A gearbox is a set of gears in a vehicle. Almost all automobiles have a set of gears. This gear set is also known as transmission. Gearbox oil is for this transmission. Gear oil is a kind of lubricant which could be of high viscosity. The oil helps in keeping the gears running smoothly. It also helps the transmission from getting overheated and weary. Whether it is manual or automatic transmission both use gear oil. Which gear oil is suitable for the vehicle depends on its components.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Shell Engine Oil, Engine oils, Castrol Engine oil, Bike Engine oils, Synthetic engine oil, Car Engine oils, Car puncture Repair Kits, Car vacuum cleaners, Car reverse cameras, Car dash Cameras in India.
Top 10 Best Gearbox Oils in India-Buyers Guide
Features of Gear Oil
- The gearbox oil normally comes with high viscosity. Some are low viscosity fluids which mostly work for automatic transmission.
- Gearbox oil is good for manual gearboxes.
- The gear oil helps reduce the friction between the critical parts of the gears.
- They are antioxidants. Gearbox oil prevents rust formation and corrosion.
- They protect the gears from wearing down and from heat damage.
- Oil makes the transmission works better in extreme conditions, whether there is low operating temperature or high operating temperature.
- Gearbox oil enhances the life of the gears and makes them last for a longer period.
- The gear oil is something that prevents the sealing of equipment.
Types of Gear Oils
There are two types of gear oil, one is mineral and the other is synthetic.
- Mineral-based oils have a higher viscosity than synthetic.
- Mineral oil has three types. R&O, EP, Compound type.
- R&O is a mineral oil that contains antioxidant and antirust additives.
- EP contains high-pressure agents as additives; good foreclosed gears.
- Compound-type oil is good for worm gears.
- However, synthetic oils have greater resistance against oxidation, and rust formation and they are more heat resistant.
- Synthetic oil is good for machinery which has more than 120° or more temperature.
- They are good for enclosed gears and worm gears. They are longer lasting than mineral oil.
Buyer’s Guide for Gear Oil
There are many things to look for before buying a gearbox oil.
- The first thing to look for is; the viscosity of the oil.
- It is directly related to what type of gear set an automobile has.
- See what you need and then check the thickness of the lubricant you are going to use.
- The next thing to consider is additives in the gear oil.
- Look for the properties of the material added to the oil.
- And the most important thing to see is what type of base lubricant you are going to use.
- Material or synthetic. This depends on the machinery you have.
How to use Gear Oil?
- Do you have a manual or automatic transmission? Use the jack to lift the vehicle, and keep a jack stand under the car.
- Never go under the car while relying solely on the jack.
- Find the gearbox, locate a filler bolt, unscrew it just about the half size and then look for the drain bolt, spread the newspaper under it, then put a pan and then open the drain bolt to drain the old oil.
- Clean the magnet on the drain bolt and remove the filler bolt.
- Then replace the drain bolt and fill the oil then close up the filler bolt.
- The same method can be applied to the automatic transmission.
- Open the drain bolt of the automatic gearbox to let the old oil drain, clean the gasket pan and look for metal shavings, remove if found any, replace the old transmission filter with a new one, and then fill up the new oil.
List of Top 10 Best Gearbox Oils in India-Buyers Guide
1. Liqui Moly 20012 Gl 4 + SAE 75 W 90 Gear oils
Liqui Moly is a synthetic gear oil. The product is high-pressure gear oil for high-load manual, auxiliary, and hypoid transmission.
- It is good for extreme conditions.
- The low viscosity makes it suitable for reducing stiffness as in the gear shift resistance and noise generation in the transmission.
- It protects against corrosion and has aging resistance.
- Works best for automatic vehicles.
- Not many known disadvantages.
2. Spirax S2 G 80W-90 API GL-4 Gear Oils
Spirax S2 G is a high-quality automotive manual transmission oil. It is suitable for passenger cars and light-duty commercial vehicles.
- The shell Spirax gear oil product protects the gears from corrosion and becoming weary.
- Long-lasting because of the good oxidation stability.
- Good for using on bike chain as well.
- It is best for vehicles with a manual transmission, not good for automatic ones.
- Some people don’t like the smell.
3. Bosch F002H20987079 GO 90 API GL-4 SAE 90 Gear Oils
The product is compatible with all types of vehicles. It provides excellent resistance against extreme pressure and good performance for high-load capacity.
- Protect gears against wear.
- Provides excellent performance in all kinds of weather conditions.
- Very good chain oil.
- This Bosch gear oil is for vehicles that have a separate gearbox.
- For manual transmission.
4. Gear FF 75W-85 Fully Synthetic Gear Oils
This is the synthetic gear oil. This SK Zic gear oil is suitable for manual transmission. Especially for the front-wheel-drive vehicles.
- Provides rust and corrosion protection.
- The product is an anti-wear and anti-oxidant.
- Provides excellent protection at high temperatures.
- It is a bit more expensive than the others.
- The oil may not be suitable for automatic transmission although you can use it.
5. Waxpol Gear Oils Multi-Grade 80W 90 API GL-5-1 L
This product is for heavy vehicles like regular or turbocharged trucks, buses, Luvs, or Earthmoving heavy equipment.
- This Waxpol Gear
- oil protects against oxidation.
- The products prevent thermal degradation.
- This provides resistance against corrosion.
- Not a chain lubricant but some use it as such.
- Not for Honda.
6. Gear Drive EP-140 API GL4 Gear Oils
This HP gear oil is good for gearbox, transaxles, and manual transmission of automotive.
- The product protects from rust and corrosion.
- Provides good heat resistance.
- Give protection to axels under heavy loads.
- It leaves a stain.
- Not for bike chains.
7. MANNOL 9968 Gearbox Leak-Stop Gearbox Oils
This Mannol lubricant has a special additive that eliminates leaks through gaskets of a manual transmission.
- It stops the oil from leaking from the transmission.
- Works effectively in extreme conditions. Is compatible with any kind of relationship.
- Good for any kind of mechanical transmission.
- Not for automatic transmission.
- Does not prevents leak through stuffed
8. Super 80W-90 API GL5 Multipurpose Hypoid Gear Oils (5 L)
This Servo gear oil is for light and heavy vehicles, commercial vehicles, and hypoid gears. The gear oil is a high-quality oil with great performance.
- Provides heat resistance and makes the gear stable.
- Prevents rust and corrosion.
- This product offers friction control capability.
- Do not use it on automobiles that require GL4 oil, this is only for GL5
- The product is good for heavy vehicles mostly.
9. Smartshift Pro 80W90 GL 4 High-Quality Gear Oils
This Gomechanic Smartshift gear oil comes with an additive that improves and enhances the gear life. This oil is thinner than others and thus expands better, this way it reduces wear and tears through the gears increasing their lives.
- Protection against wear and tear.
- The product helps prevent corrosion.
- This product provides good oxidation stability.
- Does not suit heavy-duty hypoid gears.
- Not for GL 5 using vehicles.
10. STAR STAROL Gear Care (API-GL5) EP 80W 90 Gear Oils (1 L)
This Starol gear care oil product is good for scooters, bikes, cars, and heavy vehicles like buses and trucks. This product is for vehicles that need EP type of lubrication.
- The product is an antioxidant and prevents rust formation.
- This prevents the formation of any kind of deposit at high temperatures.
- This contains additives that make the gear life longer.
- Not for GL4 using vehicles.
- Not many disadvantages.
Every part of an automobile is important for it to run for a longer time. Gear oil can help increase the longevity of the gears and make the automobile runs smoothly and keeps the vehicle in good condition. It is not necessary to change it from time to time. The gearbox oil needs a change after almost 50000 miles. You can change it yourself or can take the car to a service center.
What is gear oil used for?
Gear oil is a lubricant for the gearbox or transmission in an automobile.
Which oil is best for the gearbox?
Liqui Moly is best for the gearbox so far.
What is the price of the gearbox oil?
Price may vary according to the additive it offers. A gearbox oil ranges from more than rupees 200 to 2000 INR.