A flowering vine in the Piperaceae family contains fruits called Peppercorns. Peppercorns are berries containing a large seed covered with thin skin and contain very little fruit. The Black Peppercorns are present in the form of green berries on the vine. These berries when ripen, are harvested and later dried.
Also check the buyer’s guide for Best White Pepper Powder brands, pepper powder, long pepper brands, Best black Elaichi, Green cardamom, Best cloves-laungh, Best Dal Chini Brands & elaichi powder brands in India.
After this the processing of pepper takes place in industries and then reaches our kitchen counters, making our foods taste finger-licking good. Therefore, Black Peppercorns are dried, unripe, and cooked seeds. Peppercorns can be found in tropical regions especially India. In this article, everything related to Black Peppercorns is viewed to make choosing the best Black Peppercorns easier for you.
List of Top 10 Best Peppercorns Brand in India
Types of Black Peppercorns
Lampong (origin: Indonesia)
- These Black Peppercorns have a burning taste that evolves into a more intense heat on the tongue.
- They bear strong citrusy aromas; woodsy, pine notes.
- It does not taste like the most intense peppercorn, and it definitely bears more aroma than flavor.
- It is used for complementing beef steaks as it contains prominent aromas and spicy flavor.
- This pepper also accommodates a mild flavor but also quite eminent odor.
- It also has diverse aromas and flavors.
- The fruit of this Peppercorn is described as citrus, fennel, and parsley.
- The pleasant, smooth and rich mellow flavor compliments black tea, smoke, and wood.
- They are the type of Peppercorns that hold immense demand in the international market.
- This type of peppercorn has an appealingly bold taste.
- A pervasive bite gives way to a milder, easygoing, and sweetish flavor.
- Brazilian Peppercorn contains mild citrus and herbal notes.
- Due to its strong opening notes, you shouldn’t add them to blends.
Talamanca (origin: Ecuador)
- This Peppercorn endures smells inconsistent with the smells of other types of Peppercorns.
- There is a powerful taste present.
- There is a sour flavor having a bitter finish and a chili-like spice with smoke aromas.
- It is excellent in spice blends mainly those having a citrus facet.
Sarawak (origin: Malaysia)
- This Peppercorn has a camphoraceous, earthy aroma with a soft flavor.
- It’s a sweetish, chrysotile pepper having slight sweetness with an abrupt aroma.
- Carrying elements of spice and sweetness, using them to flavor barbeques, is a good choice.
Buyer’s Guide – Black Peppercorns
With the drastic advancement in the global market, the varieties of different products have doubled than before! Knowing and choosing the product right for you can become a challenge and a tiring job. Therefore, in this article, I’ve listed a guide so you can choose the best for yourself.
- There is immense diversity found in Peppercorns thus it is better to perform a taste and smell test to see what you like best.
- If you head over to a store that has a large selection and will sell in small quantities, you can pick up a few versions to see what you like best.
- Although the full flavor is not released until the shell is cracked open, it is still possible to get some idea of what you can look forward to simply by smell.
- Read the ingredients carefully and make sure that the Peppercorns are organic.
- Many companies add chemical additives which harm health.
- It is best to buy them in smaller quantities more often, rather than buying in bulk because some flavors and aroma might disturb you.
- Carefully read the nutritional and health benefits of spices.
- Many people don’t consider the nutritional composition of spices maybe because they seem like such a small part of our diets.
- However, many spices have health benefits to offer, including pepper’s ability to work as an antioxidant and, antibacterial agent.
How to use Black Peppercorns?
- Peppercorns are used as a whole, crushed or grounded to provide flavor and aroma to multiple foods.
- They can be used as a whole in porridge, soups, stews, or as a part of a bouquet garni.
- Additionally, whole Peppercorns are also used to spice up sausages.
- The light crushing of Peppercorns releases spiciness.
- Cracked or lightly crushed Peppercorns are used for seasoning steaks and chicken breasts or to add spice to sauces.
- The flavor and taste of Peppercorns might diminish while cooking hence it must be added after the food is cooked.
List of Top 10 Best Black Peppercorns Brands in India
1. Black Peppercorns (Kali Mirch), 100g
- Natural ingredients as no artificial and chemical preservatives present.
- Superior Quality.
- Undergoes various lab tests to meet safety norms.
- Ingesting large amounts during pregnancy is unsafe as it might cause abortion.
- Too much intake can increase the risk of diabetes and high blood pressure.
2. Private Brand Black Peppercorn (Kali Mirch), 200g
- Consistency in quality throughout the year.
- Entirely organic with no artificial flavor present.
- Adds flavor and essence to foods.
- Too much intake can cause headaches and migraines in some people.
- It might cause a burning sensation on the tongue after consumption.
3. Black Pepper (Kaali Mirch), (900)
- Pure and organic with no chemical additives or artificial flavor.
- Makes meals nutritious and spicy.
- Can be stored for a long time in a cool place without getting damaged.
- Piperine, a chemical found in black pepper might slow blood clotting.
- Taking large amounts of pepper by mouth can accidentally get into the lungs and cause death.
4. Black Pepper (Whole) / Sabut Kali Mirch 100g
- Quality packaging.
- It has authentic Indian taste.
- No chemical additives or preservatives are added.
- It may lead to gastral mucosal injury thereby causing gastric bleeding.
- If consumed in ample amounts it can raise the sugar level of the blood and increase the risk of diabetes.
5. Black Pepper Whole Organic Pepper Corn (Kali Mirch Sabut) 250 m Grade – Big Size
- 100 percent organic and natural with no artificial additives or preservatives added.
- Adds flavor, taste, aroma, and nutrition to your meals.
- If stored in a cool place it stays consistent throughout the year.
- The Piperine in black pepper may interfere with coadministered drugs causing adverse effects.
- If taking in ample amounts in pregnancy, it can lead to complications.
6. Black Pepper Whole Organic Pepper Corn (Kali Mirch Sabut) 1Kg Grade – Big Size
- Quality packaging used to retain freshness, aroma and original flavor.
- Grown without the use of chemical pesticides.
- Adds taste and nutritional benefits to your meals.
- The compound called Piperine may damage male fertility.
- It may also cause skin redness if consumed too much.
7. Special Extra Bold Black Peppercorns/Kali Mirch | 100% Pure & Natural | Pesticide Free | Kerala Origin (150g)
- It is natural and pure with no artificial flavor.
- It makes food healthy and nutritious.
- The manufacturing of this product takes place exclusively in India.
- The Piperine in black pepper is an irritant. Inhaling the smell of black pepper can irritate the nerve endings in the nasal mucous membrane.
- If taken in ample amounts it can increase the sugar level in the blood and increase the risk of diabetes.
8. Black Pepper (Kali Mirch) Bold 500gm
- No GMO used in production.
- Has authentic color, flavor, and aroma.
- Manufactured in native India.
- May cause your body to over absorb drugs.
- Too much consumption leads to headaches and dizziness.
9. Black Pepper Seed 50g (Pack of 2)
- Best quality of pepper with Indian origin.
- Pure and natural with no artificial flavors.
- If stored in a cool place it stays consistent throughout the year.
- May irritate the nerve endings present in the nasal membrane making you sneeze.
- If taken in ample amounts it can enter the lungs causing respiratory complications.
10. Black Pepper Whole/Pepper Corn/Kali Mirch, 1kg.
- 100 percent natural pepper manufactured in India.
- This black pepper holds numerous health benefits and adds flavor to food.
- Remains consistent throughout the year.
- If taken in ample amounts it can be hazardous and cause gastral bleeding.
- May irritate skin and nerve endings present in the nasal membrane.
Viewing all the essential knowledge present in this article, you will be able to determine the best black pepper regarding your needs. You can read it thoroughly so that you are well aware of its health benefits as well as adverse effects before using it in your daily life.
What does Black Pepper do for the body?
If consumed in the right amounts, it contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which can help boost your Cholesterol level and metabolism and also maintain blood sugar level. In addition to that, it can helps the functioning of brain and maintains gut health.
Why is Black Pepper so expensive?
From 2001 onwards, the price of pepper started falling significantly. Later in 2008, due to a bumper crop from Vietnam prices started to increase. Since 2008, prices have continued to rise. Back in 2006 pepper traded for $1,500 a ton; now it’s around $12,000 a ton depending on origin and variety.
What are the side effects of Black Pepper?
If taken in ample amounts it can cause gastral bleeding, skin irritation, and redness, complications in pregnancy, damage sperm count in men, irritate nerve endings present in the nasal membrane and can enter lungs causing fatal damage.
Is Black Pepper bad for your kidneys?
If you are diagnosed with a condition called Calcium Oxalate Kidney Stones, then your doctor might ask you to limit foods that contain a higher oxalate concentration such as black pepper.
Is Black Pepper Good for high BP?
According to a study published in “Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology”, the compound named Piperine can aid in controlling high blood pressure.