Cow ghee is also known as purified butter or desi ghee. It is very good when compared to man-made oils because the fatty acid chains present that is easily digestible. Also, it is called as baghaar or chownk.
Ghee is an essential part of Indian cuisine either for cooking or to put as Tarka in lentils or dal. Many people consume vegetable oil or vanaspati ghee in their foods, but those are not organic products and therefore not good for health.
So, if you use either of these products daily, it is better to opt for the healthier option of cow ghee instead of vanaspati ghee. It is also good for people who are lactose intolerant or are trying to lose weight.
Top 12 Best Cow Ghee in India
Buyers Guide – Cow Ghee
- Ghee is a staple food and people use it daily, so you must buy it from authentic sources.
- Many brands and local suppliers sell cow ghee that is impure.
- They usually mix vanaspati ghee or animal fats in it many sellers also sell buffalo milk ghee instead of cow milk ghee.
- However, many suppliers do sell authentic products, and it is very important to know a few things to identify pure cow ghee.
- Keep these points in mind when buying cow ghee.
- Check the label of ghee before buying it also, check it’s making process.
- If the manufacturer is using the traditional bilona method for its preparation, then buy it.
- Natural cow ghee is light yellow and has a good light smell, so if you find it, buy it.
- If the brand is certified and confirm that they are taking milk from grass-fed cows, then buy it.
- Take a small amount of ghee and melt it.
- If it melts rapidly and changes into brownish golden colour then it is pure.
Types of Cow Ghee
There are four different types of ghee or clarified butter available depending on the method used for their manufacturing.
- This is a cooking fat that is used in preparing many food items.
- It gives a buttery flavour to food even if you cook food at high temperatures.
- You can prepare it by heating regular butter at low heat.
- The water content evaporates leaving behind the milk’s solid components.
- This is then strained and the filtered product is clarified butter.
- This is a very common and important part of Indian food and people use it for medicinal purposes, religious ceremonies, and also consume it raw.
- To make ghee, firstly the cow’s milk is fermented to make the curd.
- Then the curd is churned to make the butter that is then heated and then strained to collect dark golden coloured ghee.
- It is the combination of clarified butter with spices such as cumin, turmeric, and fenugreek.
- You can add different spices to give it a specific flavour.
- This is salted clarified butter and has a cheese-like taste.
- To make smen, heat the butter and melt it, then mix it with salt and transfer it to a ceramic jar.
- You can reduce or increase the salt to your taste. This can be stored for a year.
What pure ghee contains?
Cow ghee has a short chain of fatty acids, so it is easily digestible and very good for health. It helps improve many health conditions.
- Pure cow ghee contains antioxidants that increase the ability of the body to absorb nutrients.
- Very good fatty acids present in it that helps in nourishment of skin and improve its texture.
- It has good cholesterol that reduces the risk of heart problems.
- Desi ghee contains butyric acid that is an essential source of energy for the colon.
- So, it is very helpful in treating constipation.
- Desi ghee improves metabolism and removes toxins from the body.
- It, therefore, helps in weight loss.
Top 12 Cow Ghee Brands in India
In old times, women used to make ghee in their homes. But now, many brands are selling good quality readymade ghee. In this article, we will tell you more about cow ghee and provide a list of top brands.
1. Patanjali Cow’s Ghee:
This ghee is the best for people who have indigestion and liver problems. You can also take this ghee to overcome body dryness. As this ghee is made from cow’s milk, it is better for heart patients as compared to buffalo and vanaspati ghee.
- The ghee is light yellow and has a granular texture
- It contains short-chain fatty acids that are easily digestible and good for health.
- This ghee is also helpful in strengthening the body, improving memory, and detoxifying the body.
- It has a mixture of dalda
2. Aashirvaad Svasti Ghee:
This ghee is made of pure cow milk. It is made on slow heat to prevent the degradation of nutrients and retain its good aroma and taste. The package comes in a 1-litre box.
- It gives a very pleasant taste and aroma to food
- The quality of the ghee is very good and has a good texture
- It will enhance the taste of your sweets and daily food.
- Some customers claim that it smells like vegetable ghee (dalda) and not cow ghee
3. Mother Dairy Cow Ghee:
This is one of the best products on our list. It comes in a 1-litre pack. It is healthy ghee that is fortified with vitamin A. Therefore, it is very good for improving vision, immune system, and bone building.
- This ghee price is very low as compared to other brands
- Its taste is the same as homemade ghee
- The smell of the ghee is not good
- Many customers complain about the quality
4. A2 Cow Ghee from Grass-Fed Desi Sahiwal Cow’s Milk:
This is pure cow ghee that is made from the curd in the traditional Indian bilona method. You can get 500ml ghee in one package and the ghee is of great quality. It is gluten-free ghee that is good for health, improves digestion, and has an amazing taste.
- This ghee is made from the milk of grass-feed Sahiwal A2 cows.
- The aroma of the ghee is also very good
- Also, the taste of this ghee is good
- Many customers received a broken-seal pack
- The customers claim that it is the mixture of desi ghee with coconut oil or dalda
5. Anveshan A2 Vedic Bilona Cow Ghee in Glass Jar:
This is also very pure cow ghee that comes in 500ml package. It is made by the traditional method. The ghee is made without the addition of any additives or food colours.
It is gluten-free ghee that is easy to digest and also suitable for the people having lactose-intolerance. This ghee comes in a glass jar.
- Anveshan A2 ghee is full of nutrients and made from the milk of Indian cows.
- It is authentic ghee having original taste and aroma
- The texture of the ghee is also good and slightly granular just like the original one
- The texture of the ghee is runny leads to doubts in purity
6. Talegaon Farms Ghee:
This is also pure ghee that is free from gluten, sugar, and preservatives. The milk is collected from different farms where the cows graze freely and then the ghee is made by the traditional method.
- This is the most authentic desi ghee having the proper texture of natural cow ghee
- It comes in half-kg bottle packing.
- The taste and aroma of the ghee are amazing
- It is expensive
- The quality of the ghee is gradually deteriorating
7. Gits Pure Cow Ghee:
This ghee comes in a 500ml jar. It is pure ghee that is free from preservatives, colour, and scent. This is good for health because it contains natural vitamins.
- Gits cow ghee is a very good source of vitamins A and D
- It is pure ghee at a reasonable price
- The ghee doesn’t have an aroma
8. Jharna Ghee:
This has a very delicious taste, good aroma, and granular texture. It comes in a packing of 500ml. This is a must-have product in Bengali households and restaurants.
- Jharna cow ghee has an amazing taste and aroma
- This is authentic Bengali ghee prepared from pure cow milk butter.
- The packing of ghee is also good
- Some customers claimed that it has a mixture of vanaspati ghee that gives it a bad aroma
9. Trihoot Cow Ghee:
This contains omega-3 and omega-9 fatty acids along with vitamin A, E, and D, and minerals making it very good for health. The jar weighs 500 grams and you can use it within 6 months of the manufacturing date.
- This is pure desi ghee that is not only good for cooking but also good for medicinal purposes.
- It tastes and smells like original ghee that is made at home
- The colour and texture of the ghee are also good
- The ghee is slightly overcooked
10. Vanalaya Organic A2 Desi Gir Cow Ghee:
This is pure ghee made from the traditional bilona method. It is 100% natural and does not have lactose so suitable for lactose-intolerant people. This comes in a 400ml package.
- This is pure ghee that contains A2 proteins from A2 Indian cows.
- The quality of the ghee is very good
- Also, the taste and aroma are amazing
- Some customers found plastic wrapper pieces in the bottle
- This ghee is more expensive than others
11. NUTRIMOO Pure & Natural Cow Ghee | Real Cow Milk Ghee:
This ghee is made by fermenting milk to make the curd. Then the butter is made from the curd and heated at 107°Celsius to make ghee from butter. This is made by the traditional method.
It is the best ghee for children and adults. Also, it is very good for health, skin, and hair.
- This is 100 per cent pure ghee that comes in 1-litre packing.
- The taste of this ghee is good and has a light aroma
- This pack price is also affordable
- The ghee is free from additives and chemicals and is full of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- The texture of the ghee is runny even at low temperature
12. Umanac Organic Cow Ghee:
This is another amazing ghee that comes in a 500ml package. It is very good for health because it contains omega-3, omega-9 fatty acids and vitamin A, K, E, and D. This is free from salts, sugar, hormones, and additives.
- This ghee is pure and made from the traditional method.
- It is purely organic cow ghee that is full of nutrients
- The taste and smell of the ghee is good
- The ghee has a slightly burnt smell
- The price of the product is swiftly increasing
You cannot take a risk with your health by eating inorganic or poor quality oils available in the market. If you don’t have the time to make cow ghee at home then try the products from our suggested list.
Always go for pure products. We hope you find this article was informative and helped you choose the best cow ghee.
Is cow ghee good for health?
Ghee is a form of butter, so it is good for your health. Ghee is a good fat that helps to alkaline the pH of the GI tract and improves the health of the small intestine. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids that are good for health.
Why does ghee smell bad?
Ghee smells bad if you don’t treat it properly. If particles of buttermilk remain in it during the making process it will make it rancid. Also, if you place it in direct sunlight, it will deteriorate and smell bad.
How can we identify pure ghee?
Melt a small amount of ghee on the stove. If it melts quickly and changes its colour to brownish, then it is pure ghee. But if it takes time to melt and turns yellow after melting, then it is inorganic ghee.
Should I refrigerate ghee?
It is not necessary. You can easily place it outside in a dark place for about 9 months.
Which ghee is best for a baby?
It is good to make ghee at your home for your baby. It is not a difficult task and it will be the most reliable organic and healthy ghee devoid of any possible additives.