The hand drum is a musical instrument that is played by hands or sticks. It is a very common musical instrument and is a part of many traditional musical tunes. As we all know that India is famous for its music. In India, music is a very important part of religion. Their functions are incomplete without music, especially hand drums or dholak. So, if you want to learn it or any function is coming and you want to buy a hand drum, then you are in the right place. We will tell you much about a hand drum and will also give you many options for buying it.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Keyboard Piano, Electric Drum pads, drum sets, Drum sticks, Snare Drum, Acoustic Guitars, Flutes, Dholaks, Damru, Mouth organs, Chimatas, Ghungroo, Keyboard Pianos, Keyboard adapters, Casio Keyboards, MIDI Keyboards, Harmoniums, Karaoke Mics, Karaoke Systems, Ahuja speakers, Ahuja Amplifiers, Sound Bars, Amplifier Speakers, Audio Mixers, Mic Stands in India.
Top 10 Best Hand Drums in India-Buyers Guide
- A hand drum has a face part that is used to produce the sound and the other part is a body part.
- Depending on the type, the body can be of different types.
- The face part is leather, calfskin, or goatskin that is present as a round plate.
- In some types of dholaks, the upper pitch and lower pitch sounds are produced from the same instrument, while, in some types, there are two different instruments for both pitches.
- Here are ropes and screws too to fix the leather part because a tight headpiece produces a very good and sharp sound.
Types of Hand Drums
- These are the most common and popular types of drums that originated from North Africa.
- It contains a single and wide head and a wooden shell.
- It is easy to play, cheap in price, and easily portable.
- This drum is also from Africa and can produce different ranges of sounds.
- You can make sharp and low bass sounds easily with this drum.
- The shell of the drum can be wooden or fiberglass.
- You have to put the instrument between your legs and play its head.
- It is the most popular type of hand drum that you see in different classical music concerts.
- The instrument contains 2 drums of different sizes that produce different pitch sounds.
- The head of one drum (the higher pitch) is made of wood while the other has a goatskin head.
- It is a famous instrument of Cubans that also comes in 2 parts, a large drum and a small one.
- The instrument has wood and calfskin material.
- The musician put them in between the legs and play.
- You can play different varieties of sound from different music genres.
- This is a large drum of about 9 to 34 inches in diameter.
- It is very common in Latin music and produces a very beautiful sound.
- Its material can be calfskin or wood stave.
Some other types of drums are also available that we are not discussing here.
Buyer’s guide for Hand Drum
- The drum head is the most important part to check while buying a hand drum. It can be of leather or animal skin, but now plastic heads are also available. The traditional drums have leather. You can buy it according to your needs and choice.
- The hand drums can come in 1 part, while some also come in a set of 2 or 3 drums. You have to buy it according to your plying skills.
- The hardware of drums’ sets is also an important factor to check.
- Check the pitch of the sound by tapping on the head. You can also feel its quality in this way.
- Its size is also an important thing to check.
- And the final thing is always comparing prices at different shops and websites and then buying.
How to play the Hand Drum?
- The hand drum produces a sound when someone strikes it with hands or sticks.
- These drums have a specific pitch range its head is made up of leather material that produces sound.
- The tighter the head region is, the sound quality will be good. Some screws or ropes are present to tighten the head portion.
- The portion of the head produces high pitch sound while the middle portion has low pitch sound.
- Some drums have 2 heads of different pitches.
- Many types of drums also come in multiple units containing different pitches.
- One has to take training to play the drum.
List of Top 10 Best Hand Drums in India-Buyers Guide
1. Musical Mart MMBG-L-03Two PieceBongo
This is a set of 2 hand drums by Musical mart in 11-inches size. Their material is basswood and is available in beautiful brown color. The drums are attached. One drum is small and the other is large and the pitch of sounds is different for both drums. They produce high-frequency and good-quality musical sounds.
- The hand drum price is very affordable.
- It is a very good drum for small family functions.
- You can easily adjust the screws to increase the quality of its sound.
- Some people claimed that the sound-producing portion has cardboard material.
2. Star Musical and Handicraft hand drum
This is a beginner-level drum for the age of people 5 to 12 years old. Its materials are mango wood and good quality leather. A good thing is that the leather portion is covered with nylon rope. The rope not only protects the leather but also gives a good boundary for easy playing. Its dimensions are 17.8*17.8*17.8cm and are available in a variety of colors.
- Its size is very comfortable in use and is also lightweight.
- The dholak is very good for beginner learners.
- Its sound quality is very good.
- A few customers claimed that the hand drum price is higher compared to the sound quality.
3. PAL MUSIC HOUSE Fiber Congo Drum Set of 3
It is a professional-like set of hand drums that comes in a combination of 3 drums. This type of set was used by the people of Cuba and Africa but now you can easily buy it from Pal music house. The 3 drums are tall and narrow and have different sizes. The upper, sound-producing part of the drums has leather material. They come with a foldable stand.
- They come with sticks for beginners.
- The assembling of the drums is also very easy, even for beginners.
- Some people didn’t like their quality.
4. Skylark Musicals INTERNATIONAL® Djembe Natural Polish Hand Drum
It is another beautiful, hence a good sound-producing drum that you can buy. Its material is wood and leather. The drum’s height is about 15 inches while the diameter is 9 inches. The finishing is also very good and professional and beginners both can use it.
- The hand drum price is very reasonable.
- It doesn’t only produces a good sound but also is very good in appearance.
- The drum is not very suitable for professionals.
- The side clams should be replaced with ropes.
5. GT manufacturers Professional Bango Drum Set
It is a set of 2 handmade drums made up of wood. The drums are attached. The drums produce a very good and high-pitched sound. It is available in a combination of 2 colors. So you can play it and will also look good in your music room. The material of the drums is good quality mango wood and leather.
- Its size is very good and comfortable to play with.
- The sound quality is also awesome.
- These drums are available at a very good price.
- The polishing is not long-lasting.
- The leather quality should be good.
6. TAJ TRADER Two Piece Wooden Hand Bongo Drum Set
Another set of wooden drums of very good quality on our list is these Taj trader drums. The set has 2 drums, a small and a big. Their material is wood and comes in a very beautiful brown color. It is very good as a gift to a music lover, for home decoration, and also for beginners to practice.
- The head has the right size to play it easily.
- Its tightness is perfect and produces good sound.
- The quality of the head is not up to the mark.
7. GT manufacturers FreeStyle Rope Djembe Drums
It is a beautiful Djembe that is made up of wood and original leather. The finishing is very good and has a perfect clamping system. Nylon ropes are wrapped around the edges perfectly. Its quality, bass, and everything are perfect.
- It is a perfect instrumental piece for a beginner and professional.
- The finishing and style are very good.
- Its sound quality and frequency are perfect.
- We didn’t find anything bad about it.
8. Gawharet El Fan darbuka drum
It is a beautiful and traditional hand drum or darbuka drum. Its materials are aluminum and pearl. The head is 17 inches wide. Its sound is very different and beautiful. It is a beautiful masterpiece as decoration, while a unique sound-producing instrument.
- It is easy to play this drum.
- The quality, loudness, and the pitch are amazing.’
- It is different from the traditional Indian dhol, hence beautiful.
- It is expensive.
9. FLAWISH Djembe Darbuka
This African hand drum is also a very beautiful instrument that you will love to buy. It creates a very clear, deep, and warm sound that is very calming to the listener. Its material is cherry wood and comes with sticks and a strap.
- It has ropes to tighten it.
- The appearance of the instrument is beautiful.
- The sound is very good and calming.
- A few customers didn’t like the quality.
10. Pioneer Arts Damru Hand drum
This African instrument is a handcrafted drum by the Generic brand. It is a very important part of Indian traditional and religious songs. If you are a classic songs lover or love to sing in school functions or at home Pooja you can consider it.
- Its material is very good.
- The sound quality is amazing.
- The sound’s pitch is not very amazing.
If you are a music lover then you must need to learn drums. The hand drum is a very good, hence an easy instrument to learn. Buy any hand drum and enjoy your learning.
What is a hand drum called?
You can call them dholak, dholki, or simply hand drums. Its different types are known by their names such as tabla, conga, bongos, djembe, etc.
What family is the hand drum in?
It belongs to the percussion family of musical instruments.
Which is the best hand drum?
You can check the “top 10 list” heading to find the best hand drum.