A guitar capo is a small tool that fastens down the neck of the guitar at a specific fret on an acoustic and electric guitar. These function through springs threaded bolts, or elastic all serving the same purpose.
Capos shorten the guitar’s strings length resulting in a different sound effect. It is a useful device for beginners, which makes the learning process easier. This is also used by intermediate and advanced players as it offers a broader range of variety and depth to the sound.
The main function of a capo is to allow the guitarist to play songs using fewer chords. The effective and correct way to set the capo is to clamp it closer to the tuning pegs before the fret. Also, check the buyer’s guide of the best guitar strings in India and Best Electric Guitars in India
Top 12 Best Guitar Capos in India
Buyers Guide – Guitar Capos
Before going to purchase a capo, it is recommended to take your guitar with you to try it out. Below is a list of factors that you should consider while purchasing a capo for your guitar.
Fit and Radius
- One of the most common issues in choosing a capo is that guitars with nylon-strings have a flat fingerboard, and the steel strings have a curved fingerboard.
- Most capos are marked as curved or radius, or then flat, yet it is difficult
- As there is an impressive variety of capos and fretboard shapes that make it hard to determine which capo is suitable for your guitar.
- The rubber on the capos differs from each other resulting variations in sound and performance.
- Capos with soft rubber produce a slightly dull tone and assist in muting other strings by only applying less force.
- Whereas capos with hard and firm rubber produce a sharp sound and require more force for muting the other strings.
- The force of the capo on the strings and guitar is also an important factor to consider.
- And the mechanism of the strap, toggle, screw, spring, and all other capos apply a different amount of force to the strings.
- Therefore it is important to select a capo that applies the right amount of force and does not cause problems with tuning.
Features of a Guitar Capo
A capo assists in quickly changing the key of a tune. If a guitarist finds it hard to sing a song, they can instantly use different keys to play. A capo produces a more vibrant sound quite similar to a mandolin.
Just consider below features while choosing a guitar capo:
- A capo enables you to move to fretted-string, open string combinations that are on a single key.
- Beginners usually start with learning D and A keys but to be able to play the difficult ones, you would need a capo.
- With only being able to play 5 chords, you can easily change between them and play hundreds of songs.
- Chords C, G, D, Am, and Em will unlock different tunes for assisting with singing.
- Capos are real handy if two guitarists are playing at the same time, they would produce a distinctive striking tone.
- As you move up towards the neck, the capo pushes the frets closer.
- It makes it easier to play songs, as it reduces the requirement of stretching the left hand.
Types of Guitar Capos
- Strap capos are strapped onto the guitar’s neck.
- They are elastic and can easily slide back and forth.
- They are similar to the strap capos and require a pull on the toggle that straps tight onto the neck.
- They function as a clamp.
- To place it over the guitar’s neck you need to press the clamps to loosen them and once adjusted, you release the clamps down.
- They function similar to a trigger capo, however, they use a sophisticated mechanism of spring to put pressure and hold on to the neck.
- These capos function with screws that are tightened with an extended arm at the rear of the guitar neck.
- Screw Capos have been around quite a while and are commonly used by beginner and professional guitarists.
How Does a Guitar Capo Works?
- Capos help guitarists in producing tones in various beneficial ways.
- Guitar capos help with raising or bringing down the key of a tune in case you are working with a vocalist.
- If a melody is excessively high, or excessively low for the vocalist, you can essentially utilize the capo to alter the key of the tune to accommodate their voice.
- Utilizing a capo along these lines makes it simpler for you since you do not need to change the cords, you simply move the capo accordingly.
- Another great function of a capo is that it maintains the voicing of chords during changes of keys.
- For instance, you can quickly switch tones from one major chord with open chords to another major with open chords that would result in producing a different tone.
- Using a capo while performing with another guitarist adds different tones to the jam.
- Usually, when playing or practising with another guitarist you would be playing similar chords,
However, with a capo, you can change the tones and produce a higher pitch from the chords.
List of Top 12 Best Guitar Capos Online in India
1. Dunlop Guitar Capo 83CB:
This is a curved durable product & it is a reliable tool for changing keys on the guitar. Also, this is adjustable on guitars with 6 or 12 strings. It is easily & firmly attaches to the guitar allowing changing through keys instantly without altering the tuning.
- Dunlop Guitar Capo made with aircraft-quality aluminium material.
- Firmly and easily adjustable on guitars with 6 or 12 strings
- Might be stiff to open and adjust for some users
2. Planet Waves NS Guitar Capo PW-CP-02:
This sleek & lightweight product is from the D’Addarios brand. It offers quick, precise, single-hand use on the guitar’s fretboard. It comes with thermoplastic (ABS) moulding that makes the capo lightweight.
- Planet Waves Guitar Capo comes with a micro-dial for quick and easy adjustment.
- It has easy manoeuvre design
- This is suitable for acoustic and electric guitars
- Only suitable for guitars with 6 strings, not 12
3. Juarez One Handed Trigger Guitar Metal Capo JRZ250 Quick Change For Electric, Ukulele & Acoustic Guitars:
This is a multi-instrumental capo made by the company Juarez. It attaches to acoustic and electric guitars, bass, banjo, mandolin, and ukuleles. It is simple to adjust and move through the chords without altering the tuning with one hand.
- Jaurez Guitar Capo made with lightweight zinc alloy material.
- A silicone pad that is gentle against the fretboard.
- Suitable for acoustic/electric guitars, mandolin, ukuleles and banjo
- The spring gets loose after some time
4. Juarez JRZ100 Guitar Wall Hanger with Fittings + Juarez JRZ250 One-Handed Trigger Metal Capo Quick Change for Ukulele, Electric & Acoustic Guitars:
This two-in-one pack consists of JRZJ100 wall hanger and RZ250 capo, offered by Juarez. It attaches to acoustic and electric guitars, bass, banjo, mandolin, and ukuleles. The wall hanger’s frame is durable steel that comes with a foam coating that prevents from scratching the guitar.
- Jaurez JRZ100 Guitar Capo made with a zinc alloy material & lightweight frame
- It is simple to adjust and move through the chords without altering the tuning.
- Durable steel wall hanger with foam coating that prevents from damaging the instrument
- The spring gets loose and the silicon pad wears off after some time
5. Bufferman Guitar Capo with Silver Metal:
This is a lightweight metal capo product from the Bufferman brand. It is a trigger capo designed for easy adjustment and firm attachment. This has a thick rubber that pushes against the fretboard firmly but gentle enough to switch chords without disrupting the tone.
- Bufferman Guitar Capo made with polymer mixed metal material & lightweight clamp
- It is an efficient tool for switching keys on the guitar.
- Padded with rubber that is sturdy yet gentle on the string
- Only suitable for guitars with 6 strings
6. Mustang Spring Guitar Capo with 5 Free Picks:
This is a two-in-one package from the Mustang brand. It is a curved capo made with durable and strong alloy. This has a durable silicone pad that prevents scratching and assist in quick switching of chords.
- Mustang Guitar Capo comes with 5 colourful picks and a spring
- This is a lightweight and curved capo
- It is ideal for all types of musical guitars including a 12 strings guitar.
- Suitable for all musical guitars including a 12 strings guitar
- All picks come in one size (0.4 mm)
7. Nordic Essentials Aluminum Metal Universal Guitar Capo with Green & Blue for 6 and 12 String Instruments:
This product comes in a pack of two guitar capos made of aircraft-quality aluminium offered by Nordic Essentials. They are suitable to use on all types of musical guitars. These capos provide instant positioning and release without changing the tuning that can be done with one hand.
- Nordic Essentials Guitar Capo made with aircraft-quality aluminium material.
- This is a lightweight and durable product
- Comes with two capos and carry pouch, green and blue colour
- Not suitable for guitars with wide fretboards
8. Dolphin Classical Guitar Capo with 12 Strings For Electric & Acoustic Guitars:
This is a lightweight metal capo, a product of the Dolphin brand. This metallic capo is an ideal tool for switching and tuning keys on the guitar for unique tones. The capo provides a firm and convenient adjustment on the fretboard. It comes with a thick sturdy rubber that is gentle on the strings.
- Dolphin Block Guitar Capo is a lightweight product.
- Firm grip and easy adjustment on the fretboard
- Colour wears off after some time
9. Leo Martin Metal Guitar Capo with FREE Alice 6 Picks:
This is a two-in-one pack that comes with 6 Alice picks and an aluminium alloy trigger capo by Leo Martin. It is suitable for acoustic and electric guitars. This has a durable rubber pad that prevents damaging and assists in instant switching of chords.
- Leo Martin made with lightweight aluminium alloy curved material.
- Suitable for all musical guitars including a 12 strings guitar
- Includes 6 Alice picks of different sizes (0.58, 0.71, 0.81, 0.96, 1.2, and 1.5 mm)
- Not suitable for all 12 string guitars other instruments like ukulele
10. Mustang One-Handed Trigger Metal Guitar Capo Quick Change For Electric & Acoustic Guitars:
This is a lightweight spring capo from the Mustang brand. It comes with a durable silicone pad. This makes switching chords easy to move and use without damaging the instrument. It is suitable for ukulele, acoustic and electric guitars.
- Mustang Guitar Capo made with a durable alloy material
- This is a lightweight & sturdy radius capo
- Suitable for attaching to acoustic/electric guitars and ukulele
- Padded rubber wears off from edges after some time
11. worldmacs Jackie Squeeze Acoustic Guitar Capo with Heavy Duty Quick Release:
This is an ultra-lightweight trigger capo from the Worldmacs brand. It is a radius capo that comes with a durable spring and rubber pad. This capo is capable of releasing and relocating quickly without affecting the tuning.
- Worldmacs Guitar Capo made with durable & lightweight aluminium material.
- Suitable for clamping to electric and acoustic guitars
- Not suitable to clamp on a 12 strings guitar
12. Shubb Deluxe Series Stainless Steel & Classical Guitar Capo GC-30C:
This is a handmade product from the famous American brand Shubb. Shubb has been manufacturing these distinctively designed capos for over 35 years now. It is suitable to clamp on all types of musical guitars. This provides a firm yet delicate grip like your fingertips.
- S2 Shubb Deluxe Guitar Capo is lightweight and durable screw capo
- It is easy to lock or remove with the simple mechanism of a flip lever.
- Suitable for clamping to electric and acoustic guitars
- It comes with a rubber pad that is custom-built
- It is one of the most expensive capos available in the market
Hope the above list of Guitar Capos & its pros, cons help you decide best guitar capo for your guitar.
What is a capo on guitar?
A capo is a small tool that fastens down the neck of the guitar at a specific fret on an acoustic and electric guitar allowing you to easily play more chords.
Why do guitar players use a capo?
A capo is a useful device for beginners because it makes the learning process easier. It is also used by intermediate and advanced players as it offers a broader range of variety and depth to the sound. The main function of a capo is to allow the guitarist to play songs using fewer chords.
How much does a capo cost?
A local and low-quality capo costs about Rs 95. Average capos range between Rs 150-400. However, there are popular brands that offer capos that cost up to Rs 1000.
How do you change keys with a capo?
Before changing keys, you should already know what keys you will be playing, and based on that you adjust your capo. To change keys, you take the equivalent key to the open chords and then add a half step or semitone for each fret’s position.
What is that clip thing on guitar?
That clip is a guitar capo that is used to clamp the fretboard and allow you to play more chords with ease.
Why is my guitar always out of tune?
Guitars can be out of tune if the strings get old, the strap on headstock moves the strings frequently and also a capo can disturb the tuning when repositioning it.