A torque wrench is a tool used to fasten and tighten nuts and bolts to precision. A torque wrench looks similar to a socket wrench, but it has a special internal mechanism that works to fasten and tighten the bolts or nuts. This wrench tightens the nuts to a predetermined torque value.
This wrench is a useful tool that fastens the nuts or bolts in proper tension. It is required when repairing car engines, changing the tire of a car, or even when major powertrain projects are undertaken. For instance, over-tightening of the cylindrical gases can result in coolant loss and expensive damage.
Also, check the buyer’s guide for the best Impact Wrench, Pipe Wrenches, Impact Wrenches, Most useful hand tools, DeWalt power tools, Makita Power Tools, Drill Machines, Angle Grinders, Welding Machines, Hand Tools Kit, Line Laser Levels, Laser Distance Measurer, Brush Cutter Machines, chain saw machines, oscillating saw machines, circular saw machines, chop saw machines, jigsaw machines, miter saws, band saws, scroll saw, coping saw, reciprocating saws, Table saw Machines, Pruning Saws, hacksaws & Pole saws.
Thus, the tool prevents the occurrence of any damage due to over-tightening. On the flip side, when the joints are under-tightened, they come apart. So, It prevents these accidents from occurring.
Top 10 Torque Wrenches in India
Features to keep in mind while choosing a torque wrench
Many features of this wrench differentiate inefficient wrenches from efficient ones. Their all-rounder wrenches are used in multiple applications. It preferred that the wrench be made of metal, as they do not rust and last long. Another great feature of a good wrench is that its head is reversible. The reversible wrench can work in either direction, allowing you to work flexibly with great ease. It also has a simple button, which determines the appropriate level and fastens the bolt until the tool clicks. This is called audible click technology.
Types of torque wrenches
There are four basic types of torque wrenches:
Beam (Or Deflection)
This is the most basic type of wrench that consists of a lever arm and a small bar that has the indicator. The lever arm extends from the handle to the head and when the wrench is rotated it indicates the torque value.
This is a type of wrench that applies a simple mechanical system. It has a large pointer indicator that shows clearly when the desired torque value has been reached.
The click wrench is more convenient to use because when the predetermined torque value that has been set in the tool is reached the wrench makes a loud clicking sound to indicate.
The digital wrenches are the most precise. The electronics within indicate when the torque value is achieved via an LED display.
Best Torque wrenches Online-Buyer’s Guide
- Torque wrenches are useful tools that help in tightening nuts and bolts with great accuracy. Different useful features of this wrench were considered before finalizing the purchase. There are a large number of companies producing wrenches. You can compare the different brands to get a high-quality wrench.
- The metal torque wrench is recommended because it is durable. If you are not going to use your wrench frequently, you can buy an entry-level or low-budget wrench that suits your requirements. Simple wrenches are also easy-to-use. If you want a high-performing wrench, you have to set a high budget for a better finesse.
- Costly wrenches are ideal for the small nuts and bolts typically found in a car engine or complicated systems. There are many other features such as accuracy rate, range, and adjustment rates that must be kept in mind while shopping for wrenches. If you are a professional, digital torque wrenches are the way to go. They boast a large LCD screen. Digital models offer great accuracy and simplicity at the same time. Digital models offer greater functionality and therefore are a great value for money.
How does a torque wrench work?
- There are different types of torque wrenches that work in different ways. A beam wrench has a scale, set to a particular torque value. Once, the handle reaches the set value, it shows the torque value that you are applying to the work piece. Click and split also work similarly. The digital wrench is technologically more advanced than other all other types.
- Each type of torque-wrench works according to its mechanism. On the digital wrench, the value is set on the digital screen. There is a transducer inside, which helps in putting an accurate torque value using a digital wrench. Then, the transducer converts the pressure into an electrical signal.
- Once, the desired electrical signal is acquired, the digital wrench indicates this through a beep, buzz, or light. The indication did via light – usually green, yellow, or red. These lights signal that you approached and are done.
List of Top 10 Best torque wrenches in India Buyers Guide
1. TEKTON 24335 Drive Click Torque Wrench
This is a top-quality wrench, which has high performance and good accuracy.
- Clicks when the preset value reached
- Made of steel, therefore, durable
- It has a reversible head ratchet, which makes this wrench work in both directions – clockwise and anti-clockwise
- Some customers have complained that this wrench value is set at ft. /lb. and not Nm
2. TEKTON 24320
This torque wrench offers excellent quality for the price. At this lower price range, the click is audible and reliable.
- It is pre-calibrated, so it is a ready-to-use product
- It is made of steel, so it does not break or wear out
- The range is highly contrasted, so it is quite easy-to-use
- One has to move the wrench steadily for the perfect click
3. Xhaiden® Aiwa 10 Pcs Multipurpose Wrench
This is a multi-purpose torque wrench, which comes with a ¼” ratchet handle spanner and socket set.
- The screwdriver also included in the set
- 3/8″ reversible ratchet also included in the package
- 6″ spinner handle and socket 15mm/16mm also come with the wrench
- Not very good quality
4. Hawk Mega Drive Torque Wrench
This set of sockets includes all tools required for domestic DIY work and bolt/screw removal.
- Comes with a set of handy tools such as spinner handle, bit adaptor, extension bars, ratchet wrench, universal joint, Torx, hex, sliding T bar, and slotted socket bits
- All of the tools are made of vanadium chrome-hardened and tempered
- The socket set is stored in a sturdy case, which makes its transportation an easier task
- Customers complain that the nuts/screw fittings are loose
5. Grizzly Torque Wrench
Grizzly offers a high-quality tool kit consisting of 46 pieces. It has an impressive appearance.
- There 13 sockets offered in the case -4, 5,5, 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 mm
- The case comes with two extension bars, 1 ratchet handle, 1 sliding T handle, 1 flexible extension, and1 a universal joint
- The case consists of different bit sockets such as Star T8,T10,T15,T20,T25,T30,T40, Phillips PH1, PH2, PH3,Hex 3,4,5,6,7,8 mm., Slotted 4, 5,7 mm and Pozidriv PZ1, PZ2, PZ3
- It only fit the professionals
6. AmazonBasics Torque Wrench
This is a click-wrench offering measurement in both lb. and Nm.
- It is a ½” drive click wrench, which offers 20-150 ft.-lb./27.1-203.5 Nm range
- Polished chrome finish
- The wrench was easily cleaned and wiped
- Resists corrosion and rust
- Some consumers have found the problem with the click
7. Khadija 9jacks Torque Wrench
This is a DIY repair kit, which comes with a wide range of tools. This is also an emergency car kit tool.
- It’s a master set of 46 pieces
- Tools come in a sturdy and compact box
- The tools are made of sturdy material
- The storage box is made of plastic, not steel
8. Gadget Hero’s Torque Wrench
This is a high-quality wrench that is specially designed for professionals.
- The wrench has a special design, which automatically adjusts to any shape or size
- This powered for electrical drilling
- The wrench has a universal socket
- Only good for light-duty projects
9. Dayton Tools
This is an efficient wrench with an interchangeable head.
- It has a torque range of 42-210Nm
- The product comes with 11 pieces of spanner set
- The spanner head sizes include 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 27, 30mm
- It is an expensive product
10. Mac Master Torque Wrench
This is an efficient wrench. It performs its job very well.
- It has a torque range of /ft: `05-25, LC: 1, Nm: `05-35, LC: 2, Kg. Mts.
- It has a square drive of 3/8 inches
- It is a lightweight wrench of 0.7kg
- It is not suitable for professionals
You have become familiar with the features, pros, and cons of the most popular torque wrench online along with a good buying guide. All these things make it easy for you to make a good choice of the best torque wrench and have the rest of the benefits.
1. Which is a good torque wrench to buy?
CDI Snap-on 2503MFRPH is considered one of the best torque wrenches to buy.
2. How do torque wrenches work?
The scale of this wrench is set to a specific value. Once the handle reaches the set value, the wrench clicks and tightens the nut/bolts.
3. Is a torque wrench the same as a ratchet?
No. There is a difference between the torque wrench and a ratchet. Firstly, the ratchet is utilized to tighten the bolt. Then, a wrench is used to apply the final torque setting.
4. How should a torque wrench leave after use?
Once done working with this wrench, you must bring it down to a minimum scale setting. You must remember to never bring it down to zero otherwise it can weaken if stored for an extended period.
5. Is it OK to loosen bolts with a torque wrench?
A torque wrench is used to loosen bolts within the maximum torque. If the bolt is not undone, you have to consider another tool.
6. How much torque is needed to tighten lug nuts?
For steel, the general rule is 80ft/lb., whereas the general rule for aluminum is 100ft/lb.
7. Why must you always use a torque wrench when tightening alloy wheels?
To avoid distorting or stressing the wheel, you must use this wrench.
8. How tight is hand tight torque?
Hand-tight is approximately about 2ft-lb.
9. Can you use regular sockets with a torque wrench?
All these wrenches have square drives, wherein sockets are fitted. A wrench cannot be used without a socket.
10. How do you test a torque wrench?
It is recommended that you must take your wrench to a professional for calibration. The torque calibration laboratory is the best place to test a torque wrench.