Bike chain spray protects the chain from corrosion. It also protects the chain from wearing out. That ultimately translates into longer useful life for the chain. Thanks to the spray, you can make your bike chain last twice as long as it would otherwise have lasted. At another level, bike chain spray can prevent the chain elongation effect. This translates into better performance for the bike.
If your bike chain has been making too much noise, bike chain sprays can help resolve that issue. Yet another area where bike chain sprays help is that of ridding the chain of grease and dust. This in turn makes the chain more efficient in its operation. Once excess grease and dust particles are removed from the chain, it requires less effort to move. The bike can therefore move at a higher speed with less pedaling effort.
Top 10 Best Bike Chain Sprays in India-Buyers Guide
Features of Bike Chain Spray
- One of the features that matter in bike chain sprays is the core chemical formulation.
- What is the main material used in making the specific bike chain spray? This determines the spray’s capability to rid the chain of excess grease and dust. It also determines the spray’s ability to prevent chain elongation.
- Another feature that matters in bike chain sprays is the nature of additives in them.
- These enhance the effect of the core chemical formulation.
- They determine things like the spray’s capability to keep the chain quiet, as well as the spray’s penetration capacity.
- Yet another feature that matters in bike chain sprays is the required re-lubrication interval.
- The best bike chain sprays have long re-lubrication intervals.
- This means that after doing an application at a given point in time, you can go for long without reapplying.
- The spray’s effect on the chain remains all along.
Types of Bike Chain Spray
- There are four major types of bike chain sprays. Those are wax lube sprays, wet lube sprays, ceramic lube sprays, and dry lube sprays.
- The wax lube sprays have great performance, but their application can be difficult.
- The dry lube sprays are ideal for use in dry conditions. They have low viscosity and tend to be quite cheap.
- But then again, they wash off very easily (hence may require frequent reapplication).
- Ceramic lube sprays have superb friction reduction capabilities. But they tend to be quite costly.
- Finally, the web lube sprays are ideal for use in wet conditions.
- They have high viscosity, which means that they don’t wash out too fast.
- You can stay for long without the need to reapply if you opt for web lube spray.
- But then again, their higher viscosity can attract more grime and translate into somewhat lowered efficiency.
How to use a Bike Chain Spray?
- The first step is to get your bike onto a work-stand.
- The second step is to wipe off the grime from the chain, in readiness for spray application.
- Don’t apply on a chain that has grime. Use a rag to thoroughly remove grime from the entire chain length.
- The third step is to slowly apply the bike chain spray on each and every chain link.
- Use the pedal to move the chain along. Take note of the point (within the chain) where you started the application.
- Ensure you go all the way around, to get to that point again.
- After applying the bike chain sprays, use the pedal to move the chain backward several times.
- This you would be doing to allow the bike chain spray to seep in fully.
Buying guide for Bike Chain Spray
- Go for bike chain sprays that are ideal for the conditions in which you usually operate the bike.
- For instance, if you usually operate the bike in wet conditions, you can go for a wet lube spray.
- If you normally operate the bike in dry and dusty conditions, you can go for a dry lube spray… and so on.
- Consider the ease with which the bike chain spray you buy can be applied.
- The best sprays come with nozzles that make application very easy.
- Research to get insights on bike chain sprays price. Then select a spray whose price is appropriate.
- Make a decision on whether to purchase the bike chain spray online or in a local store.
- Remember, if you opt to go online, you will probably have a broader bike chain spray array to choose from.
List of Top 10 Best Bike Chain Sprays in India-Buyers Guide
1. Motul C2 Combo Chain Lube
What you get here are two spray bottles, each with 150 ml content. It is suitable for use with all bikes.
- Can improve gear chain durability greatly
- Has good stability
- Price is reasonably low
- The application can be a time-consuming affair
- Some may feel that the lube is too light for some conditions
2. Castrol Chain Lube Spray
Castrol sprays At 400ml, this is a reasonably big spray bottle. It can be used on both O-ring and Standard X chains.
- Reduces sprocket wear considerably
- Compatible with all chain types
- Reasonably easy to apply
- You have to wait for 10-20 minutes after application to use the bike
- Price is somewhat higher
3. Liqui Moly White Chain Lube
What you get here is a fully synthetic bike chain spray. The bottle contains 400 ml of it.
- Has long-lasting effect (doesn’t require frequent reapplication)
- Works well even in harsh conditions
- Doesn’t attract grime
- Relatively costly bike chain spray
- Washes off quite easily (hence can be tricky to use in very wet conditions)
4. OKS German Chain Lube Spray
OKS lube spray is a reasonably sized (500 ml) chain lube spray bottle. Particularly good at quieting noisy chains.
- The bottle has designed for easy application
- The spray has fortification for excellent performance
- Price is relatively low
- High viscosity can attract some grime
- Can be tricky to use in very dry conditions
5. G GLOSIL Bikes Chain Lube Spray
G GLOSIL lube spray is another low price spray with decent capability for performance. It comes in a 500ml bottle.
- Quite good at fighting corrosion
- Price is low enough for most people
- Application routine is quite easy
- May need rather a frequent reapplication
- Has the limited capacity to reduce chain elongation effect
6. Wuerth Chain Lube Spray
Wuerth lube spray is certainly among the most affordable bike chain sprays. But the bottle is of modest size, at 150 ml.
- Can be used on pins and points (besides the chain)
- Works with all bike types
- Price is within almost everyone’s reach
- Volume is rather low, at 150 ml
- The application procedure is painstaking
7. Kangaroo Liquid Grease Spray
What you get here is 500ml of heavy-duty bike chain spray. It is particularly effective at ridding the bike of squeaky noises.
- Has spraying application mechanism (you don’t have to dirty hands)
- Adequate volume (500ml)
- Considerably low price
- May tend to attract a bit of grime
- Getting the lube to fully seep into the chain can be tricky
8. OKS Chain Cleaner Degreaser Spray
OKS spray comes in 500 ml. It is particularly good at removing grime particles from the bike chain, for more efficient operation.
- Versatile (can also be used on vehicle clutch/brake, besides working as bike chain spray)
- Has both cleaning and lubrication capacity
- Price is still within the affordable range for most people
- Not particularly easy to apply
- You may have to wait for a while, after application, before you can ride the bike again
9. SERVLENE® Degreaser and Chain Cleaner
What you get here is a reasonably big (400 ml) can of bike chain spray. It is also quite eco-friendly.
- It is a water-soluble product
- Good volume (400ml)
- Considerably easy to apply
- Packaging is rather basic
- It May be tricky to use in places with very high corrosion
10. Vista Chain Lube
Vista Chain lube is available as a 500ml spray bottle. It has an adhesive base, for a long-lasting effect.
- Suitable for use with all bike chain types
- Packaging is excellent
- Seeps into the whole chain fully and fast
- May end up attracting grime with time
- Requires frequent reapplication for a lasting effect
A good bike chain spray can improve your bike’s chain efficiency and longevity. When shopping for a good bike chain spray in India, this guide should be helpful.
What should I spray on my bike chain?
There are specialized bike chain sprays you can use to improve chain efficiency and clean grime.
What is the price range of the bike chain spray?
Bike chain spray price range is from 150 to 1800 Indian rupees: depending on quantity and quality.