There are a few different types of cardamom out in the market including green cardamom. People also refer to this as true cardamom and the species of plant that it comes from is the Elettaria cardamomum.
You often find this type of spice in India and Malaysia and this is where people use it the most. Great for both sweet and savoury dishes, green cardamom or green Elaichi works well in most sweet dishes. Also, check the buyer’s guide to buying the best Black Raisins, Black Cardamom, Dal Chini or Cinnamon stick, Cardamom, Khus Khus, Black Pepper Powder, White Pepper Powder, Dry coconut, Cocoa Powder, Cumin powder, Cheese Powder, Turmeric Powder, ginger powder, mulethi powder, Dalchini Powder, Eliachi Powder, Dalchini sticks, Cloves, Elaichi, Peppercorns, Black Peppercorns, Cumin powder, masala tea powders, Amla Juice, Giloy Juice, Triphala Churna, Tulsi Drops, Aloe Vera Juice, Mishri, Ginger Powder, Anjeer, Badam, Mamra Badam, Walnut, Dry dates, coconut powder, Kishmish, Pista, and Long Peppercorns
You can also use it for savoury meals, but people prefer to use this type of cardamom for the sweeter side of life. Buying this spice online can be stressful because you can never be sure of what you are buying, so here are some tips.
Top 10 Best Green Cardamom in India
Buyers Guide – Elaichi or Green Cardamom
Shopping for green cardamom can be tiring because of how expensive it is which means you need to get the best product.
You first want to make sure that it is green Elaichi you are buying and not any of the other types. Then you need to think about your budget.
- If you can’t afford a bigger bag, then opt for a smaller quantity.
- You only need a few pods to give your meals a huge flavour boost.
- Now that you’ve figured all that out, your next step is deciding if you want an organic product.
- Although products with additives may last longer, it will never be the same as using a fresh spice.
- If you want to buy in bulk though, the best way to go would be a product that has preservatives.
- The last thing you want is half a bag of pods that aren’t good anymore.
- The packaging is also important in keeping your spices fresh.
- Some manufacturers sell their products in resealable packaging which is amazing for keeping the pods fresh for longer.
- And some might even sell their product in reusable containers which is just an added advantage.
Features of Green Cardamom
- Surprisingly, green cardamom is good for more than just flavouring your food.
- There are many ways that your health can benefit from consuming this lovely spice.
- It is packed full of antioxidants which are great for keeping your body cells healthy.
- There is research to show that it may also be extremely helpful in regulating high blood pressure.
- This is because it has a diuretic effect that you find in some blood pressure medications.
- People also believe that cardamom may contain compounds that can help fight cancer cells.
- The anti-inflammatory effect of the spice means that it may also help protect you from chronic diseases.
- Digestive problems can also be relieved with the ingestion of green Elaichi.
Types of Elaichi or Green Cardamom
There are 3 main types of cardamom we use in cooking today.
- Most people prefer to use this in sweet dishes and masala chai teas.
- Other spiced drink recipes also state that you should use green Elaichi.
- You can also use it for savoury dishes.
- This has much more of a smokey flavour.
- You can, however, also use it for sweet dishes.
- This means that the best way to use this spice is in savoury dishes.
- This is bleached green Elaichi.
- It is not as flavourful as the others, but it is still used in some places.
Benefits of Green Cardamom
- Green cardamom is known to be a super expensive spice by weight.
- The advantage to this, however, is that you only need a little bit for flavour.
- The best way for you to store this spice is while it is still in its pod because it will stay fresh longer.
- Besides freshness, the seeds will lose their intense flavour if you remove them from the pods.
- There are many ways that we can use this spice and different regions of the world have their signature cardamom recipes.
- Indian cooking is where you will see this spice most commonly used.
- Some people only use it to bake treats and sweetbreads.
- Other places use it as a primary way of spicing coffees and teas.
- We can also use this spice to make spice mixes or Thai curry pastes.
- There are so many more uses than you can easily discover by yourself.
List of Top 10 Best Elaichi or Green Cardamoms in India Buyers Guide
1. Seeds and Hands Wayanad Green Cardamom:
This 100g bag of spice comes directly from Wayanad, Kerala and is authentic Indian cardamom.
- No artificial colouring
- Resealable packaging
- Some pods might be split
2. Manushree Green Cardamom for Tea:
50g of handpicked spice should be on the top of your tea list.
- 100% premium quality
- Low flavour profile
3. Emperor Akbar Green Cardamom:
This manufacturer has special packaging that keeps the spice fresh and full of aroma.
- Authentic Indian cardamom
- Special packaging
- Mixed sizes
4. Dhaani Naturals Green Cardamom:
Pesticide free, this 100g product comes to you directly from the farm.
- Vacuum packed
- No additives
- Some seeds may be dry
5. FarmOwn Green Elaichi:
This high-quality spice comes in a reusable jar and is of the highest quality.
- Reusable packaging
- No preservatives
6. Bose Spices Indian Green Cardamom:
A 1kg bag of spice with a 12-month shelf life should be on your list too.
- 12-month shelf life
- Large amount
- Mixed sizes
7. Chataka Green Cardamom:
Hygienically processed, this product comes in a 50g bag.
- No additives
- Hygienically processed
- Very expensive
8. My Village Green Cardamom:
An organic product should be appealing to any health-conscious person.
- Hygienically packaged
- Some broken pods
9. Amazon Brand Vedaka Cardamom:
It doesn’t matter when you buy this product because it is quality throughout the year.
- No artificial colours
- Also, no preservatives
- Different sizes
10. Pehchan-E-Shahi Fresh & Natural Elaichi:
6-month shelf life and great taste make this product addictive.
- No preservatives
- 100% natural
- Weak packaging
Green Elaichi or green cardamom should have been in your kitchen years ago. Experiment with it and use it to find new flavour profiles that you never imagined before.
What is green cardamom good for?
Many benefits come with eating green Elaichi including relief of nausea, vomiting, and discomfort. We mostly use it as a spice for sweet dishes.
Is cardamom good for your kidneys?
Yes, it has diuretic properties that can help with washing out the urinary system. It will help with the removal of waste and toxins as well.
What happens if you eat cardamom daily?
Nothing bad, you will just be partial to the great health benefits that come from eating it daily.
Is cardamom a laxative?
We can use it as a laxative when it is in the form of cardamom oil.