Basmati is special quality rice grown primarily in South Asia. Predominantly it is grown in the region of India and Pakistan. Basmati is a premium quality rice that is believed to taste better than the best rice in the world.
The long grain with the rich aroma captivates the diner as well as the cook. While this rice may be grown elsewhere in the world, most believe that the best quality and most aromatic variants are sown in India and Pakistan. Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Electric Rice Cookers, Rice Bran Oil, Electric kettles, Microwave ovens, OTG Ovens, Induction stoves, Electric stoves, Electric Tandoors, groundnut oil, sunflower oil, Soyabean oil, and mustard oil in India.
Now that we have you craving for it, let us walk you through a guide on basmati rice and the top brands available online.
Top 10 Best Basmati Rice in India
Buyers Guide – Basmati Rice
There are just a few things you need to consider before buying rice. Also, make note that the choice, to a large extent, depends on personal taste.
- Most people have a distinct personal preference when it comes to food items.
- Some people prefer extremely spicy meals, while others are content with just a pinch of salt.
- The taste description is usually mentioned on the package.
- If it is not there, then go with the standard rice as it has a neutral taste.
- Or perhaps buy a small number of different types and choose the one that you love most.
- Every state in India has different food certifications.
- Indeed, check out the certification stamps and accreditations on the package.
- Make sure that the rice you buy is per your state policy.
- Compare the prices before you choose a brand.
- You will come across some extremely expensive varieties as well as some super cheap rice brands.
- If you are experimenting for the first time, we suggest you choose the mid-priced variety.
- Basmati rice may not be perfect for every meal type.
- Make sure to read the recipe and the ingredients before getting it.
Features to Keep in Mind While Choosing Basmati Rice
Basmati rice is superior to many other variants available.
Here are some of the splendid features that make it different from the rest of the varieties:
- One of the prominent features is its long grain.
- Along with that, the strength of each grain is more than the standard rice.
- There is a distinct aroma in it.
- It is unlike any other type of rice.
- Indeed, this is a major reason it is considered supreme high-quality rice.
- Another fundamental feature is the separation quality.
- Rice grains tend to stick to each other when cooked, but that is not the case with basmati.
- When cooked, each grain is separate.
Types of Basmati Rice
It is available in numerous varieties. In India alone, there are 13 varieties.
- Standard basmati
- Basmati of Punjab (P3)
- Uttar Pradesh basmati (type-3)
- Safidon basmati (HBC-19)
- Haryana basmati (variant 386)
- Kasturi of Rajasthan
- Basmati of Muradabad 6465
- Basmati of Bihar 270
- Kasturi basmati
- Mahi Suganda
- Pusa 1121
All these variants set a different standard of taste, aroma, and cooking experience. Indeed, every type is best on its own.
Further, the types or variants of basmati rice in other countries have different standards. Also, the grain length of every type is somewhat different.
How to cook Basmati Rice?
Basmati rice is easy to cook. All that you have to do is to cook it the standard way, but please note they take less time to cook.
- Begin by soaking the rice in water for some time.
- If you are making plain rice, boil the water in a pot depending on the rice quantity.
- Once the water begins boiling add in the rice and reduce the flame.
- Let the rice cook.
- As we said earlier, they will not take much time to cook.
- You will notice that the rice is well separated and clean.
- Clean in a way that they look sharp and smell great.
- That’s it, your rice is ready.
Of course, there are many recipes out there to make different rice dishes, so follow the instructions and you should have a great rice dish ready to devour within no time.
List of Top 10 Best Basmati Rice in India Buyers Guide
1. Daawat Rozana super basmati rice:
As the name implies, with Daawat Rozana biryani rice, you can have a grand feast every day. This economical rice lets you enjoy the delights of basmati rice daily.
- Lower in price
- The bigger pack is slightly cheaper than the smaller pack
- Cooks well
- Some consumers report that they found broken rice grains in the packet
- A few consumers complain about the deteriorating quality of this brand
2. Kohinoor Charminar everyday rice:
This economical basmati rice lets you enjoy festive meals every day. You do not have to wait for special occasions.
- Available in two package quantities – 1 and 5 kg
- Cheaper in price than several other brands
- Perfect for every rice dish
- A few consumers report that they received a rice package with broken grains
- Some users complain about the taste
3. Daawat Devaaya basmati rice:
Daawat rice without artificial taste enhancers is always great. They do not cause any health issues and their taste is also fantastic. It is one such brand that claims to not have any artificial colour or food enhancers.
- Daawat Devaaya is free of pesticides
- No inorganic taste enhancer and colour
- Some older customers of this brand say that the quality has deteriorated
- More expensive than some other brands
4. Kohinoor super value authentic basmati rice:
Kohinoor super value basmati has something special for its buyers. The 1 kg pack has 20% extra rice in it. Further, this is a premium quality rice from a trusted brand.
- Available in 2 packaging quantities
- High-quality rice
- Premium quality, thus expensive
- Some consumers report that the packaged rice is old and appears to be repacked
5. Fortune Rozana basmati rice:
If you cook rice every day, then you should opt for Fortune Rozana basmati.
- Can cook several recipes
- Packed in a neat and hygienic way
- Reasonable price
- Some consumers report that they received expired packages
- A few consumers say that the quality does not match the basmati standard
6. Fortune Special biryani basmati rice:
Want to have biryani? Then go for the Fortune special biryani rice. Easy separation, long-grain, and the perfect aroma of this biryani rice enhance the taste and texture of biryani.
- Specially made for biryani
- Easy separation in the rice
- Longer rice grains
- Pretty expensive
- Some consumers doubt the authenticity of this product
7. SHRILALMAHAL Empire basmati rice:
This strictly premium quality is even more expensive than other premium quality rice brands. However, the manufacturer ensures that the quality is super-premium.
- Available in 3 different packaging quantities
- The taste quality, aroma, and texture of rice grain are great
- Healthier than other options
- Extremely expensive
- Some consumers are not satisfied with the quality
8. Amazon Brand – Vedaka Super Basmati Rice:
Vedaka super rice is certified by FSSAI and FSSC 22000. Along with that, the brand claims that the rice is packed hygienically.
- Certified and accredited rice
- Packaging quality is fine
- Reasonable price
- Several consumers complain that this is plain rice with no basmati scent or taste
- Similar to the standard rice types
9. India Gate basmati rice pouch:
This rice is conveniently packaged so that you don’t have to decant the rice in another container if you don’t have one. Just open the packet, take out the quantity you’d like, and then re-seal the packet.
- Great packaging
- Available in 1 and 5 kg packs
- Consumers appreciate its taste
- Too expensive
- Broken rice grains in some packets
10. INDIA KHAAS premium basmati rice:
The INDIA KHAAS presents a premium quality basmati rice. The manufacturer claims that its rice grain is longer than the standard rice. However, it is more expensive than many other brands.
- This rice is aged
- Premium quality, which equals export standards
- Pure and does not include a mixture of other rice types
- Only available in 5 kg pack
We hope this guide will have provided you with the information you need on basmati rice. Also, the top 10 list will hopefully help you choose the right one based on your taste and budget.
What is so special about basmati rice?
Basmati is a world-renowned premium quality rice. This is because of its long grains, distinct aroma, and classic texture.
Is basmati rice bad for health?
This rice is not bad for health. Instead, it is good for health as it has less cholesterol and glycaemic index (GI).
Why is basmati rice so expensive?
Preparing this rice is a time-consuming process. First, the farmers have to do the cultivation, then they have to harvest the crop.
After which, the rice has to be aged and supplied to the market. The entire process adds up to the cost of this rice.
Which is the best rice for daily use?
Basmati rice can be consumed every day, but it is slightly expensive compared to the other variants. Its texture, aroma, and taste make it truly unforgettable. Also, cooking this rice is pretty easy and it cooks quickly.
Does basmati rice raise blood sugar?
It does not raise blood sugar. Instead, it helps in keeping the sugar regulated. This type of rice has the lowest GI, which results in a steady flow of energy. As a result, the sugar does not increase.