Bike engine oil serves the purpose of lubricating the bike engine. This translates into less friction, which in turn leads to more efficient operation and longer engine life. The oil also helps in keeping the bike engine clean. That in turn leads to better engine performance. At yet another level, the oil can reduce corrosion in the engine. To the extent that it is able to do that, it improves engine performance greatly.
Another area where bike engine oil can be helpful is that of heat dissipation. Therefore the oil helps in keeping the bike engine from overheating. That leads to excellent engine performance and better drivability. The oil can further be helpful at reducing bike engine noise levels. And it can get the transmission (including the wet clutches) to operate smoothly.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Engine Guard for the bike in India.
List of Top 10 Best Bike Engine Oils in India
Features of Bike Engine Oil
- One key feature in a bike engine oil product is its viscosity.
- This determines how easily the oil flows, as well as its usefulness as a lubricant.
- Another key feature in a bike engine oil product is its flashpoint.
- This is typically given in (temperature) degrees.
- Yet another important feature in a bike engine oil product is its stability.
- From this, you can tell how well the oil will work under various operating conditions.
- The oil’s detergent and disposal properties matter as well.
Types of Bike Engine Oil
- There are synthetic bike engine oils.
- Then there are semi-synthetic bike engine oils.
- We also have natural/organic bike engine oils.
- We have oils that are meant for use on certain specific bikes.
- Then we have others that are ideal for use with a broader range of bikes/with all bikes.
- There are bike engine oils with long drain intervals.
- Then there are others with shorter drain intervals.
How to use Bike Engine Oil?
- Firstly, you need to warm up your bike, in order to make the oil in it thinner.
- Then you should drain the oil that was already in the bike.
- This you do by opening the oil release bolt, then adjusting the drain pan.
- After draining the oil that was already in the bike, you also need to remove the old oil filter.
- Then replace it with a new one.
- Thereafter, you need to measure the right amount of bike engine oil.
- Then open the engine oil screw.
- Thereafter, pour the new engine oil into the right place, ideally using a funnel to reduce spillage.
- Finally, you need to close the engine oil screw.
- Then wipe/clean the bike up.
Buyers guide for Bike Engine Oil
- Firstly, you need to ensure that the oil you buy is fully compatible with your bike’s engine.
- Secondly, you need to ensure that the oil you buy offers genuine protection to the bike.
- Consider the quality tests the oil has actually passed, as well as its specifications.
- Thirdly, you need to consider the engine oil price.
- This doesn’t mean necessarily going for the cheapest oil you can find.
- On the contrary, you just need to ensure that the bike engine oil price you pay is fair.
- Pay attention to the oil’s volume in comparison to the price it is being sold at.
List of Top 10 Best Bike Engine Oils in India Buyers Guide
1. Motul 3000 API (SM HC Tech) Bike Engine Oil
Viscosity is 20W40. Volume is 1 liter.
- Works well even under high-temperature conditions
- Price is quite low
- It has good engine protection capabilities
- It May not be very ideal for engines above 150 cc
- Packaging is rather basic
2. Shell Advance AX7 API SM (Synthetic Technology) Motorbike Engine Oil
Viscosity is 10W40. Quantity is 1 liter.
- It is a very clean oil
- Works for reasonably long before requiring draining/replacement
- Offers some engine start-up protection
- Price is quite high
- Some may not like the fact that it is a fully synthetic oil
3. Castrol Activ 4T Petrol Engine Oil for Bikes
Promises 3x protection. Viscosity is 20W-40.
- Effective at removing engine deposits
- It has a good thermal resistance
- Packaging is good
- Only suitable for a relatively small range of bike engines
- It May not work perfectly under very extreme weather conditions
4. HP Lubricants – 370049 API SL Motorcycle Engine Oil
What you get here is 1 liter of oil. It has 20w40 viscosity.
- Price is rather low
- Works well with a broad range of bike engines
- Drain interval is longer
- Bottle may sometimes have slight leakage issues if not well handled
- Application may be somewhat challenging (under certain conditions) due to viscosity
5. Mobil Super Moto API SL 4T Premium Tech Engine Oil for Bikes
Designed to lubricate, clean, and protect the engine fully. Viscosity rating is 10w30.
- It has decent corrosion protection ability
- Price is within most bike owners’ reach
- It has good oxidation and thermal stability
- Shelf life may be quite modest
- Draining this oil off from certain bike engines may be a challenge
6. Savsol Ultra 4T API SL JASO MA2 Engine Oil for Bikes
Ideal for use in high-performance bikes. Volume is the standard 1 liter.
- This is a reasonably priced engine oil
- Viscosity range is quite broad
- Packaging is excellent
- May require frequent replacement
- Oil smell may be somewhat off-putting initially
7. Waxpol Force P 4T API-SL 4 Stroke Engine Oil
The volume is 1.2 liters. Viscosity is 20W50.
- Protects against sludge formation quite well
- Thermal stability is good
- Volume is higher than average
- Price is relatively high
- It May does not work well with certain types of bike engines
8. GULF POWERTRAC 4T SAE Synthetic Engine Oil for Motorcycles
What you get here is 900 ml of oil. The oil is of the synthetic variety.
- This is a universal oil product (ideal for use on a wide range of bike engines)
- It has good anti-wear properties
- It comes in good quality packaging
- Price is on the higher side
- Volume is modest (at 900 ml)
9. CANDICE Twin Turbo Motion Line API SN Semi-Synthetic Motorcycles Engine Oil
The viscosity range is 10W30. The oil is of semi-synthetic variety.
- It is a relatively clean oil
- Doesn’t lose viscosity even under extreme temperatures
- It has good stability
- May require frequent changing
- Price is relatively high
10. Nivrol Prime 4T Engine Oil For Four Stroke Bikes
What you get here is a 900 ml bottle of oil. It has a 20W40 viscosity range.
- It is a highly affordable oil product
- The bottle is not prone to any leaking
- Versatile: works well for both mainstream and utility bikes
- Volume is only 900 ml
- It May does not work perfectly under very extreme weather conditions
Your bike’s engine performance depends to a great extent on the quality of oil you use on it. This guide can help you in identifying and buying the best possible bike engine oil.
Which engine oil is best for bike?
One that offers good protection, has long drain intervals and has good thermal as well as oxidation stability.
What is the grade of bike engine oil?
There are 11 grades, ranging from 0W to 60W.
What is the price of bike engine oil?
Bike engine oil price mostly ranges from 240 to 700 rupees.