Amplifier speaker is also known as active speakers or powered monitors, are sound systems featured with built-in power amplification. Amplifier speakers are widely used for commercial purposes such as music gigs and small concerts.
It also used as an audio device used as Bluetooth speakers, subwoofers, and other home sound speakers to connect with television sets and PC systems. Also, check the buyers guide for Ahuja Amplifiers.
Amplifier speakers do not need additional amplifiers, they can be simply plugged into a mixing board or any music source directly. Amplifier speakers are portable and very easy to set up and do not require connectivity with external amplifiers.
Best 10 Amplifier speakers Available Online in India
Features to keep in mind while choosing an amplifier speaker
- Amplifier speakers are typically an all-in-one solution sound system. You simply need to plug in your line-level sound and you are all set. You could easily adjust and make changes to sculpt the sound according to your requirement. Usually, these setting options are at the back of the speakers.
- The installation and set-up are very simple, and most of them are battery powered, which makes them a great portable sound system.
- They can come in handy as monitors for on-stage performances. You can simply connect your additional speakers to the pre-fader aux which is on the rear of the amplifier speakers, and you can get a direct monitor mix out of it.
Types of amplifier speakers
Amplifier speakers can be categorized based on their style and size. Below is a list of the most common styles of amplifier speakers available.
The amplifier speakers are mounted onto walls and are known to provide high-quality sounds.
These speakers are installed inside walls with the help of professional technicians. These are ideal for music studios, living rooms, and bedrooms where you would like them to be installed permanently. They are durable and high in performance.
These are slightly bigger in size and better in performance. They are portable, however, they require a lot of space. These amplifier speakers are the best choice for musical events.
They have the same mechanism as floor-standing speakers, however, they are compact.
These amplifier speakers are very small and can also be used with subwoofers.
Buyers Guide for Amplifier Speakers
Apart from style and size, there are other elements in terms of specifications that one should consider before purchasing an amplifier speaker.
Amplifier speakers are available in a wide range of sizes – 8, 10, 12, and 15 inches are the most common ones available. The sizes of the woofer depend on the overall size of the amplifier speakers. This driver produces a low-frequency sound known as the bass. The bigger the woofer the greater bass it produces.
Watts used as the measurement for power consumption on electric devices and appliances. For amplifier speakers, after the sound processed, watts measure the output. In general, the higher the wattage of an amplifier speaker, the more powerful and louder sound it produces.
With the frequent update in technology, most manufacturers are widely producing efficient and effective products, however, there are still those who produce low-quality products available at affordable rates. You can find amplifier speakers that have a low wattage but loud sound due to their efficiency and you can also find amplifiers with high wattage but poor sound quality.
Efficiency and Sound Quality
Quality and loudness are two different things. The total harmonic distortion (THD) is a measurement that tells how efficient a speaker is at reading the music and producing the sound quality without distortion. Speakers with low figures of THD produce more accurate sounds with less distortion.
How to use an amplifier speaker?
- Amplifier speakers or powered speakers are engineered with built-in amplifiers. They only require connection to a music source and power supply to be able to use. Most of the common compact models are portable and powered with a rechargeable battery.
- Amplifier speakers can be connected directly to a low-level source without an additional amplifier. This signal directed from the main source to the crossover that divides it into smaller frequency bands and then imparts them to the amplifier that transmits it to the drivers.
- Amplifier speakers are widely used and preferred over other sound systems due to their features and better sound quality they produce. They are compatible and can be used with all sorts of music sources such as PCs, televisions, smartphones, and larger sound systems used for live concerts.
- Amplifier speakers can be used as monitor speakers that are used on stage facing the musician. They can also complement the main speakers when pointed towards the audience at a concert. They can be used as indoor sound systems, for office and home use.
Top 10 Best amplifier speakers in India
1. Mackie Thump12A – 1000W 12 Powered Amplifier speaker
The Thump12A is a 1300-watts powered speaker by Mackie. This versatile amplifier speaker is featured with a line, mic, vita preamps, 2-channel mixer, and a one-click button for eliminating feedback. This Mackie loudspeaker is featured with an improved and efficient design producing a dynamic bass. The speaker’s specifications are as follows – Size: 12 inches, Watts Peak-1300, and Weight: 35.5 pounds.
– Lightweight and portable
– Built-in mixers
– Not convenient for indoor use
2. JBL EON615 Powered Amplifier Speaker
The JBL EON615 1000-watts powered speaker. This amplifier speaker featured with 2 XLR input levels for mic and line, 2 separate and 1 master control for volume, an upgraded 2 channel mixer, and an XLR loop-thru for multipurpose connectivity with additional sound equipment. The powered speaker supports iOS and Android devices via Bluetooth. The speaker’s specifications are as follows – Size: 15 inches, Watts Peak- 1000, and Weight: 39 pounds.
– Durable design
– High-quality sound
– Issues with Bluetooth connectivity
3. JBL EON610 10-inch Powered Amplifier Speaker (Black)
The JBL EON610 1000-watts 10 inches cabled powered speaker. This versatile amplifier speaker featured with a waveguide technology 5-way equalizer, Bluetooth controllable DSP, multiple configurations for setup, and dual combination XLR inputs. The speaker’s specifications are as follows -Size: 10 inches, Watts Peak- 1000, Weight: 26 pounds.
– 5-way equalizer
– Bluetooth controllable DSP
– Heats up quickly
4. Alto Professional TS212W | 2-Way Powered Loudspeaker with Bluetooth (1100 W, 12 inch)
This TS212W powered loudspeaker is a 12-inch 1100 watts speaker by Alto. This amplifier speaker comes with a 12-inch woofer, 2-inch voice coil, and 1-inch neodymium compression driver. Featured with a built-in 3 channel mixer, 2-band equalizers, and Bluetooth connectivity. The speaker’s specifications are 12 inches in size, 1100 watts peak, and 23 pounds in weight.
– Suitable for small gigs or as a stage monitor and a subwoofer
– Built-in 3-channel mixer
– Plain design
5. JBL Professional NANO K4-4″ Full-range Powered Monitor Pair
This JBL Nano K4-4 pair of full-range powered monitor speakers. This pair of studio monitors feature an advanced and stylish design. It comes with a volume control slider, power switch, 3.5 mm jack for headphones, and a threaded nut at the bottom for mounting on a microphone stand. Featured with multiple connectivity options along with Bluetooth connectivity. The speaker’s specifications are 4 inches in size, and 28.5 pounds in weight.
– Ideal for indoor use (home and office)
– Not ideal for outdoors
6. JBL Professional EON ONE Compact – All-in-One Battery-Powered Portable PA with Professional-Grade Mixer
The JBL EON ONE is a portable all-in-one PA system. This multipurpose sound system features a DBX equalizer, Lexicon effects, and Sound Craft mixer’s ducking tech. This all-in-one PA system featured with Bluetooth and app connectivity, digital 4 channel mixer, treble and bass control, phantom power, and up to 12 hours playback time on a full charge.
– Rechargeable battery
– High-quality sound
– Cannot set master volume at zero through the app
7. Alto Professional TX208 | 300 W 8-Inch 2-Way Powered Loudspeaker With Active Crossover, Performance-Driven Connectivity, and Integrated Analogue Limiter
This 2-way powered loudspeaker is a 300 watts 8-inch speaker by Alto. This lightweight speaker featured with an XLR input for mic and line, volume control, and an 8-inch woofer with a 1-inch titanium compression driver. The speaker’s specifications are as follows – Size: 8 inches, Watts Peak: 300, and Weight: 14 pounds.
– Portable and lightweight
– Limited features
8. AHUJA PORTABLE PA SYSTEM BSX-602DP WITH, BLUETOOTH USB & ECHO EFFECT (RECHARGEABLE BATTERY)
This portable BSX-602DP is a rechargeable PA system by Ahuja. Featured with 50 watts, built-in rechargeable battery, Class D technology, microphone input, and output of 12V DC for wireless receiver connectivity. The PA system supports SD, USB, and Bluetooth connectivity.
The AHUJA BTA 660 is a 40 watts PA system with a trolley. The PA system featured with 2 wireless mics, 2 input jacks for mic or line, a controller for tone settings, an LED battery indicator, 1 music, and 1 aux input. The PA system supports music sources such as SD cards, MMC cards, and Bluetooth connectivity.
– Portable trolley shape
– Rechargeable battery
– Not suitable for events with a larger audience
10. OSL Oliver systems limited Pro 8 – Powered 8-inch Compact Speaker for Monitoring, House of Worship and Home Installations
The OSL studio monitor 8 inches 500 watts compact speaker featured with 3 built-in channel mixers. Fitted with an ABS rubber enclosure for maximum protection and resistance to heat and dust. Featured with M8 sockets for simple and quick installation.
– Durable ABS rubber protection
– 3 built-in mixers
– Sound quality is not that good
Amplifier speakers widely used for commercial purposes such as music gigs and small concerts. Speakers used as an audio device used as Bluetooth speakers, subwoofers, and other home sound speakers to connect with television sets and PC systems. Amplifier speakers categorized based on their style, size, and specifications. The most common styles of amplifier speakers are, on-wall, in-wall, floor-standing, bookshelf, and satellite.
Which speaker is best for my amplifier speaker?
You can opt for an amplifier capable of delivering twice the amount of power compared to your speaker’s power rating. For instance, if your speaker’s program rating is 300 watts, it would require a 700 watts amplifier.
What is an amplifier speaker?
They are suitable for a wide range of purposes, including music studios, music gigs, concerts, and even for indoor uses. The built-in amplifier enhances the sound quality and bass.