or limit your field of vision. For those trying to avoid breaking the bank, wood is your go-to. Do note, however, that wood is more prone to wear and tear.
What is the Length of the Hockey Stick?
Hockey sticks will come in different lengths according to brands and models. The type of player they design the stick for will consequently have an impact in that regard. Those designed for kids are typically shorter while adult sticks are much longer, for instance.
When it comes to the standard length of hockey sticks, you’re looking at about 36.5 inches long. In contrast, the upper bound for hockey stick length is about 38.5 inches. It isn’t just the height of the player that dictates the required length. Strength is also something to take into consideration, with stronger players leaning more toward longer sticks.
What is the Cost of a Hockey Stick?
The fact is that not all hockey sticks are priced the same. It’ll depend on what materials they use to produce them, the brand, and the type of hockey stick. Wooden sticks are therefore the cheapest, composite sticks are slightly higher, and carbon fibre sticks are the most expensive. Notably, whether it comes with extra items such as a ball or puck will also cause disparities in pricing.
You can categorize hockey sticks into three different groups according to pricing. There are the low-end, budget sticks that are the cheapest. You have the mid-range sticks which are of average quality and pricing. Finally, you then have the high-end sticks which are of the highest quality and pricing.