The net is one of the three key gameplay elements in badminton. The other two are the racquet and the shuttlecock. In any badminton game, the objective is to get the shuttlecock across the net. That is something you attempt to do after hitting the shuttlecock with the racquet. Thus, it is the net that separates the individuals or teams playing badminton. It is impossible to play a proper game of badminton without having a net.
The badminton net is at the center of the court where the game is to take place. It, therefore, separates the court into two halves: one for each individual (or team) taking part in the game. The net has to be attached to poles, normally using strings that are provided. It attaches in a manner that ensures that there is no gap between the net’s ends and the poles. Once the net is properly set up on the poles, the game of badminton can start.
Top 10 Best Badminton Nets in India
Features of a Badminton Net
- The length and width are important features in a net.
- At the very least, the length and width should be adequate to cover a standard size court.
- The materials through which the net attaches to the poles matter.
- They should be sturdy and capable of multiple times usage without breaking.
- Portability is another important feature in a badminton net.
- In this regard, the design of the best badminton nets is such that they are easily folded and carried around.
- Versatility is yet another important feature in a badminton net.
- The best badminton nets are also suitable for use in other sports like tennis, volleyball, and squash.
Types of Badminton Net
- There are standard size badminton nets. Then there are badminton nets that are not of standard size.
- There are some badminton nets that are only suitable for indoor use.
- Then there are badminton nets that are suitable for outdoor use.
- Most badminton nets are made using nylon mesh.
- But there are others whose core material is either vinyl or polyester.
- In most badminton nets, the ropes for attachment to poles are made using nylon.
- But there are some that come with steel cables for attachment to poles.
How to setup a Badminton Net?
- After receiving the net, the first step is to unwrap it from the packaging.
- You then need to attach the ropes/cables with which the net is to be tied to the poles.
- This of course only applies if the net does not already come attached to the ropes.
- The next step is to attach the net to the poles.
- Ensure you don’t leave a gap between the net and the poles.
- After attaching the net to the poles, go ahead and fix the poles to the ground.
- The final step is to adjust the height of the net so that it can be suitable for play.
Buying Guide for Badminton Net
- The most important thing to inquire about while buying a net is size.
- Ensure that the net is of standard size.
- Or at least ensure that the net is big enough for the use you have in mind.
- Check both the net’s height and width.
- You also need to consider the net core material.
- If that is nylon mesh (as is usually the case) check the quality/thickness.
- Ensure that it is likely to last lost.
- And ensure that the net openings are small enough that the shuttlecock won’t keep on getting stuck in them.
- Another thing you need to check is the quality of ropes available for attaching the net to the poles.
- Ensure that they are sturdy and generally of good quality.
- Also, ensure that they are long enough for the role.
- Further, consider the ease with which the net can be put on/pulled off the poles.
List of Top 10 Best Badminton Nets in India-Buyers Guide
1. RAISCO R716F Badminton Net
This particular net is made of high-quality nylon. It is blue in color and of standard size.
- Reasonably low price
- Rain or sun exposure doesn’t affect it too much (due to UV stabilization)
- Comes with four side tape
- Assembly can take a bit of time
- Pole tying ropes are quite delicate/need careful handling
2. SONGMICS Badminton Net Set
What you get here is a portable sports set. It is suitable for use in other sports like tennis, pickleball, and kids’ volleyball.
- Comes as a complete set (with poles and stakes)
- Versatile (can be used for many sports, besides badminton)
- Easy to transport around
- Relatively higher price
- Somewhat complex design (meaning it can be slightly hard to set up)
3. COSCO Nylon (Brown) Badminton Net
This is one of those nets that are suitable for outdoor use. It is also rather easy to set up.
- High-quality net mesh for durability
- Net is of adequate height and width
- Pocket-friendly price
- Somewhat short ropes for tying to poles
- Set up can require up to 5-10 minutes
4. Netco Power Badminton Nylon Net
The core material for this net is the mono-filament thread: hence durable. It meets standard size requirements.
- Net has a good bounce effect
- Reasonably low price
- Suitable for use in professional courts
- Pole attachment ropes are somewhat delicate
- Net gaps may look too big for some (hence capable of occasionally ‘capturing’ the shuttlecock)
5. ILARTE Badminton net
This is another low price badminton net. Comes with free four-side tape.
- Quite easy to set up
- Ropes for pole attachment are quite sturdy
- The price is affordable
- Corners somewhat prone to fraying
- May eventually suffer effect from exposure to sunshine/UV rays
6. SUNBA YOUTH Badminton Net
Here is yet another versatile badminton net (suitable for use in other sports like tennis and volleyball). It is also highly portable.
- Suitable for use even without stakes
- Ideal for both indoors and outdoors usage
- Portable (easy to carry around)
- Relatively high price
- Set up may require some practice
7. VIVOHOME Badminton Net Set
What you get here is a complete net set (including a stand and carry bag). It is versatile and can facilitate multiple sports.
- Gives various size adjustment options
- Considerably easy to set up
- Sturdy design for durability
- Price is somewhat high
- The design may appear too complex for some (hence hard to understand initially)
8. Badminton Nylon Net for Sports Training Practice
The nylon thread used in making this net is of .85 caliber (hence high quality). The net meets standard size requirements.
- Reasonably affordable price
- Net can last long with proper care
- Simple design (hence easy to set up)
- Some may feel that the height is superfluous
- Bigger net gaps may also mean that shuttlecock sometimes gets stuck
9. Gyronax Badminton Net
This is another quality nylon badminton net. As per industry standards, it comes with the free 4-side tape.
- Suitable for both indoors and outdoors use
- Net gaps are small (so shuttlecock doesn’t easily get stuck)
- Nylon twists are sturdy and the net can therefore be durable
- Ropes for tying to the poles are somewhat delicate
- Borders may be prone to fraying after some time
10. SPANCO Badminton Net
Here is one of the most affordable badminton nets in the market. It is also lightweight and meets standard court size requirements.
- Very easy to install on poles
- Isn’t affected by rain or sunshine
- Very low/affordable price
- Net gaps may look somewhat big (hence shuttlecock may occasionally stick in)
- Only one border has protective stitching (the others may be prone to fraying)
Investing in a good-quality badminton net will help you enjoy badminton games for longer without the need for replacement. This guide should be helpful to you while shopping for the best quality badminton nets within India.
What size is a badminton net?
The standard badminton net should have a height of 5 feet 1 inch at the edges. That translates into about 1.55 meters. At the center, the height should be 5 feet (about 1.524 meters).
What is the cost of a badminton net?
The net alone (without things like poles and carry bag) should be in the 190 to 400 Indian Rupees range. When sold with other components like poles, stakes, and carry-bag the price can easily rise to 12,000-14,000 Indian rupees.
What is the height of the net in badminton?
At the edges, it should be 5 ft 1 inch. At the center, it should be 5 feet.